Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D200 Battery Question

Nikon D200 Battery Question

George Dingwall

Hi there,

Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK to use in the new Nikon
D200 camera.

Thanks for any info.

Bye for now,

George Dingwall

Invergordon, Scotland

http://freespace.virgin.net/george.gdingwall/index.html

Ed Ruf

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:07:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital George Dingwall
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK to use in the new Nikon
>D200 camera.

I believe the answer is no. I believe the new batts are backwards
compatible with the D70, etc, but you can use the old batts in the
D200.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com

NikV

(.(*. .*).)
<.. NIK ..>
(.(.* *.).)
"Ed Ruf" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:07:27 GMT, in rec.photo.digital George Dingwall
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK to use in the new Nikon
>>D200 camera.

> I believe the answer is no. I believe the new batts are backwards
> compatible with the D70, etc, but you can use the old batts in the
> D200.
> __________________________________________________ ______
> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ((E-Mail Removed))
> http://EdwardGRuf.com

>"Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK "

"I believe the answer is no"

" but you can use the old batts in the
D200"

????

I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras
--
(.(*. .*).)
<.. NIK ..>

Pete D

>>"Will the EN-EL3 battery from the D70 be OK "

> "I believe the answer is no"
>
> " but you can use the old batts in the
> D200"
>

> ????
>
> I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
> batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras

Very naughty of Nikon really.

Dimitris M

> > I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
> > batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras

> Very naughty of Nikon really.

You misjuge Nikon. The new battery is a real improvement. But the third
contact in the camera will be damaged from the shape of the old battery, so
they had to prevent this.
--
Dimitris M

Christopher Muto

better design could have prevented that. but they don't seem to care
anymore about loyal customers.

"Dimitris M" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
>> > batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras

>> Very naughty of Nikon really.

> You misjuge Nikon. The new battery is a real improvement. But the third
> contact in the camera will be damaged from the shape of the old battery,
> so
> they had to prevent this.
> --
> Dimitris M

Thomas T. Veldhouse

Pete D <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> I think the D200 will need the EN-EL3e with the third contact but these
>> batteries 3e 3a and 3 can be used in the D70, D70s and D50 cameras

> Very naughty of Nikon really.

Thanks to that battery recall on the batteries in the D70, I got a
replacement 3e for free! Gotta love free upgrades.

--
Thomas T. Veldhouse

Dimitris M

> > You misjuge Nikon. The new battery
> > is a real improvement. But the third
> > contact in the camera will be damaged
> >from the shape of the old battery,
> > so they had to prevent this.

> better design could have prevented that. but they don't seem to care
> anymore about loyal customers.

I have different opinion. The contact should be as the other two in a slot
in the battery body and not in the surface. Even if they have it exposed in
the surface of the battery, the relative contact inside the body of the
camera should be in different level from the other two, otherwise it would
be damaged. In a compact design as the camera is, it is impossible to lose
any space to do this. In addition, it is very logical that the camera's
computer uses this third contact, not only for indication, but for other
fundamental functions. For ex, if the battery is low, it could refuse to
begin to start a format process with the danger to destroy the FAT of the
card, or to begin a file transfer that may never finish etc.

BTW, I am electronic engineer
--
Dimitris M

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:26:05 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "NikV"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> I believe the answer is no. I believe the new batts are backwards
>> compatible with the D70, etc, but you can use the old batts in the

^^^
should have been can't
>> D200.

See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

JimmyG

I called Nikon on this one. Their response was:

The EN-EL3 are NOT compatible with the D200. However the EN-EL3E's from the
D2000 ARE compatible with the D70.