Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Cisco 2600 Series Router T1 Speeds

Cisco 2600 Series Router T1 Speeds

SPAMMERSAREMORONS

I was curious what FTP speeds we should expect with a single T1 or the
BGP-based T1's (roughly 4.5Mbps). I'm only seeing 44KB/sec uploads and
100KB/sec downloads night and day. I was curious what other people had
found. Thanks

CiscoHeadsetAdapter.com

It all depends on what are you downloading and uploading. If you are
connected directly to your router (for example, T1 between two offices),
then you could get about 140-150Kbytes/sec (1.5MBit divided by 8 Bits, minus
10-20% administrative overhead (TCP/IP headers, etc.)

If you are talking about Internet download/upload, then it could be anything
from 0.0001 Bytes/sec to 150Kbytes per second, since you are going through
shared media. For example, you are downloading something out of the web.
That company has one T1, and if you are alone, who downloads at this time,
then you could get 150KBytes/sec. But if there are 10 people, who download
at this particular time, then everybody gets 15KBytes/second, and so on.

Good luck,

Mike
www.ciscoheadsetadapter.com

news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

anybody43@hotmail.com

> I was curious what FTP speeds we should expect with a single T1 or the
> BGP-based T1's (roughly 4.5Mbps). I'm only seeing 44KB/sec uploads and
> 0KB/sec downloads night and day. I was curious what other people had
> found. Thanks

There are many issues here.

Some sites limit the bandwidth per user.
What is the round trip time between the sites?
What are the TCP window sizes.
What is the error rate on the link.

I am on a 100Mbps Internet link and I see 400K Bytes/sec
download from for example Cisco. i.e. 4Mbps.

This does not surprise me at all.

SPAMMERSAREMORONS

Intead of one T1 we have three using BGP. Based on that, I've see 450KB/sec
on web-based downloads that jive with the formula: 4632 / 8 = 579.00 -
115.80 (20%) = 463.20.
4632 * 8 = 3 T1's at 1.544Mbps.

The twist here is that FTP speeds can do no better than 44Kbps (Uploads) and
104Kbps (Downloads) night or day. They can even plummet to 4Kbps during busy
periods (which I can understand). It just seems that either FTP speeds are
capped with our BGP setup.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I was curious what FTP speeds we should expect with a single T1 or the
>> BGP-based T1's (roughly 4.5Mbps). I'm only seeing 44KB/sec uploads and
>> 0KB/sec downloads night and day. I was curious what other people had
>> found. Thanks

> There are many issues here.
>
> Some sites limit the bandwidth per user.
> What is the round trip time between the sites?
> What are the TCP window sizes.
> What is the error rate on the link.
>
> I am on a 100Mbps Internet link and I see 400K Bytes/sec
> download from for example Cisco. i.e. 4Mbps.
>
> This does not surprise me at all.

Hansang Bae

SPAMMERSAREMORONS wrote:

> Intead of one T1 we have three using BGP. Based on that, I've see
> 450KB/sec on web-based downloads that jive with the formula: 4632 / 8
> = 579.00 - 115.80 (20%) = 463.20. 4632 * 8 = 3 T1's at 1.544Mbps.
>
> The twist here is that FTP speeds can do no better than 44Kbps
> (Uploads) and 104Kbps (Downloads) night or day. They can even plummet
> to 4Kbps during busy periods (which I can understand). It just seems
> that either FTP speeds are capped with our BGP setup.

BGP has nothing whatever to do with your setup. What matters is
whether you are mux'ing the circuits or not (hardware IMUX or MLPPP).
Based on the fact that you are getting ~4Mbps thoughput, it looks like
you are mux'ing them together (or per packet load balancing)

As to your ftp issue, it's entirely possible that someone is
rate-limiting your ftp jobs or your ftp client is horribly inefficient.
Remember that tcp typically needs a window size == 2* BW*DELAY to fill
the pipes.

--

hsb

Due to the volume of email that I receive, I may not be able to