Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 and Histogram

D70 and Histogram

iraxlenb@gmail.com

Hi All,

Trying to learn the ropes on the new D70 I got...

When I down load the images into Picasa (i shoot in jpeg), the
histogram doesnt cover the full range for most of the photos, about
1/4th of the range has no values, at one of the ends of the histogram.
The photos look very dull and lifeless. If I do an auto-contrast, then
the pictures look much better. Is there something I need to change in
the settings on the camera for this? I tried resetting all values to
default, and still see the same problem...

TIA,
irax.

Buy_Sell

I have found a lot of very useful information here.

http://www.pbase.com/dlcmh/d70_camer...n_and_controls

Jeremy Nixon

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> When I down load the images into Picasa (i shoot in jpeg), the
> histogram doesnt cover the full range for most of the photos, about
> 1/4th of the range has no values, at one of the ends of the histogram.
> The photos look very dull and lifeless. If I do an auto-contrast, then
> the pictures look much better.

The histogram gives an indication of exposure. Which end is empty? It
sounds like the right end, which would indicate that the shot is
underexposed. The automatic exposure can be fooled; you just have to
learn to compensate for it.

--
Jeremy | http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Buy_Sell

Regarding the dull and lifeless photos, this link has a good
explanation on how and why you should consider using custom tonal
curves instead of just increasing the exposure compensation.

http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/c...ne_curves.html

------------------------------
(E-Mail Removed)

Hi All,
Trying to learn the ropes on the new D70 I got...
The photos look very dull and lifeless. If I do an auto-contrast, then
the pictures look much better. Is there something I need to change in
the settings on the camera for this? I tried resetting all values to
default, and still see the same problem...

bmoag

Digital SLRs make for very heavy P&S cameras, which is all they are if you
shoot in jpeg.
I too find jpeg prcessing in my D70 to be very unsatisfactory.
The D70 defaults to underexposure by design as there is greater room to pull
up detail from underexposed areas than there is to recover detail from
overexposed areas, in this digital images are comparable to slide film. The
engineers who designed the D70 wisely assumed that those who want the best
results from this camera will be making decisions about how the image will
be processed, not an immutable jpeg in-camera algorithm.
You can make adjustments to how the camera does its jpeg thing but I
personally would not bother.
In order to see what this remarkable camera is capable of, even in jpeg,
you will have to learn a bit about image processing, histograms, etc.
Why not take your photography to a whole new level, shoot in RAW mode, and
learn how to manipulate the images to get what you want? A histogram
normalized in RAW is a completely different experience than a histogram that
has its ends chopped off in jpeg processing or by an auto-optimizing filter
in a photo imaging program.
You bought the camera, now learn how to use it properly.

Iraxl Enb

> In order to see what this remarkable camera is capable of, even in jpeg,
> you will have to learn a bit about image processing, histograms, etc.
> Why not take your photography to a whole new level, shoot in RAW mode, and
> learn how to manipulate the images to get what you want? A histogram
> normalized in RAW is a completely different experience than a histogram that
> has its ends chopped off in jpeg processing or by an auto-optimizing filter
> in a photo imaging program.

Okay, guess I will try out raw...

> You bought the camera, now learn how to use it properly.

Or I can just return it and get a rebel xt, which
seemed to have better pictures off the camera, in jpeg...

irax.
(duck and run for cover before the d70-350d holy wars
begin)

Buy_Sell

A few days ago, I had the exact same feeling as you. I spent a fair
bit of money on a camera that I just didn't understand. My Sony Mavica
point and shoots were taking better pictures than the D70. Then I
decided to investigate why so many people praise this camera, while I
was having such a miserable time with it. bmoag is right about
shooting raw but I haven't got that far with my new camera, yet. RAW
is an interesting feature because you don't have to worry about your
white balance, saturation, or anything. This can all be sorted out
later in Photoshop.

In the meantime, I have discovered how to make this camera a great
point and shoot camera. Have a look at the following website and you
will see the dramatic results that you are looking for. Then download
the trial version of Nikon Capture to install a custom curve into your
camera. The process is fast and painless. I can now honestly respect
this camera when a few days ago, I was starting to think that I had got
a lemon. The D70 can be custom programmed to give you the images that
you would like to see come right out of the camera without any post
processing.

http://www.dahalan.com/html/modules....icle&sid=2&PHP

http://fotogenetic.dearingfilm.com/c..._curves_3.html

------------------------------
Iraxl Enb

> In order to see what this remarkable camera is capable of, even in jpeg,
> you will have to learn a bit about image processing, histograms, etc.
> Why not take your photography to a whole new level, shoot in RAW mode, and
> learn how to manipulate the images to get what you want? A histogram
> normalized in RAW is a completely different experience than a histogram that
> has its ends chopped off in jpeg processing or by an auto-optimizing filter
> in a photo imaging program.

Okay, guess I will try out raw...

> You bought the camera, now learn how to use it properly.

Or I can just return it and get a rebel xt, which
seemed to have better pictures off the camera, in jpeg...

Iraxl Enb

Thanks for the pointer, I will try that out later today...

Its a bummer that the Nikon Capture software is an
extra with a camera that costs so much in the first place!

irax.

Tesco News

"Iraxl Enb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dn1s1h$(E-Mail Removed)...

>> In order to see what this remarkable camera is capable of, even in jpeg,
>> you will have to learn a bit about image processing, histograms, etc.
>> Why not take your photography to a whole new level, shoot in RAW mode,
>> and learn how to manipulate the images to get what you want? A histogram
>> normalized in RAW is a completely different experience than a histogram
>> that has its ends chopped off in jpeg processing or by an auto-optimizing
>> filter in a photo imaging program.

> Okay, guess I will try out raw...
>
>> You bought the camera, now learn how to use it properly.

> Or I can just return it and get a rebel xt, which seemed to have better
> pictures off the camera, in jpeg...
>
> irax.
> (duck and run for cover before the d70-350d holy wars begin)

Right.

Do you think that B Moag, or me really care which Camera you use.

The D70 is a very good camera, as is the 350XT.

If you want to stick to JPEG, then you can vary the Settings in the D70 Menu
to produce the bright, sharp and saturated Jpegs you want, just like those
produced by the 350XT. Or you could even trade it in and buy a much cheaper
P & S, which will give you those same sort of results.

I do hope you don't mind, if I don't have my D70 set up like that. I prefer
the quality of the 16 x 12 inch pictures I get.

Roy G

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Mon, 05 Dec 2005 14:45:45 -0600, in rec.photo.digital Iraxl Enb
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thanks for the pointer, I will try that out later today...
>
>Its a bummer that the Nikon Capture software is an
>extra with a camera that costs so much in the first place!

If all you care about is being able to upload profiles, then there is a
more inexpensive program written to do that for which info has been posted
from time to time. Search the Google archive. Also, as far as raw
processing goes you can download a free copy of Raw Shooter Essentials from
the Pixmantec site at http://esd.element5.com/product.html?productid=545269
It is Windoze only however.

See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at