Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Elements

Elements

Dave

Does anyone know if and how to back up the Elements photo album to a DVD+RW
and the overwrite it next time you do a back up

Joseph Meehan

Dave wrote:
> Does anyone know if and how to back up the Elements photo album to a
> DVD+RW and the overwrite it next time you do a back up

I believe you need to manually delete the old file and maybe reformat
before saving the new one.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Arthur Small

Select the file containing the photos to burn on the DVD. Next time erase
the DVD RW and repeat the process.

www.alldigital.fotopic.net

ASAAR

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:53:43 -0000, Dave wrote:

> Does anyone know if and how to back up the Elements photo album to a
> DVD+RW and the overwrite it next time you do a back up

I only do similar backups to CD R/W disks, but I imagine that DVD
acts similarly. Unless the disk is reformatted, if you simply
delete the old backup before adding a new backup set to the disk,
nothing is really deleted. The old backup occupies space on the
disk but the new directory information makes it seem as if it's not
there. If I was making a backup of the Elements software to a
folder named "Elements", I'd simply rename the folder to
"Elements_1" and make the latest backup to a new "Elements" folder.
After another backup, the disk would contain an "Elements_1",
"Elements_2" and an "Elements" folder. This is just as quick, and
although you may never use the older backups, they'd easily
accessible if you ever had a need for them. BTW, you didn't make it
clear whether you're backup was for the Elements software, or an
installed copy on the hard drive containing all of your photos. If
it's mainly the photos you want to preserve, good backup software
can do it much more efficiently, using full backups followed by
incremental or differential backups. This probably wouldn't be
worth the effort unless your photos occupy a lot of disk space.

Dave

Sorry, I have Version 4 of elements and the part I was backing up was the
organisor files. Everytime I go into the organisor (album) it reminds me to
save. It appears to finalise the disc, when I back up using a DVD+RW because
when I next go to back up it wont except the disc because its been
finalised. I would imaging I need to stop it doing that somehow. I could
back up my photo's in the folders I suppose but then if ever I had to reload
them all I would have to sort them all over again. Maybe the solution is to
use something other than Elements to organise my photo's.

Any help would be appreciated. I have about 6000 photo's in the folders.

Dave

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Dave wrote:
> Sorry, I have Version 4 of elements and the part I was backing up was
> the organisor files. Everytime I go into the organisor (album) it
> reminds me to save. It appears to finalise the disc, when I back up
> using a DVD+RW because when I next go to back up it wont except the
> disc because its been finalised. I would imaging I need to stop it
> doing that somehow. I could back up my photo's in the folders I
> suppose but then if ever I had to reload them all I would have to
> sort them all over again. Maybe the solution is to use something
> other than Elements to organise my photo's.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I have about 6000 photo's in the
> folders.

I really have to worry about the sanity of anyone who keeps 6,000 photos
and is not a professional.

I suggest you add a second hard drive and back up to that. I kept my
old computer and it set up a LAN and that works to provide a target for all
my backups.

> Dave
>
> ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:53:43 -0000, Dave wrote:
>>
>> > Does anyone know if and how to back up the Elements photo album to
>> > a DVD+RW and the overwrite it next time you do a back up

>> I only do similar backups to CD R/W disks, but I imagine that DVD
>> acts similarly. Unless the disk is reformatted, if you simply
>> delete the old backup before adding a new backup set to the disk,
>> nothing is really deleted. The old backup occupies space on the
>> disk but the new directory information makes it seem as if it's not
>> there. If I was making a backup of the Elements software to a
>> folder named "Elements", I'd simply rename the folder to
>> "Elements_1" and make the latest backup to a new "Elements" folder.
>> After another backup, the disk would contain an "Elements_1",
>> "Elements_2" and an "Elements" folder. This is just as quick, and
>> although you may never use the older backups, they'd easily
>> accessible if you ever had a need for them. BTW, you didn't make it
>> clear whether you're backup was for the Elements software, or an
>> installed copy on the hard drive containing all of your photos. If
>> it's mainly the photos you want to preserve, good backup software
>> can do it much more efficiently, using full backups followed by
>> incremental or differential backups. This probably wouldn't be
>> worth the effort unless your photos occupy a lot of disk space.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Dave

