Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help needed choosing a boom for lighting

Help needed choosing a boom for lighting

kasterborus@yahoo.com

I need to hang my Photogenic StudioMax II light on a boom arm - I've
looked at the arms available on Adorama and there seems to be a wide
range of options.

The problem is that it's not always clear how much weight these arms
hold - does anyone have a recommendation for a boom arm that can hold
one of these lights?

Thanks

Hunt

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,

>I need to hang my Photogenic StudioMax II light on a boom arm - I've
>looked at the arms available on Adorama and there seems to be a wide
>range of options.
>
>The problem is that it's not always clear how much weight these arms
>hold - does anyone have a recommendation for a boom arm that can hold
>one of these lights?
>
>Thanks

I have used the Bogen "Maxi-boom" for twenty years, with no problem, other
than an occasional crank handle breaking (I just keep a few of each - dang
things are asymetrical). If you do not exceed the supporting capability of the
arm itself, the best solution is to stop by and exercise shop and buy a load
of "ankle weights." Most have Velcro straps, and will attach to the ends of
the bracing of the arm's stand. When I have dangled large softboxes at full-
extension of the arm, I use two 5# ankle weights per leg, mounted as close
to the outer edges of the "tripod" of the stand, as is possible, and then add
two to the ballast weight, which is included with the boom.

The rig, without ankle weights, weighs about 25# and breaks into 3 pieces:
boom arm (8'), stand (about 5' when legs are collapsed and center column is
retracted), and the ballast weight. Seems that I paid about US$200, but that
was 20 years ago.

Hunt

PS pick up a handful of the crank handles, as assistants will invariably let
the boom hit the ground, by taking off the ballast, or the softbox, and NOT
stabilizing the unit!