Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji and the horror of complex lens variation

Reply
Thread Tools

Fuji and the horror of complex lens variation

 
 
Rich
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
This thread was (or should be) terrifying for anyone buying
a camera/lens where the price is "artificially low." The 10x+ zooms
on these cameras have great complexity. They are asked to zoom to 10x
their lowest focal length, act as macro lenses, etc. All in a camera
that costs around $700.00. The differences this guy found would be a
"deal breaker" for anyone considering the camera who was looking for
good performance. The question is, is this a fluke (bad product) or
is this the range of variation one can expect with that model's lens??
-Rich

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16010533
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be the Leica
lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But even
there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad example may slip
through.

If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the camera
back to the shop where you bought it.

The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range lens with
no image stabilisation - not a combination I would purchase today.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Fred Williams
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:

> The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be
> the Leica
> lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But
> even there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad
> example may slip through.
>
> If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the
> camera back to the shop where you bought it.
>
> The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
> lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
> purchase today.
>


I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There seems
to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need to
do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.
Talk to many people, face to face where possible, and consider the
source for your information. There is a lot of competition in
this industry and some company's are not above organizing "trash
talk campaigns" to discredit their competitors.


--
Regards,
Fred.
(Please remove FFFf from my email address to reply, if by email)
 
Reply With Quote
 
dj_nme@hotmail.com
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
Fred Williams wrote:

> On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:
> <snip>
> > The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
> > lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
> > purchase today.

>
> I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There seems
> to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need to
> do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.


I'm not convinced about a specific "anti Fuji" bias, just a desire to
talk up the latest tech and disparage anything that isn't "leading
edge" technology.
I had owned a Minolta DiMage 7i for 3 years (until the Sony 5mp sensor
died and it was replaced free with an A200 by Konica Minolta) and it
was perhaps one of the best digicams that I've owned.
No stabilisation and (only!) 5mp, but because of the lack of moving
parts (no mirror slap or big shutter to impart shake) I was able to
hand-hold to half (or less) the shutter speed suggested by the old
1/(focal length) rule of thumb and still get nice sharp pictures.

Assuming that the lens on your digicam has good contrast and sharpness,
then it is realy up to "the nut behind the lens" to do their job

 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
Fred Williams wrote:
> On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be
>> the Leica
>> lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But
>> even there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad
>> example may slip through.
>>
>> If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the
>> camera back to the shop where you bought it.
>>
>> The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
>> lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
>> purchase today.
>>

>
> I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There
> seems to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need
> to
> do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.
> Talk to many people, face to face where possible, and consider the
> source for your information. There is a lot of competition in
> this industry and some company's are not above organizing "trash
> talk campaigns" to discredit their competitors.


Fred,

I am sure you are not suggesting that I am in any way part of such a
campaign.

I would love the lower noise of certain Fuji sensors (if they have made a
genuine advance there), but I stick by my views that:

- anything mass-produced may have the occasional bad item, which should be
replaced immediately by the supplier

- a long zoom without image stabilisation is not something I would buy or
recommend to others.

I'm pleased that your new purchase is doing what /you/ need.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Tesco News
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
"David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid> wrote in
message news:Kriif.16511$(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> Fred Williams wrote:
> > On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:
> >
> >> The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be
> >> the Leica
> >> lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But
> >> even there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad
> >> example may slip through.
> >>
> >> If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the
> >> camera back to the shop where you bought it.
> >>
> >> The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
> >> lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
> >> purchase today.
> >>

> >
> > I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There
> > seems to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need
> > to
> > do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.
> > Talk to many people, face to face where possible, and consider the
> > source for your information. There is a lot of competition in
> > this industry and some company's are not above organizing "trash
> > talk campaigns" to discredit their competitors.