I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back them
up.
Why do you worry about people who have so many photos, 6000 is not a lot
really
I copied all my parents slides and my wifes parents slides and would not
like to lose them.
The photos I have go back 50 odd years so I dont see anything to worry about
really, except losing them

but worry if you must

"Joseph Meehan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:q2_gf.137270$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Dave wrote:
> > Sorry, I have Version 4 of elements and the part I was backing up was
> > the organisor files. Everytime I go into the organisor (album) it
> > reminds me to save. It appears to finalise the disc, when I back up
> > using a DVD+RW because when I next go to back up it wont except the
> > disc because its been finalised. I would imaging I need to stop it
> > doing that somehow. I could back up my photo's in the folders I
> > suppose but then if ever I had to reload them all I would have to
> > sort them all over again. Maybe the solution is to use something
> > other than Elements to organise my photo's.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. I have about 6000 photo's in the
> > folders.

> I really have to worry about the sanity of anyone who keeps 6,000

photos
> and is not a professional.
>
> I suggest you add a second hard drive and back up to that. I kept my
> old computer and it set up a LAN and that works to provide a target for

all
> my backups.
>

> > Dave
> >
> > ASAAR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> >> I only do similar backups to CD R/W disks, but I imagine that DVD
> >> acts similarly. Unless the disk is reformatted, if you simply
> >> delete the old backup before adding a new backup set to the disk,
> >> nothing is really deleted. The old backup occupies space on the
> >> disk but the new directory information makes it seem as if it's not
> >> there. If I was making a backup of the Elements software to a
> >> folder named "Elements", I'd simply rename the folder to
> >> "Elements_1" and make the latest backup to a new "Elements" folder.
> >> After another backup, the disk would contain an "Elements_1",
> >> "Elements_2" and an "Elements" folder. This is just as quick, and
> >> although you may never use the older backups, they'd easily
> >> accessible if you ever had a need for them. BTW, you didn't make it
> >> clear whether you're backup was for the Elements software, or an
> >> installed copy on the hard drive containing all of your photos. If
> >> it's mainly the photos you want to preserve, good backup software
> >> can do it much more efficiently, using full backups followed by
> >> incremental or differential backups. This probably wouldn't be
> >> worth the effort unless your photos occupy a lot of disk space.

> --
> Joseph Meehan
>
> Dia duit

Bill Funk

On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:51:47 -0000, "Dave"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back them
>up.

Hold that thought...
>Why do you worry about people who have so many photos, 6000 is not a lot
>really
>I copied all my parents slides and my wifes parents slides and would not
>like to lose them.
>The photos I have go back 50 odd years so I dont see anything to worry about
>really, except losing them

Well, that's the worry, isn't it?

--
Bill Funk
Replace "g" with "a"

clw

In article <43848dce$(E-Mail Removed)>,
"Dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back them
> up.
> I copied all my parents slides and my wifes parents slides and would not
> like to lose them.
> The photos I have go back 50 odd years so I dont see anything to worry about
> really, except losing them

first, the originals of the slides and photos you scanned are one
back-up. But, there is also the work involved in the scannning that one
does not want to repeat.

Second, keep the photos on both your external and computer HD's. That
way you have them in two places.

Three, if you have the photos organized you can burn DVD's of the
different files (albums) you are keeping them in and have a fourth
back-up.
--
Panta rei

Joseph Meehan

Dave wrote:
>I do have a second drive where I keep all my photos but I need to back
> them up.

Then back them up to the first drive. You are very unlikely to loose
both drives at the same time.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit