Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > New Sony R1-samples

Reply
Thread Tools

New Sony R1-samples

 
 
Andreas Buchner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
Hi!

Here are some first samples taken with my new Sony DSC-R1. Enjoy them - if
you like

http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/dsc_r1

Regards,
Andi
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Digital Photography Now
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
Hi Andreas - they look good; sharp and with no sign of purple fringing. No
evident noise either, though if course your samples are small compared to
the original and you only went as high as ISO 200.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
http://dpnow.com


"Andreas Buchner" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsawsndmtl66a$.s2lzg0g0pemt$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi!
>
> Here are some first samples taken with my new Sony DSC-R1. Enjoy them - if
> you like
>
> http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/dsc_r1
>
> Regards,
> Andi



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gary Eickmeier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005


Andreas Buchner wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Here are some first samples taken with my new Sony DSC-R1. Enjoy them - if
> you like
>
> http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/dsc_r1


Come on you guys - if you're going to post samples from a camera,
include at least a couple of full size images.

Gary Eickmeier
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Tuthill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
Andreas Buchner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Here are some first samples taken with my new Sony DSC-R1. Enjoy them - if
> you like
>
> http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/dsc_r1


I did enjoy them, thanks!

The Abendnebel has only partial-histogram green and blue channels,
though the red channel is full. I ran Levels to stretch GB histograms
and thought it improved the image, though it was perhaps too blue.

All outdoor images seemed too red and/or attenuated in the blue channel.
OTOH the image of two cooks against a red background seemed too cool.
Don't know how you downsampled, so I won't comment on sharpness or bokeh,
which doesn't seem very good.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Andreas Buchner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
Am 27 Nov 2005 12:14:24 -0800 schrieb Bill Tuthill:

> The Abendnebel has only partial-histogram green and blue channels,
> though the red channel is full. I ran Levels to stretch GB histograms
> and thought it improved the image, though it was perhaps too blue.


It was already quite dark, few seconds before sunset and I didn't check the
settings carefully

> All outdoor images seemed too red and/or attenuated in the blue channel.
> OTOH the image of two cooks against a red background seemed too cool.


That's normal here this time of day, short before sunset with snowy white
ground.

> Don't know how you downsampled, so I won't comment on sharpness or bokeh,
> which doesn't seem very good.


Used Photoshop to downsample bicubic. Do you have a recommandation how to
improve quality?

Regards,
Andi


 
Reply With Quote
 
irwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2005
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:58:06 +0100, Andreas Buchner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>Here are some first samples taken with my new Sony DSC-R1. Enjoy them - if
>you like
>
>http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/dsc_r1
>
>Regards,
>Andi


Nice pics, why is the EXIF info so limited?
 
Reply With Quote
 
Andreas Buchner
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2005
Am Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:02:31 -0800 schrieb irwell:

> Nice pics, why is the EXIF info so limited?


Hi,

this is a full EXIF from a R1 shot

Make: SONY
Model: DSC-R1
Description:
Date modified: Sonntag, 27. November 2005 14:54:00
Orientation: Top / left side
X-Resolution: 72/1
Y-Resolution: 72/1
Resolution unit: Inch
White point: 313/1000
Primary chromatic: 64/100
YCbCr coefficient: 299/1000
YCbCr-Positioning: 2
Date taken: Sonntag, 27. November 2005 14:54:00
Date digitized: Sonntag, 27. November 2005 14:54:00
Exposure time [s]: 1/320
Exposure program: Aperture priority
Exposure mode: Auto
Exposure bias [EV]: 0,0
F-Number: F5,0
Focal length [mm]: 14,3
ISO value: 160
Max. aperture: F2,8
Flash: Not fired, compulsory flash mode, return light not detected
Metering mode: Multi-segment
Light source: other
White balance: Manual
Contrast: Soft
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Colour space: Uncalibrated
File source: DSC
Custom rendered: Normal
Scene type:
Subject program: Standard
Image width: 3888
Image height: 2592
Components configuration: YCbCr
Average compression ratio: 8/1
EXIF version: 0221
FlashPix version: 0100
Makernote: 53 4F 4E 59 20 44 53 43 20 00 00 00 19 00 00 20 07 00 01 00 00
00 01 00 00 00 20 B0 02 00 05 00 00 00 D6 04 00 00 40 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 41 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 42 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 02
00 00 00 43 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 44 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 01 00
00 00 45 B0 ...
Compression: 6
X-Resolution: 72/1
Y-Resolution: 72/1
Resolution unit: Centimeter
JPEG offset: 2922
JPEG size: 11330
Index: R03
Version: 0100

Regards,
Andi
 
Reply With Quote
 
irwell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2005
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:15:17 +0100, Andreas Buchner
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Am Sun, 27 Nov 2005 16:02:31 -0800 schrieb irwell:
>
>> Nice pics, why is the EXIF info so limited?

>
>Hi,
>
>this is a full EXIF from a R1 shot


Thanks Andy, wonder what all that maker notes means, looks
like a bunch of hexadecimal code.
>
> Make: SONY
> Model: DSC-R1
>
>
> Makernote: 53 4F 4E 59 20 44 53 43 20 00 00 00 19 00 00 20 07 00 01 00 00
>00 01 00 00 00 20 B0 02 00 05 00 00 00 D6 04 00 00 40 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00
>00 00 00 00 41 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 07 00 00 00 42 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 02
>00 00 00 43 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 44 B0 03 00 01 00 00 00 01 00
>00 00 45 B0 ...


 
Reply With Quote
 
Bill Tuthill
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-28-2005
Andreas Buchner <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Don't know how you downsampled, so I won't comment on sharpness...

>
> Used Photoshop to downsample bicubic. Do you have a recommandation
> how to improve quality?


As Bart van der Wolf has shown, the Lanczos filter (as in ImageMagick)
downsamples much better than Photoshop bicubic sharper. The bicubic
algorithm is perhaps more versatile than Lancsos, especially when changing
the ratio of x/y dimensions (aspect ratio). Here is the ImageMagic command
I use for 20% downsampling:

convert -filter Lanczos -scale 25% -unsharp 1x3+1+.09 in.bmp out.jpg

That results in quality 75 JPEG, which could be increased with the -quality
option. If you increase quality > 85, -sampling_factor 1x1 is recommended
for 4:4:4 chroma subsampling. Here is Bart's website:

http://www.xs4all.nl/~bvdwolf/main/f...e/example1.htm
 
Reply With Quote
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-29-2005
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:32:21 GMT, Gary Eickmeier
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>
>
>Andreas Buchner wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Here are some first samples taken with my new Sony DSC-R1. Enjoy them - if
>> you like
>>
>> http://www.pbase.com/anbuccos/dsc_r1

>
>Come on you guys - if you're going to post samples from a camera,
>include at least a couple of full size images.
>
>Gary Eickmeier


And some at higher ISOs.
-Rich
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hey, Free Sony PSP. Best thing since sliced bread! It's So easy,and 100% legal! GET A FREE SONY PSP! !!NO CATCH!! Sarah Stewart Computer Support 0 05-08-2005 08:47 AM
Canon S400 vs Sony P10 vs Sony P92 vs Oly C50 Monica Krowley Digital Photography 0 09-06-2003 08:12 AM
SONY F-717 verses SONY CD 505 Matt Digital Photography 3 08-18-2003 12:17 PM
looking for opinions on QUALITY OF PICTURES for Sony S85 vs Sony F717 if any ... alex Digital Photography 2 08-01-2003 10:30 PM
Sony TRV230 vs. Sony TRV245 (UK Models) J.B. Digital Photography 3 07-17-2003 01:03 AM



Advertisments