Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > 5D Impressions??

5D Impressions??

W (winhag)

Folks,

To those who have purchased a 5D and have now used it for some time,
can you comment on your impressions both positive and negative (no pun
intended)?
Is it more, less, or about what you expected? Any surprises?.
Comparisons to 20D (or other cameras) from an image 'quality'
standpoint?

Thanks

Sarah Brown

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
W (winhag) <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Folks,
>
>To those who have purchased a 5D and have now used it for some time,
>can you comment on your impressions both positive and negative (no pun
>intended)?
>Is it more, less, or about what you expected? Any surprises?.

I'm very happy with mine. It has exceeded my expectations. The only problems
I'd say I have with it are that a) they took the function key away that the
10D had, so there's no dedicated FEL button, and b) The single
custom-settings mode is a bit limiting - I'd like three of them.

Apart from that, image quality is great. Ergonomics are good (I don't wear
glasses though - I've heard that some who do dislike the viewfinder), and
I'm finding the picture styles more useful than I thought I would,
especially the monochrome modes.
--
Sarah (nee Chris) Brown - business as usual during renovation

Gender Dysphoria info: http://www.looking-glass.greenend.org.uk/help.htm
http://www.elevated.fsnet.co.uk/index-page7.html

lens crack

"Sarah Brown" <(E-Mail Removed)_uce_please.com> wrote in message
> Sarah (nee Chris) Brown - business as usual during renovation
>
> Gender Dysphoria info: http://www.looking-glass.greenend.org.uk/help.htm

http://www.elevated.fsnet.co.uk/index-page7.html

---

"Male and female He created them" (!)

Skip M

"W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Folks,
>
> To those who have purchased a 5D and have now used it for some time,
> can you comment on your impressions both positive and negative (no pun
> intended)?
> Is it more, less, or about what you expected? Any surprises?.
> Comparisons to 20D (or other cameras) from an image 'quality'
> standpoint?
>
> Thanks

We've had ours since early Oct, "upgrading" from 20Ds. We bought them
mainly for the capability to use wide angle lenses to their fullest extent,
the extra mp was incidental. But we've been surprised by the overall
improvement in quality of the images vs. the 20D. Smoother tonal
transitions, better colors (despite PopPhoto rating it behind the 20D) and
less post processing have been the unexpected payoffs.
Battery life is shorter, 400-600 images per battery, vs 600-800 for the 20D,
it takes longer to process files, both in the camera, so it takes longer for
images to show up on the LCD, marginally, and in the computer, so it takes a
little longer to download files.
Images are small, but this wedding was shot with both of our 5Ds...
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com/SJ1.html

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com