Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Get a new camera or new battery?

Get a new camera or new battery?

tforms1@yahoo.com

My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)

It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)

Now the problem is the battery.
Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.

I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

Should I get a new battery or a new camera?

I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.

Is it a similiar situation here?

Thanks

Paul Rubin

> Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
> I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

If you like the camera, try looking for cheaper batteries on ebay.
Just type the model number into the search form and you should see
tons of them. Make sure to include the shipping charge when you do
price comparisons.

tforms1@yahoo.com

Paul Rubin wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
> > I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.

> If you like the camera, try looking for cheaper batteries on ebay.
> Just type the model number into the search form and you should see
> tons of them. Make sure to include the shipping charge when you do
> price comparisons.

But wont used batteries not last long?

I might end up buying an used battery like the one I have

Paul Rubin

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > If you like the camera, try looking for cheaper batteries on ebay.

> But wont used batteries not last long?

They sell new batteries on ebay. Don't buy used ones.

grumpy@mailinator.com

On 30 Nov 2005 18:47:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
> Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
>
> It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
>
> Now the problem is the battery.
> Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
> Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
>
> I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.
>
> Should I get a new battery or a new camera?
>
> I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
> about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
> I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.
>
> Is it a similiar situation here?

I'd be inclined towards buying a new camera that uses AA batteries. Much cheaper in future to
replace a set of NiMH AA's than some silly proprietary battery that some manufacturers seem to stick
to.

tforms1@yahoo.com

> I'd be inclined towards buying a new camera that uses AA batteries. Much cheaper in future to
> replace a set of NiMH AA's than some silly proprietary battery that some manufacturers seem to stick
> to.

But at the same time, I dont know much about cameras so I dont know how
good the camera I have is.

Is it a good enough camera that I should keep it and pay the extra
money for batteries?

Paul Rubin

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> > Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)

Is this it?
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/spec...ny_dscf55v.asp

> > It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)

It's fine for most purposes.

Anyway, it's a very old camera and you might find a newer one to be
more to your liking. The NP-FS11 battery should be easy to find
though. Looks like there's lots of them in the $10-15 range on ebay
including shipping. Just search for "NP-FS11".

tforms1@yahoo.com

Yes that looks like the camera I have.

"Anyway, it's a very old camera and you might find a newer one to be
more to your liking. "

I like it for most of the things, the only problem is that when I am
filming a video, I cant stop it, it goes for 5/10/15 seconds.
It also seems to come out a bit dark.
Other than that it seems fine, but then again, I dont use it much.

"The NP-FS11 battery should be easy to find though. Looks like there's
lots of them in the $10-15 range on ebay
including shipping. Just search for "NP-FS11". "

Cool. Thanks

Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 05:51:25 +0000, grumpy wrote:

> On 30 Nov 2005 18:47:44 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> My sister got a new camera, so she gave me her old one.
>> Its a Sony cybershot DSC-F55V (from Japan I believe)
>>
>> It is 3.3 megapixels, which is pretty good (I think?)
>>
>> Now the problem is the battery.
>> Fully charge, when I turn the camera on, it says 113minutes.
>> Then after about 15 minutes of use, the battery dies out.
>>
>> I went to Best Buy and they said a new battery is about $50.
>>
>> Should I get a new battery or a new camera?
>>
>> I had a color ink jet printer, and it ran out of ink, it would cost
>> about 50 for new ink, but I got another printer on sale for about $60.
>> I figure a new printer is better than an old one anyway.
>>
>> Is it a similiar situation here?

> I'd be inclined towards buying a new camera that uses AA batteries. Much cheaper in future to
> replace a set of NiMH AA's than some silly proprietary battery that some manufacturers seem to stick
> to.

I bought a brand new Li battery for my sons DSC P1 camera off ebay last
month and it cost 6. If you search the web you could be surprised at the
price.

--
Neil
Linux Counter 335851

Joseph Meehan

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> But at the same time, I dont know much about cameras so I dont know
> how good the camera I have is.
>
> Is it a good enough camera that I should keep it and pay the extra
> money for batteries?

It is a good camera. If you like the results then stick with it. It
will be cheaper to buy the battery than a new camera equal to the one you
have. You should be able to find a battery much cheaper. ebay or B&H Photo
would be good places to start. You also may want to try one of those
Batteries R US type stores. They often have good prices on batteries.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit