Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > crypto key generate rsa error

crypto key generate rsa error

Michael W. Hubbard

Dear Reader;
Cisco 2621 router with IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(5)

I want to be able to use SSH from the internet. Looking at Cisco's Secure
Shell Commands reference it says to generate an RSA key first using crypto
key generate rsa from global config mode. When I do that I receive the
following. According to Cisco's reference this feature was added to 11(3).
Any suggestions? Thanks.
Michael Hubbard

Loud_2620(config)#crypto key generate rsa
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Loud_2620(config)#

Martin Bilgrav

Do you have a K9 image running ?
What is the flsh file-name of the running image of IOS ?

"Michael W. Hubbard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%Snkf.2785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Reader;
> Cisco 2621 router with IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version

12.2(5)

> I want to be able to use SSH from the internet. Looking at Cisco's Secure
> Shell Commands reference it says to generate an RSA key first using crypto
> key generate rsa from global config mode. When I do that I receive the
> following. According to Cisco's reference this feature was added to

11(3).
> Any suggestions? Thanks.
> Michael Hubbard
>
> Loud_2620(config)#crypto key generate rsa
> ^
> % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
>
> Loud_2620(config)#

Matty M

"Michael W. Hubbard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%Snkf.2785$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dear Reader;
> Cisco 2621 router with IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version
> 12.2(5)
>
> I want to be able to use SSH from the internet. Looking at Cisco's Secure
> Shell Commands reference it says to generate an RSA key first using crypto
> key generate rsa from global config mode. When I do that I receive the
> following. According to Cisco's reference this feature was added to
> 11(3). Any suggestions? Thanks.
> Michael Hubbard
>
> Loud_2620(config)#crypto key generate rsa
> ^
> % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.
>
> Loud_2620(config)#

Hi,

Maybe you are using the wrong IOS version as in not the number but the
software feature set.

Many thanks

Matt

anybody43@hotmail.com

> Loud_2620(config)#crypto key generate rsa
> C2600-I-M

-I- = IP only.

I think that you need more than that for ssh.
In fact I think you need the full crypto image. $$$

By the way -M = Run from RAM

Z = compressed image file (which you don't have)

Michael W. Hubbard

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I didn't realize that I would need the crypto feature set for ssh but since
you have to generate an RSA key I guess that makes since.

Sorry for not posting the ver. I knew to do that but just forgot.

IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.2(5), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Compiled Tue 11-Sep-01 22:18 by pwade
Image text-base: 0x80008088, data-base: 0x80989210

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 11.3(2)XA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Loud_2620 uptime is 4 weeks, 4 days, 17 hours, 47 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:c2600-i-mz.122-5.bin"

Michael Hubbard

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>> Loud_2620(config)#crypto key generate rsa
>> C2600-I-M

> -I- = IP only.
>
> I think that you need more than that for ssh.
> In fact I think you need the full crypto image. $$$
>

> By the way -M = Run from RAM
>
> Z = compressed image file (which you don't have)

kcrumz kcrumz is offline
Junior Member

You need an IOS that has the cryptographic features. You will need a Cisco Connection Online (CCO) account to download a crypto IOS.

P3X454_YODA# sh ver
Cisco IOS Software, C1700 Software (C1700-K9O3SY7-M), Version 12.3(11)T5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Sat 02-Apr-05 18:29 by yiyan

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(7r)XM4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

P3X454_YODA uptime is 3 hours, 48 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System image file is "flash:c1700-k9o3sy7-mz.123-11.T5.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

Cisco 1712 (MPC862P) processor (revision 0x101) with 83559K/14745K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOC09247YL9 (260893732), with hardware revision 0000
MPC862P processor: part number 7, mask 0
1 Ethernet interface
5 FastEthernet interfaces
1 ISDN Basic Rate interface
32K bytes of NVRAM.
32768K bytes of processor board System flash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102