>
> Fred,
>
> I am sure you are not suggesting that I am in any way part of such a
> campaign.
>
> I would love the lower noise of certain Fuji sensors (if they have made a
> genuine advance there), but I stick by my views that:
>
> - anything mass-produced may have the occasional bad item, which should be
> replaced immediately by the supplier
>
> - a long zoom without image stabilisation is not something I would buy or
> recommend to others.
>
> I'm pleased that your new purchase is doing what /you/ need.
>
> David
>
>


Hi all.

My wife has had a Fuji S5500, with the 10x Zoom, for a year now.

She is no "Expert" photographer, but when saving and tweaking her Pics, I
can see no signs of "Shake" or any major lens faults.

I have printed a number of her pics at 10 x 8, and there is nothing wrong
with the quality.

I suspect there seems to be certain amount of bias, on this group, not so
much against Fuji, but in favour of the Leica badged lenses of another
maker. A real Leica lens on a camera costing less than $2000, come on, who
is kidding who.

Roy G


 
Reply With Quote
 
WannabeSomeone
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005

"Fred Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f_hif.130174$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be
>> the Leica
>> lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But
>> even there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad
>> example may slip through.
>>
>> If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the
>> camera back to the shop where you bought it.
>>
>> The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
>> lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
>> purchase today.
>>

>
> I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There seems
> to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need to
> do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.
> Talk to many people, face to face where possible, and consider the
> source for your information. There is a lot of competition in
> this industry and some company's are not above organizing "trash
> talk campaigns" to discredit their competitors.
>
>


I agree with you. The blurry pictures seemed to be plainly out of focus or
shaky. The article is biased. Even a cheap digicam cannot take a photo that
bad. It is not the lens's fault if the camera holder uses a long zoom and
cannot hold the camera still.


Wannabe
=======

 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
[]
> No stabilisation and (only!) 5mp, but because of the lack of moving
> parts (no mirror slap or big shutter to impart shake) I was able to
> hand-hold to half (or less) the shutter speed suggested by the old
> 1/(focal length) rule of thumb and still get nice sharp pictures.


Yes, the lack of mirror-slap helps a lot, but with image-stabilisation you
can to ten times better that 1/(focal-length), and that's a gain well
worth having, in my experience.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
David J Taylor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005
Tesco News wrote:
[]
> I suspect there seems to be certain amount of bias, on this group,
> not so much against Fuji, but in favour of the Leica badged lenses of
> another maker. A real Leica lens on a camera costing less than
> $2000, come on, who is kidding who.
>
> Roy G


It's simple. If you compare the images produced, the Leica lens wins.

David


 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-27-2005

"Fred Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f_hif.130174$(E-Mail Removed)...
> On $DATE , David J Taylor wrote:
>
>> The best quality long zoom range lenses right now appear to be
>> the Leica
>> lenses supplied with the Panasonic FZ5/FZ20 series cameras. But
>> even there, as with any bulk-manufactured product, an odd bad
>> example may slip through.
>>
>> If someone is unhappy with the results they are getting, take the
>> camera back to the shop where you bought it.
>>
>> The Fuji model you mention offers, I believe, a long zoom range
>> lens with no image stabilisation - not a combination I would
>> purchase today.
>>

>
> I just bought a Fuji S9000 and I'm delighted with it. There seems
> to be an "anti-fuji" element on this newsgroup and people need to
> do their own research to determine which camera is best for them.

No, it is more likely that Fuji owners are thin skinned. I for one own
Nikon gear. They make some great lenses, some very good ones, and a few
that are best ignored.
Jim


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The true horror of the Fuji orb problem RichA Digital Photography 6 02-25-2012 05:44 PM
Lens sample variation article. Different (i.e., "Chinese")contractors = different results RichA Digital Photography 3 11-29-2011 12:29 AM
Write a program to play a "Dots and Boxes" game variation fred@dinsights.com C Programming 0 03-02-2006 06:26 PM
House Of The Dead: The (Not) Horror, The (Not) Horror... Peter Briggs DVD Video 15 02-22-2004 11:13 PM



Advertisments