Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Li ion batteries, store uncharged?

Li ion batteries, store uncharged?

Bill Tuthill

When storing Lithium Ion batteries for weeks or months between uses,
is it best to leave them fully charged, partially charged, or discharged?

I've heard they like to be kept full.

BatteryUniversity.com says store them (in a cool place) 40% charged
to power the protection circuitry.

A friend of mine always discharges them completely for storage.

John Bean

On 30 Nov 2005 17:51:28 -0800, Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>When storing Lithium Ion batteries for weeks or months between uses,
>is it best to leave them fully charged, partially charged, or discharged?
>
>I've heard they like to be kept full.

"I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

>BatteryUniversity.com says store them (in a cool place) 40% charged
>to power the protection circuitry.

Do you have a good reason to not believe their advice?

>A friend of mine always discharges them completely for storage.

Sigh.

--
John Bean

m Ransley

Sony says uncharged on their Li ion battery

Stephen M. Dunn

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
$When storing Lithium Ion batteries for weeks or months between uses,
$is it best to leave them fully charged, partially charged, or discharged?

The manual for the Li ion battery which came with my 20D rules
out the fully charged option:

"In addition, there is the possibility of damage to the battery pack
and reduced usage time if fully charged batteries are stored for a
period of months."

and (the following is underlined)

"When you plan to store a battery pack aim to use its complete charge
first, before disconnecting it. Store the battery pack in an area
which is free of moisture, and where the temperature is no higher
than 30C (86F)."
--
Stephen M. Dunn <(E-Mail Removed)>

Bill Tuthill

John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I've heard they like to be kept full.

> "I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

If you'd like to think I'm an idiot for asking, go ahead.

My cellphone manual, which is for a Lithium ion battery, says:

Keep your battery fully charged. It is best to recharge
before the battery gets too low, because complete discharges
put an unnecessary strain on the battery.

John Bean

On 1 Dec 2005 10:55:42 -0800, Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>John Bean <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've heard they like to be kept full.

>> "I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

>If you'd like to think I'm an idiot for asking, go ahead.

No Bill, and I apologise if you think I was suggesting you
were an idiot, I was just a bit grumpier than usual this
morning and the phrase "I've heard..." without citing a
reference is one of the warning prefixes that put me into
"expect what follows to be BS" mode.

>My cellphone manual, which is for a Lithium ion battery, says:
>
> Keep your battery fully charged. It is best to recharge
> before the battery gets too low, because complete discharges
> put an unnecessary strain on the battery.

Makes sense, which is precisely why the one source you did
cite suggests you should store them part-charged. Long term
storage at full charge causes premature aging, storing
completely discharged leaves the possibility of the voltage
falling below the minimum threshold of the safety device -
usually rendering the battery permanently unusable.

--
John Bean

Battleax

"John Bean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 1 Dec 2005 10:55:42 -0800, Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:

> >> "I've heard..."? And yet you then say:

> >If you'd like to think I'm an idiot for asking, go ahead.

> No Bill, and I apologise if you think I was suggesting you
> were an idiot, I was just a bit grumpier than usual this
> morning and the phrase "I've heard..." without citing a
> reference is one of the warning prefixes that put me into
> "expect what follows to be BS" mode.
>
> >My cellphone manual, which is for a Lithium ion battery, says:
> >
> > Keep your battery fully charged. It is best to recharge
> > before the battery gets too low, because complete discharges
> > put an unnecessary strain on the battery.

> Makes sense, which is precisely why the one source you did
> cite suggests you should store them part-charged. Long term
> storage at full charge causes premature aging, storing
> completely discharged leaves the possibility of the voltage
> falling below the minimum threshold of the safety device -
> usually rendering the battery permanently unusable.
>
> --
> John Bean

Here's what Sony wants done with their li ion. Store fully charged, use it
up completly, and fully recharge at least once a year.

John Bean

On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:59:43 -0500, "Battleax"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>Here's what Sony wants done with their li ion. Store fully charged, use it
>up completly, and fully recharge at least once a year.

Good way to shorten battery life. Good for Sony battery
sales I guess.

--
John Bean

tnom@mucks.net

On 30 Nov 2005 17:51:28 -0800, Bill Tuthill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>When storing Lithium Ion batteries for weeks or months between uses,
>is it best to leave them fully charged, partially charged, or discharged?
>
>I've heard they like to be kept full.
>
>BatteryUniversity.com says store them (in a cool place) 40% charged
>to power the protection circuitry.
>
>A friend of mine always discharges them completely for storage.

"If possible, store the battery in a cool place at about a 40%
state-of-charge."

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

to store or not to store an image =?Utf-8?B?UnVkeQ==?= ASP .Net 6 03-30-2005 05:51 AM
Taskbar ion for Thunderbird. --- The Boffin --- Firefox 1 07-02-2004 09:33 PM
prolonged charging Li-ion in Laptop Joan Bakker Computer Support 6 04-01-2004 03:59 PM
Quest...ion Mika Suomi Java 2 02-14-2004 07:50 PM
Generic L-ion Battery for Canon AlanRab Digital Photography 3 07-12-2003 06:15 AM

Advertisments