Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > tripod for 20D

tripod for 20D

Terry

I have a Canon 20D with the 17-85 kit lens and plan on getting the new
70-300 IS soon. I also have the 420EX flash. I need to upgrade my tripod
and want to hold the price to $300. My interest so far is chiefly in either
the Slik PRO 813 CF or PRO 814 CF with the AF-2100 pistol grip head. I see
models from Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc. in the same price range. What's the best
value? I have used a friends pistol grip head and loved the convenience.
Thanks in advance for advice.

--
Terry
Remove the rodent from my email address to reply directly.

Jim

On 2005-11-21 20:39:03 -0500, "Terry" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> I have a Canon 20D with the 17-85 kit lens and plan on getting the new
> 70-300 IS soon. I also have the 420EX flash. I need to upgrade my
> tripod and want to hold the price to $300. My interest so far is
> chiefly in either the Slik PRO 813 CF or PRO 814 CF with the AF-2100
> pistol grip head. I see models from Manfrotto, Gitzo, etc. in the same
> price range. What's the best value? I have used a friends pistol grip
> head and loved the convenience. Thanks in advance for advice.

I own an horrendously expensive Gitzo carbon fiber.. I love the thing,
light and increadibly strong and the carbon fiber doesn't stick to your
hands in the New England winters. I can vouch for the quality of
construction.

I also own an antique Slik.. like 24 years antique.
I don't know what to think of it. The plastic parts in critical places
.... like the head and the post gears are troublesome, but the U-Channel
legs are strong and rigid... always struck me as tripod that should
have cost 50 bucks more and improved the weak parts (50 bucks more
when I bought it would have doubled the price). I have not picked up a
Slik in awhile but form a close distantance they look worth considering.

In this price range, I think I would be looking long and hard at the
Manfrotto's .

As far as the AF-2100 head.... make sure you play with one before you
buy. I don't think I would find it useful. But tripod heads as a
individual as the user. My two favorite heads are a good simple ball
head or the Gitzo (or similar) offset ball heads. THe Jury is still
out on this one. There are days I love the offset ball.. and days I
wish it be gone! I think if I were to do again, a simple ball..
but then qucik release is real nice. I don't like knobs on sticks..
they always try to give me a tracheotomy. Save them for the video
guys. My current head is a Gitzo 1276M.

Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

JimmyG

I'm using a Manfrotto 322

1http://www.bogenimaging.us/product/templates/templates.php3?sectionid=2&itemid=2686

It's heavy, but solid as a rock & has great leg locks (Those twisty things
are a pain).

I love the green color, too.

Get a nice ball head, like the 488RC2, & you'll be well within your budget,
& happy with your equipment for quite a while.....until you want to upgrade.

[BnH]

I just recommend one to a friend with similar setup [ 350D + 17-40 L +
70-200 L + 50 + 580EX ] and he ended up getting the Manfrotto 055 Pro B +
322 RC head.

I have the AF-2100 pistol head by SLIK n imho .. it is not as comfortable
when using the Manfrotto 322RC, esp when chasing after birds

=bob=

news:(E-Mail Removed)...