Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Olympus C3000 Zoom with Windows XP ?

Olympus C3000 Zoom with Windows XP ?

Martin

I have an Olympus C-3000 Zoom camera that I've been using (with
Camedia Master 2.0) for the last 4-5 years on a computer running
Windows 2K. A few days ago, I got a new computer with Windows XP and I
can't get things set up so that pictures can be uploaded to the
computer.

I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive? (All I want to do is
upload pictures - I use a couple of other programs for editing).

I've Googled around but I can't find a driver specifically for the
C-3000 with XP (it's connected via a USB cable). But I did download
and install the one for Win2K. According to the Windows Device
Manager, it is functioning OK but I can't see the camera as a disc
drive and Camedia Master tells me that there's no camera attached.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this thing working?

Thanks.

Keith Sheppard

>>I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
>>ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive?

It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
drive for Windows to pick it up.

You are welcome to try my application
(http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sh...toman/home.htm) which has the
ability to connect directly to Olympus cameras. Unfortunately I suspect
that if Camedia is reporting "no camera" then mine will too because I use
Olympus drivers to access the camera.

Regards

Keith

Martin

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:00:37 GMT, "Keith Sheppard"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>>I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
>>>ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive?

>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
>drive for Windows to pick it up.

OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
such a thing?

In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
new/different driver?

Thanks for any further suggestions on this.

>You are welcome to try my application
>(http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sh...toman/home.htm) which has the
>ability to connect directly to Olympus cameras. Unfortunately I suspect
>that if Camedia is reporting "no camera" then mine will too because I use
>Olympus drivers to access the camera.
>
>Regards
>
>Keith

Keith Sheppard

>>>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
>>>drive for Windows to pick it up.

>OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
>a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
>such a thing?

I don't have any technical information on the C3000 but I would expect a
camera either would present itself as a USB drive or it won't - probably
depending upon how modern it is. If it doesn't, I don't think you can make
it do so.

My C2100 certainly is not accessible as an external drive and I doubt that
any driver update would make it otherwise. The camera simply predates the
technology and I would guess that yours does too.

>In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
>the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
>new/different driver?

It might be worth asking Olympus for a more recent version of Camedia. I
had problems with the version supplied with my camera and Oly sent me an
upgrade free of charge. The one they sent was version 2.5 but that was a
while back now. There are probably newer versions than that. I am running
Camedia 2.5 on Windows XP Professional (Service Pack 2) and that works OK.

It might be interesting also to try my PhotoMan application because that
uses a more recent version of the Oly interface code than Camedia 2.0.

Keith

Paul Allen

Martin wrote:

>>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
>>drive for Windows to pick it up.

> OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
> a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
> such a thing?

You can't get a camera to behave like a disk drive if its firmware
doesn't already know how to do that. But, the Oly Camedia cameras
seem to mostly (all?) know how to look like disks, suggesting a fault
somewhere.

> In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
> the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
> new/different driver?

That would be somewhat surprising, but have you looked on Olympus'
web site for an updated version of the Camedia software?

> Thanks for any further suggestions on this.

Just get a card reader. They're cheap and all modern operating systems
know what to do with them out of the box.

Paul Allen

Bill Funk

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 09:09:44 -0700, Martin <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
>>drive for Windows to pick it up.

>OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
>a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
>such a thing?
>
>In any case, it seems to me that Camedia should be able to connect to
>the camera (it had no problem in Win2K). Here again, do I need a
>new/different driver?
>
>Thanks for any further suggestions on this.

The C3000 is not able to present itself as a drive; the way this
camera was designed to use the USB connection is through the Camedia
software. Period. There may be workarounds, but...
The best way around this is to use a card reader; this will be much
easier and faster and give you much more control over what happens to
the image files.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

Bill Funk

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 08:57:13 -0800, Paul Allen <"paul dot l dot allen
at comcast dot net"> wrote:

>Martin wrote:

>>>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
>>>drive for Windows to pick it up.

>> OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
>> a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
>> such a thing?

>You can't get a camera to behave like a disk drive if its firmware
>doesn't already know how to do that. But, the Oly Camedia cameras
>seem to mostly (all?) know how to look like disks, suggesting a fault
>somewhere.

The C4xxx series do, but I don't think the C3xxx series does. AIUI.

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"
funktionality.blogspot.com

Jack Mac

wrote:

>>>I thought that I wouldn't even need Camedia. Doesn't WinXP have the
>>>ability to see a digital camera as a disc drive?

>It depends upon the camera. The camera needs to present itself as a USB
>drive for Windows to pick it up.
>
>You are welcome to try my application
>(http://homepages.tesco.net/~Keith.Sh...toman/home.htm) which has the
>ability to connect directly to Olympus cameras. Unfortunately I suspect
>that if Camedia is reporting "no camera" then mine will too because I use
>Olympus drivers to access the camera.
>
>Regards
>
>Keith

Sounds like you need one of the inexpensive USB Card Readers.
That way you don't have to plug your camera into the computer at all.
Simply remove the memory card from the camera and plug it into
the Card Reader (Fry's have some for $3.99!)
I still have an old Olympus C-2100UZ that's never been plugged into
a computer.

Jack Mac

Martin

Thanks for all of the responses.

Guess I'll un-install Camedia and the driver and go shopping for a
card reader.

Jack Mac

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 16:40:31 GMT, "Keith Sheppard" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>OK - any idea as to how I get this particular camera to do this? Is it
>>a matter of getting the proper USB driver? If so, where might I find
>>such a thing?

>I don't have any technical information on the C3000 but I would expect a
>camera either would present itself as a USB drive or it won't - probably
>depending upon how modern it is. If it doesn't, I don't think you can make
>it do so.
>
>My C2100 certainly is not accessible as an external drive and I doubt that
>any driver update would make it otherwise. The camera simply predates the
>technology and I would guess that yours does too.

Keith,
I don't know about your C2100 but the one I have certainly is accessible
as an external drive with the supplied USB cable. I've always used
a Card Reader but I still have the USB cable and it's use is covered
on page 182 of the user's manual. It IS provided with a cable for use
with a serial port!

Jack Mac