Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > MyPublisher.com - what does this mean?

MyPublisher.com - what does this mean?

kasterborus@yahoo.com

Hi,

I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
understand the last sentence of this section:

"You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
"

What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
waived?
Do they take over ownership?

Dave

Charlie Self

> Hi,
>
> I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
> understand the last sentence of this section:
>
> "You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
> copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
> the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
> all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
> "
>
> What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
> waived?
> Do they take over ownership?
>
> Dave

Sounds like they took over ownership before that. The "moral rights"
clause would have me backpedaling, as it can mean just about anything
their lawyers want it to mean.

Neil Ellwood

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:31:12 -0800, kasterborus wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
> understand the last sentence of this section:
>
> "You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
> copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
> the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
> all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
> "
>
> What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
> waived?
> Do they take over ownership?
>
> Dave

Hard luck you have given them the pictures.
In other businesses it would be called something like fraud or stealing
but in deals like this they call it sharp business acumen.

--
Neil
Linux Counter 335851

kashe@sonic.net

On 28 Nov 2005 07:31:12 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was reading the terms of service on the MyPublisher.com site. I don't
>understand the last sentence of this section:
>
>"You acknowledge and agree that any submission may be published,
>copied, customized, removed, transmitted and shown by MyPublisher for
>the purposes of delivering the Services. In addition, you warrant that
>all moral rights in any uploaded images and materials have been waived.
>"
>
>What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
>waived?
>Do they take over ownership?
>
>Dave

It means you're screwed because you're dealing with someone
who would put such terms in a contract. For further detail, contact a
real lawyer.

Paul Rubin

(E-Mail Removed) writes:
> What does it mean that all moral rights in any uploaded image have been
> waived?
> Do they take over ownership?

It doesn't sound that way, but you have to read through the whole
agreement.

Moral rights are a concept from copyright law in Europe and some other
countries. It's not recognized in the US. It means among other
things that if you publish something, you can change your mind later
and require that publication cease. I think that clause is intended
for non-Americans.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_rights