Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > What is the f/16 rule ?

What is the f/16 rule ?

Confused

Matt Ion <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Well, I googled "why is http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) <SNIP>" and didn't get
> any sort of satisfactory response. Maybe someone here can answer it.

He's in most folks killfile. I haven't
noticed it/him/her around in a while.

Jeff

Matt Ion

Frank ess wrote:
> Matt Ion wrote:
>
>> Mike Forrest wrote:
>>
>>> For quick shoot such as kids etc this is much faster and more
>>> accurate than the light meter.

>> It's also handy if you have an old inherited camera without built-in
>> metering and can't afford a light meter... like the several years I
>> shot with an old 1953-vintage Argus C-3 "brick" camera
>>

> Argus C3 picture from 1956:
> http://www.fototime.com/3A548A515C8B19C/orig.jpg

It's a wonderful old camera. Argus was well-known for the optical
quality of their "Cimtar-coated" lenses back then.

I had to adjust the rangefinder myself... built a funky custom adapter
to connect the big two-pin flash plugs on the camera to an X-sync socket
and track down a flash bracket... and after a couple rolls of blank
flash shots, adjust the flash trigger contacts on the shutter mechanism
to sync properly for an electronic flash (they were designed for an
old-type flashbulb that needed to trigger a few milliseconds early to
reach full brightness by the time the leaf shutter opened

This shot was taken with that setup...
http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1214973

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0547-2, 11/23/2005
Tested on: 11/23/2005 8:40:57 PM

Frank ess

Matt Ion wrote:
> Frank ess wrote:
>> Matt Ion wrote:

>>> It's also handy if you have an old inherited camera without
>>> built-in
>>> metering and can't afford a light meter... like the several years
>>> shot with an old 1953-vintage Argus C-3 "brick" camera
>>>

>> Argus C3 picture from 1956:
>> http://www.fototime.com/3A548A515C8B19C/orig.jpg

> It's a wonderful old camera. Argus was well-known for the optical
> quality of their "Cimtar-coated" lenses back then.
>
> I had to adjust the rangefinder myself... built a funky custom
> adapter
> to connect the big two-pin flash plugs on the camera to an X-sync
> socket and track down a flash bracket... and after a couple rolls of
> blank flash shots, adjust the flash trigger contacts on the shutter
> mechanism to sync properly for an electronic flash (they were
> designed for an old-type flashbulb that needed to trigger a few
> milliseconds early to reach full brightness by the time the leaf
> shutter opened
> This shot was taken with that setup...
> http://www.photosig.com/go/photos/view?id=1214973

Cool.

I took fewer pictures than I'd have liked, with that camera. A young
Airman got $85.80 a month in those days. I actually left it in a hock
shop in North Little Rock when I moved to Barksdale. Not before
shooting a roll at the Sebring 12-hour in 1958, however.

http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/pictures/LupMns02.jpg
http://home.san.rr.com/fsheff/pictures/moswal05.jpg
http://www.fototime.com/D6BCDFF67B54C99/orig.jpg

--
Frank ess

AustinMN

Lorem Ipsum wrote:
> "AustinMN" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
> > I found the answer. He's a Jerk:
> > http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/warriorshtm/jerk.htm

> Austin Minnesota? Ain't that the SPAM center of the universe?

That it is. Don't confuse SPAM (aka Stuff Posing As Meat) with spam
(mass emailing/posting of comercial messages).

I don't live in or particularly near Austin, MN though. I used to go
by AustinBoston, but when I moved from the Boston area to Minnesota,
AustinMN was the best I could come up with.

Austin

Stacey

RON wrote:

> I do not know the answer so to me this is not a dumb question.
> Thanks for your time

Depends on who you ask. My "F16 rule" it to never use F16 or smaller unless
you have a good reason to!
--

Stacey

AustinMN

Jasen wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

<snip>

> > I early await your demonstration of this claim.

> I eagerly await you learning to spell.

Grammarian:
http://redwing.hutman.net/~mreed/war...grammarian.htm

Paul H.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> RON wrote:
>
> > I do not know the answer so to me this is not a dumb question.

> Your answer can be found at www.just****inggoogleit.com

I just tried the website and was directed to "post a f*cking message on
usenet, you f*cking leech." Harsh world.

JM

how does it feel to be a dick? i *have* a dick, but i've never been one.
you, on the other hand, are such a blatantly obvious, confirmed,
died-in-the-wool dick that you surely must be able to shed some light on the
issue for me.

get the **** off of usenet, prick bastard.

jm