Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Manfrotto Hydrostatic Ballhead

Manfrotto Hydrostatic Ballhead

JimmyG

Has anybody here had any experience with this ballhead?

I'm looking for alternatives to the Kirk or Arca heads for my 200-400 VR
Zoom.

--
Jimmy

Paul Heslop

JimmyG wrote:

> Has anybody here had any experience with this ballhead?
>
> I'm looking for alternatives to the Kirk or Arca heads for my 200-400 VR
> Zoom.
>
> --
> Jimmy

I thought you were just letting off steam :O)

--
Paul (Dear Sir, I have a complaint)
Stop and Look

Mardon

"JimmyG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Has anybody here had any experience with this ballhead?
> I'm looking for alternatives to the Kirk or Arca heads for my 200-400 VR
> Zoom.
> Jimmy

I'm interested too. As described in a post I made to this group on Nov
11th, I was about to order an RRS BH-55. Someone I know then suggested that
I consider a Manfrotto model 468MG hydrostatic head instead. The Manfrotto
sells for US$350 and the BH-55 sells for US$455. I'm still inclined to
order the BH-55 but maybe I'll wait a day or two now to see if anyone
comments on Manfrotto's hydrostatic heads.

JimmyG

I too am waiting for input from other sources, as well.

I'm leaning towards the Kirk & Arca heads. If adaptable for my needs, the
Manfrotto would be a savings of about $200!

I'm trying to find out if the long head is adaptable to Arca plates, & if
the long plate will work well on my lens' foot. Manfrotto has responded
reasonably well in the past.

Doug Warner

"Mardon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm interested too. As described in a post I made to this group on Nov
>11th, I was about to order an RRS BH-55. Someone I know then suggested that
>I consider a Manfrotto model 468MG hydrostatic head instead. The Manfrotto
>sells for US$350 and the BH-55 sells for US$455. I'm still inclined to
>order the BH-55 but maybe I'll wait a day or two now to see if anyone
>comments on Manfrotto's hydrostatic heads.

I needed one for my monopod, and wanted a way to release it without
shifting my grip, and to have the smallest swing radius possible.
I modified a couple of Manfrotto grip-release ballheads for this
purpose.
I'm not sure which one I'm going to keep.

http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/MonoBall.jpg
http://webpages.charter.net/dwarner2/MonoBall2.jpg

--
Email reply: please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are Scammers. Exterminate them.

DMC

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:34:27 -0800, "JimmyG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Has anybody here had any experience with this ballhead?
>
>I'm looking for alternatives to the Kirk or Arca heads for my 200-400 VR
>Zoom.

I have been using the 468MGRC4 for a few months now and I am very happy with it.
Very smooth locking action and very solid. I showed it to a friend who uses a
Markins head, and he was impressed with the smoothness of the locking mechanism
(a trait of the Markins, I understand).

I use this with a 500/4, 80-400 lenses mounted to a D2x. The 468MG head is
attached to a Manfrotto 443 tripod.

..Dan