Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > How to get a night shot like this?

How to get a night shot like this?

Brett

The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
seconds.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can any one
tell if something else was done to get that type of shot?

Also, how are these night shots coming out so crisp? Is this film or
digital?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/

Thanks,
Brett

Jim Townsend

Brett wrote:

> The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
> seconds.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can any one
> tell if something else was done to get that type of shot?

Looks like a regular time exposure.. You can see the clouds have
streaked because of the movement.

> Also, how are these night shots coming out so crisp? Is this film or
> digital?
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/

Why shouldn't they come out crisp ? Film gives you a bit more latitude
because it's not prone to noise.. But The new digital cameras can take
exposures of well over 1/2 hour with no problem..

Here's a shot I took last September with my 10d. It's a 27 minute exposure
and shows the trails the stars leave as the world turns...

http://www.pbase.com/jim_townsend/image/51018310

Brett

"Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Brett wrote:
>
>> The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
>> seconds.
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can any
>> one
>> tell if something else was done to get that type of shot?

> Looks like a regular time exposure.. You can see the clouds have
> streaked because of the movement.
>
>> Also, how are these night shots coming out so crisp? Is this film or
>> digital?
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/

> Why shouldn't they come out crisp ? Film gives you a bit more latitude
> because it's not prone to noise.. But The new digital cameras can take
> exposures of well over 1/2 hour with no problem..

I don't know that he is using film.

> Here's a shot I took last September with my 10d. It's a 27 minute
> exposure
> and shows the trails the stars leave as the world turns...
>
> http://www.pbase.com/jim_townsend/image/51018310

I did look at some of your photos and don't see the same crispness there.
Why is that?

Thanks,
Brett

jean

"Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Brett wrote:
> >
> >> The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
> >> seconds.
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can any
> >> one
> >> tell if something else was done to get that type of shot?

> > Looks like a regular time exposure.. You can see the clouds have
> > streaked because of the movement.
> >
> >> Also, how are these night shots coming out so crisp? Is this film or
> >> digital?
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/

> > Why shouldn't they come out crisp ? Film gives you a bit more latitude
> > because it's not prone to noise.. But The new digital cameras can take
> > exposures of well over 1/2 hour with no problem..

> I don't know that he is using film.
>

> > Here's a shot I took last September with my 10d. It's a 27 minute
> > exposure
> > and shows the trails the stars leave as the world turns...
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/jim_townsend/image/51018310
> >

> I did look at some of your photos and don't see the same crispness there.
> Why is that?

A building will not move at all but a tree will sway in the wind making it
"blurr" itself on the "film"

Jean

Steve Cutchen

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Jim Townsend
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Brett wrote:
>
> > The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
> > seconds.
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can any one
> > tell if something else was done to get that type of shot?

> Looks like a regular time exposure.. You can see the clouds have
> streaked because of the movement.
>
> > Also, how are these night shots coming out so crisp? Is this film or
> > digital?
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/

> Why shouldn't they come out crisp ? Film gives you a bit more latitude
> because it's not prone to noise.. But The new digital cameras can take
> exposures of well over 1/2 hour with no problem..
>
> Here's a shot I took last September with my 10d. It's a 27 minute exposure
> and shows the trails the stars leave as the world turns...
>
> http://www.pbase.com/jim_townsend/image/51018310

Did the camera set the total time or did you? 27 minutes seems an odd
time in this base-10 society. I would have expected 25 or 30. Why 27?

Paul Heslop

Brett wrote:

> "Jim Townsend" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Brett wrote:
> >
> >> The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
> >> seconds.
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can any
> >> one
> >> tell if something else was done to get that type of shot?

> > Looks like a regular time exposure.. You can see the clouds have
> > streaked because of the movement.
> >
> >> Also, how are these night shots coming out so crisp? Is this film or
> >> digital?
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/
> >> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/

> > Why shouldn't they come out crisp ? Film gives you a bit more latitude
> > because it's not prone to noise.. But The new digital cameras can take
> > exposures of well over 1/2 hour with no problem..

> I don't know that he is using film.
>

> > Here's a shot I took last September with my 10d. It's a 27 minute
> > exposure
> > and shows the trails the stars leave as the world turns...
> >
> > http://www.pbase.com/jim_townsend/image/51018310
> >

> I did look at some of your photos and don't see the same crispness there.
> Why is that?
>
> Thanks,
> Brett

He may have tampered with the image? sharpened it a little?
--
Paul (Dear Sir, I have a complaint)
Stop and Look

Mark²

Brett wrote:
> The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
> seconds.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can

Windy night...long exposure.

chrlz@go.com

Sorry to disagree, but when I looked at the 'fullsize' originals (which
are still quite small), they are actually rather unsharp. The smaller
ones are slightly oversharpened. But any decent camera with a
reasonable time-exposure feature (say 30 seconds or more) could take a
similar shot. I have plenty of similar shots, mainly taken around
industrial areas on cloudy nights, or at late dusk to get a bit of
light in the sky. Many are on 35mm film taken on old slr's, but some
have been taken with 'prosumers', eg the Sony 717, 828 and more
recently an Olympus C8080. Sadly I don't have any posted right now,
but if you are totally desperate I could probably dig a couple out and
post them.

All you need for these shots is a tripod, a bit of patience, a suitable
scene, and a bit of experimenting to get a feel for exposure times. An
eye for good composition will help..

Jim's shot looks like it probably *is* sharp, but has suffered a bit
from over-compression. Nice work, Jim - I have a very similar shot
with the tree foliage brightly lit by a campfire, at which I was
getting drunk on a good port, at the time... (O:

m Ransley

Yesterday I used my old Cokin Pola red- blue#171 and red-green#170 and
got those colors on a lake handheld, it was probably 171 but am not
sure. Id say he possibly used a filter but long exposures at dusk will
do that. The shot is not that sharp to me, easy to do with a tripod and
time exposure, the real feature is the time needed to move the clouds.
Experiment with what you have even with much less than 400 seconds say
30 you can do amazing things. Ive used an A1 for years shooting long
night exposures. My first digital a sony w5 with only 30 sec timed can
do shots like that, but there alot of time was needed for the clouds to
move.

Lukas Kovacic

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:57:17 -0800, "Brett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The photographer of this photo says the exposure was left open for 400
>seconds.
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/notrace...in/set-270103/. Can any one
>tell if something else was done to get that type of shot?

First of all, I think that the photographer used a tripod.