Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Maha C401FS charger?

Maha C401FS charger?

void@no.spam.com

I've got a Quest Q2 charger right now, which is a piece of junk, because when
I put my batteries in there, it will often say they're fully charged after 10
or 20 minutes, when in fact they are far from fully charged. I have to take
the batteries out and then put them back in, let them charge another 10 or 20
minutes before the charger once again incorrectly says that they are fully
charged, and repeat...

Anyways, I want a new charger and I've always seen positive comments about
Maha chargers. I'd like one that has 4 independent charging circuits, so I
guess that means I have to get the C401FS. The one thing that the C401FS
lacks that other Maha chargers have is the conditioning feature. The
description says it doesn't need the conditioning feature because it uses some
"flex negative pulse" charging algorithm.

Well I have 2 sets of batteries that are dead. When I put them into my Quest
charger, it immediately tells me that the batteries are defective. I don't
use my digicam too often, so my batteries quite often sit for several months
without ever being used. I don't know if this inactivity has caused those 2
sets to die. But I've read that the conditioning feature of chargers can
revive some dead batteries, so I'm wondering if I can revive my 2 dead sets.
But the C401FS doesn't have the conditioning, so I wonder if it can still
revive my dead batteries using its "flex negative pulse" algorithm?

Another thing is that Maha recently released the C204W charger, which goes
back to using conditioning instead of the "flex negative pulse". So maybe the
"flex negative pulse" turned out to be worse than conditioning?

Ron Hardin

I have 4 of the things (how do you charge 16 cells at once? get 4)

They're my favorite charger because they're individual charging
and have a low current charge switch.

With any charger get a bottle of _brush-on_ DeoxIT. If it doesn't
start charging without fiddling with the battery, put a tiny drop
of DeoxIT on the battery ends and try again. It makes a huge
difference in reliability. The tiny vial lasts forever. I get mine
here http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=341-215
(The lore is to clean contacts with a clean pencil eraser. It doesn't work.
Use DeoxIT.)

Most modern chargers have a flaw, that they won't detect or charge
a fully-discharged battery. For that I drop it into my ancient
C Crane quick charger for a few seconds, to give it a sufficient
charge so that the modern chargers are willing to charge it.

The C Crane also has a voltmeter, which is extremely handy for telling
what's going on, and what's charged and what isn't.

The CC charger itself charges in parallel, which is a bad idea because
a battery with a dirty contact is not detected.

La Crosse has a charger that is handier than the C401FS in that it has
lots of modes and built-in voltmeter ; you may have to return a couple
to get a working one (they're good about returns though). It has the
same modern flaw that it won't work with a fully discharged battery.
--
Ron Hardin

Miles

Ron Hardin wrote:

> I have 4 of the things (how do you charge 16 cells at once? get 4)
>
> They're my favorite charger because they're individual charging
> and have a low current charge switch.
>
> With any charger get a bottle of _brush-on_ DeoxIT. If it doesn't
> start charging without fiddling with the battery, put a tiny drop
> of DeoxIT on the battery ends and try again. It makes a huge
> difference in reliability. The tiny vial lasts forever. I get mine
> here http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=341-215
> (The lore is to clean contacts with a clean pencil eraser. It doesn't work.
> Use DeoxIT.)
>
> Most modern chargers have a flaw, that they won't detect or charge
> a fully-discharged battery. For that I drop it into my ancient
> C Crane quick charger for a few seconds, to give it a sufficient
> charge so that the modern chargers are willing to charge it.
>
> The C Crane also has a voltmeter, which is extremely handy for telling
> what's going on, and what's charged and what isn't.
>
> The CC charger itself charges in parallel, which is a bad idea because
> a battery with a dirty contact is not detected.
>
> La Crosse has a charger that is handier than the C401FS in that it has
> lots of modes and built-in voltmeter ; you may have to return a couple
> to get a working one (they're good about returns though). It has the
> same modern flaw that it won't work with a fully discharged battery.

Just bought a La Crosse from Thomas Distributing and it should arrive
today or tomorrow. Next Monday am leaving on a 1-month vacation -- the
thing had better work the first time!

Miles

ASAAR

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 08:20:39 GMT, Ron Hardin wrote:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=341-215

> (The lore is to clean contacts with a clean pencil eraser. It doesn't work.
> Use DeoxIT.)

An eraser works well to clean the oxide (almost always found on
the negative base). But I use the slightly abrasive side used for
erasing ink, not the other, gentler side intended for pencils
(graphite). If DeoxIT works well, stick with that. I also have a
spray can of Radio Shack's Contact/Control Cleaner Lubricant and
that would probably also work, but so far (as it's a little messy)
I've just used it to clean up noisy internal electrical controls.