Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Resizing - What is it and when should you use it?

Resizing - What is it and when should you use it?

Alan Wonsowski

EOM

Thanks,
Alan

m Ransley

When my card is full I resize some shots to what I need to free up
memory, Resizing fair shots from 5mp to vga-3mp depending on photo value
and quality frees up alot of memory.

Joseph Meehan

Alan Wonsowski wrote:
> EOM
>
> Thanks,
> Alan

It is an easy way to reduce the size of an image file when you may be
sending them using e-mail. It makes a copy of the original in a smaller
format. Note, you don't want to use this small file to make a large print.
Use the original for that.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

imagejunkie

Note that resizing in most programs does NOT automatically make a copy of
the original file - it modifies that file and if it is then saved under the
original file name it will OVERWRITE the original. As the poster points
out, a resized (smaller file) contains less data and so is not suitable for
printing in larger sizes. For that reason, it is best to keep the original
file intact and save the resized file to a different file name.

Lester L.

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:04:54 -0500, "imagejunkie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

|Note that resizing in most programs does NOT automatically make a copy of
|the original file - it modifies that file and if it is then saved under the
|original file name it will OVERWRITE the original. As the poster points
|out, a resized (smaller file) contains less data and so is not suitable for
|printing in larger sizes. For that reason, it is best to keep the original
|file intact and save the resized file to a different file name.

And, an easy way to do this is:

Put the word ORIG in every filename as you offload your memory card (very easy
in Windows Scanner and Cam Wizard.)

Get in the habit of saving the file as the filename without ORIG in it, FIRST
THING, upon opening it with your editing software.
--
LesterOfPuppets
http://www.dangpow.com/~stumprok/

Gene Palmiter

Or...shoot RAW...there is no way to overwrite it....well...I never tried
real hard...suppose I could if I tried real, real hard.

--
Thanks,
Gene Palmiter

www.route611.com & Route 611 Magazine
"Lester L." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 08:04:54 -0500, "imagejunkie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> |Note that resizing in most programs does NOT automatically make a copy of
> |the original file - it modifies that file and if it is then saved under
> the
> |original file name it will OVERWRITE the original. As the poster points
> |out, a resized (smaller file) contains less data and so is not suitable
> for
> |printing in larger sizes. For that reason, it is best to keep the
> original
> |file intact and save the resized file to a different file name.
>
> And, an easy way to do this is:
>
> Put the word ORIG in every filename as you offload your memory card (very
> easy
> in Windows Scanner and Cam Wizard.)
>
> Get in the habit of saving the file as the filename without ORIG in it,
> FIRST
> THING, upon opening it with your editing software.
> --
> LesterOfPuppets
> http://www.dangpow.com/~stumprok/
> http://thedings.servebeer.com/

Anabella M.

m Ransley, If I may make a suggestion to you, perhaps you would benefit
from acquiring an extra card. The recent prices are very reasonable and
also avoids the issues of resizing previous shots.

Just a thought, take care!, Anabella M.

m Ransley wrote:

> When my card is full I resize some shots to what I need to free up
> memory, Resizing fair shots from 5mp to vga-3mp depending on photo value
> and quality frees up alot of memory.

--
Anabella M.

.....it's better to have loved and lost
than to have never seen "Lost in Space"!
--Kelly Bundy

m Ransley

I just got my W5 a month ago and filled 3 cards 2, 512 and 1, 1 Gb. Ill
buy a 4th after prices drop, or I go on vacation, in the time being
deleting and resizing are smart options as many photos are to document
events needing mimimal resolution.

David J Taylor

m Ransley wrote:
> I just got my W5 a month ago and filled 3 cards 2, 512 and 1, 1 Gb.
> Ill buy a 4th after prices drop, or I go on vacation, in the time
> being deleting and resizing are smart options as many photos are to
> document events needing mimimal resolution.

Am I missing something here? Most people copy the images off the memory
cards onto their computer, and hence to permanent archive on CD or DVD.
You are doing something like that, are you?

David

Just Plain Bill

On Fri, 2 Dec 2005 18:05:10 -0600, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (m Ransley)
wrote:

>I just got my W5 a month ago and filled 3 cards 2, 512 and 1, 1 Gb. Ill
>buy a 4th after prices drop, or I go on vacation, in the time being
>deleting and resizing are smart options as many photos are to document
>events needing mimimal resolution.

You need to buy a card reader. When you are shooting for the day you
place the filled card in the reader and plug the reader into your
computer. The computer will see the card as a new drive and you can
open it and drag the image files to your hard drive. You should make a
new folder or folders for the image files.

OOPS.... I just noted you are on a web tv machine. Does this mean you
don't have a PC?

JPB

The proof is in the print.