Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > FastStone Image Viewer quirk?

FastStone Image Viewer quirk?

Terry Pinnell

Another puzzle! I have a dozen JPGs in a folder. All very similar
size, about 2300 x 1600, b/w scans. The first one won't open in FS
Image Viewer 2.27. The other 11 are fine. All 12 open OK in seven
other viewers I've tried: IrfanView, Paintshop Pro 8, Paintshop Pro 7,
Corel Photo House, MS Paint, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer,
PhotoFiltre.

Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
please?

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

oldfart

Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Another puzzle! I have a dozen JPGs in a folder. All very similar
> size, about 2300 x 1600, b/w scans. The first one won't open in FS
> Image Viewer 2.27. The other 11 are fine. All 12 open OK in seven
> other viewers I've tried: IrfanView, Paintshop Pro 8, Paintshop Pro 7,
> Corel Photo House, MS Paint, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer,
> PhotoFiltre.
>
> Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
> please?

I have the latest version and sometimes when I email some pictures with it,
for some reason it will drop my internet connection out and I have to
reconnect and do it again and it will send then, Don't know why but it does
it on the wifes computer as well?????
regards
oldfart

Terry Pinnell

oldfart <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Another puzzle! I have a dozen JPGs in a folder. All very similar
>> size, about 2300 x 1600, b/w scans. The first one won't open in FS
>> Image Viewer 2.27. The other 11 are fine. All 12 open OK in seven
>> other viewers I've tried: IrfanView, Paintshop Pro 8, Paintshop Pro 7,
>> Corel Photo House, MS Paint, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer,
>> PhotoFiltre.
>>
>> Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
>> please?
>>

>I have the latest version and sometimes when I email some pictures with it,
>for some reason it will drop my internet connection out and I have to
>reconnect and do it again and it will send then, Don't know why but it does
>it on the wifes computer as well?????
>regards
>oldfart

Thanks. I've now updated to the latest 2.29. The problem remains the
same. I also tried resizing it to 50%, but FS still refuses to open
it! Plainly *something* in that file that FS doesn't like. Who knows,
maybe the same sort of thing that drops your net connection? <g>

I'll report back if I get a reply from my email to the author.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Ron Hunter

Terry Pinnell wrote:
> Another puzzle! I have a dozen JPGs in a folder. All very similar
> size, about 2300 x 1600, b/w scans. The first one won't open in FS
> Image Viewer 2.27. The other 11 are fine. All 12 open OK in seven
> other viewers I've tried: IrfanView, Paintshop Pro 8, Paintshop Pro 7,
> Corel Photo House, MS Paint, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer,
> PhotoFiltre.
>
> Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
> please?

No, but some programs are just not as forgiving of errors, missing data,
or minor corruption of the header.

CoMa

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:27:05 +0000, Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
>please?

I had that problem with some jpg files in a earlier
FastStone Image Viewer versions.

I sent the program author one of the files and after
a few day a new version came out and the problem
was solved.

/CoMa

Terry Pinnell

CoMa <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 19:27:05 +0000, Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>
>>Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
>>please?

>I had that problem with some jpg files in a earlier
>FastStone Image Viewer versions.
>
>I sent the program author one of the files and after
>a few day a new version came out and the problem
>was solved.

Thanks. As per my last follow-up, latest version 2.29 still has the
problem. I've sent the author the file, so maybe he will be able to
fix it as he did for yours.

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK

Splibbilla

Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Another puzzle! I have a dozen JPGs in a folder. All very similar
> size, about 2300 x 1600, b/w scans. The first one won't open in FS
> Image Viewer 2.27. The other 11 are fine. All 12 open OK in seven
> other viewers I've tried: IrfanView, Paintshop Pro 8, Paintshop Pro 7,
> Corel Photo House, MS Paint, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer,
> PhotoFiltre.
>
> Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
> please?

have you tried some crude file edits (in other app, then save to new temp name) to see if
there's just some freak value in the FS 'allergenic' 12th file?

Terry Pinnell

Splibbilla <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Terry Pinnell <(E-Mail Removed)> in
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Another puzzle! I have a dozen JPGs in a folder. All very similar
>> size, about 2300 x 1600, b/w scans. The first one won't open in FS
>> Image Viewer 2.27. The other 11 are fine. All 12 open OK in seven
>> other viewers I've tried: IrfanView, Paintshop Pro 8, Paintshop Pro 7,
>> Corel Photo House, MS Paint, Windows Picture & Fax Viewer,
>> PhotoFiltre.
>>
>> Anyone else ever had a similar mis-behaving file with FS Image Viewer
>> please?

>have you tried some crude file edits (in other app, then save to new temp name) to see if
>there's just some freak value in the FS 'allergenic' 12th file?

Thanks. Just went off to try that, as it sounds promising, but darned
if I can find the file now!

--
Terry, West Sussex, UK