Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recommended External Flash for Kodak P850

Recommended External Flash for Kodak P850

domtam@hotmail.com

Hi there. I've just bought my Kodak P850. One of the main reasons of
picking P850 is that it supports external flash. I understand that
Kodak P20 is one good option, but it's a bit too expensive. So, I'm
looking for a non-dedicated 3rd party flash like Vivitar or Sunpak.

According to Kodak support site, P850 (or DX6490), the maxmum voltage
is 500 volts.
http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...EntryPath=7562

Could any of the P850 owners recommend a good (and safe) external flash
for this camera? It'd be nice if it is around CAD$100, or US$80 or so.
I hope that its guide number is over 30.

Thanks a lot!
Dominic

Ron Baird

>Hi there. I've just bought my Kodak P850. One of the main reasons of
>picking P850 is that it supports external flash. I understand that
>Kodak P20 is one good option, but it's a bit too expensive. So, I'm
>looking for a non-dedicated 3rd party flash like Vivitar or Sunpak.
>
>According to Kodak support site, P850 (or DX6490), the maxmum voltage
>is 500 volts.
>http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...EntryPath=7562
>

>Could any of the P850 owners recommend a good (and safe) external flash
>for this camera? It'd be nice if it is around CAD$100, or US$80 or so.
>I hope that its guide number is over 30.
>
>Thanks a lot!
>Dominic

Greetings Dom,

Actually, you are right, the camera will work with any flash that can
connect using a standard flash connector. As noted it works up to 500 volts.

One of the advantages of this camera, however, is the ability of the camera
to talk to the flash and vice versa. This is worth the extra money as the
camera and flash will work together to get the picture they way you want it.
Other flashes will work also, but you will have to control the light via the
flash then set the shutter and aperture etc. to accommodate the flash or
vice versa. Check the review for details.

I have and use a Sunpak 622 that will do lots of things, but you have to
coordinate with the settings of the camera. The 622 is a quite a bit
more powerful than the P20. So, for me it is a trade off between the
extra power and the convenience of the auto/communication feature. I
tend to like the auto option.

The camera features: a bounce head that allows images to have a more natural
light affect; the automated zoom gives greater flash coverage; the
intelligent flash system can read camera setting information through the hot
shoe and react accordingly.

a.. Recycle time on fully charged batteries is approximately 10 seconds
a.. At ISO 100 speed, the flash reaches a distance of 30 ft (9.1 m) at wide
and 33 ft (10 m) at telephoto. At ISO to 200, flash ranges can be doubled
a.. Bounce head for more natural light
a.. Automated zoom for great flash coverage
a.. Intelligent flash interacts with camera
a.. Guide number: 40 at 80 mm position (ISO 100, m)
a.. View settings on LCD display

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ron Baird

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi there. I've just bought my Kodak P850. One of the main reasons of
>picking P850 is that it supports external flash. I understand that
>Kodak P20 is one good option, but it's a bit too expensive. So, I'm
>looking for a non-dedicated 3rd party flash like Vivitar or Sunpak.
>
>According to Kodak support site, P850 (or DX6490), the maxmum voltage
>is 500 volts.
>http://www.kodak.com/global/en/servi...EntryPath=7562
>

>Could any of the P850 owners recommend a good (and safe) external flash
>for this camera? It'd be nice if it is around CAD$100, or US$80 or so.
>I hope that its guide number is over 30.
>
>Thanks a lot!
>Dominic

Greetings Dom,

Actually, you are right, the camera will work with any flash that can
connect using a standard flash connector. As noted it works up to 500 volts.

One of the advantages of this camera, however, is the ability of the camera
to talk to the flash and vice versa. This is worth the extra money as the
camera and flash will work together to get the picture they way you want it.
Other flashes will work also, but you will have to control the light via the
flash then set the shutter and aperture etc. to accommodate the flash or
vice versa. Check the review for details.

I have and use a Sunpak 622 that will do lots of things, but you have to
coordinate with the settings of the camera. The 622 is a quite a bit
more powerful than the P20. So, for me it is a trade off between the
extra power and the convenience of the auto/communication feature. I
tend to like the auto option.

The camera features: a bounce head that allows images to have a more natural
light affect; the automated zoom gives greater flash coverage; the
intelligent flash system can read camera setting information through the hot
shoe and react accordingly.

a.. Recycle time on fully charged batteries is approximately 10 seconds
a.. At ISO 100 speed, the flash reaches a distance of 30 ft (9.1 m) at wide
and 33 ft (10 m) at telephoto. At ISO to 200, flash ranges can be doubled
a.. Bounce head for more natural light
a.. Automated zoom for great flash coverage
a.. Intelligent flash interacts with camera
a.. Guide number: 40 at 80 mm position (ISO 100, m)
a.. View settings on LCD display

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

domtam@hotmail.com

Thanks Ron, for your time to reply. I have a few more questions

- Do you know if P20 head can swivel (good for bounced back flash of
portrait photo)?

- For my brief use of my P850, it does have problem with indoor
(relatively low-light) auto-focussing. Is it due to the missing AF
illuminator? Do you know if P20 has such a AF illuminator that can
improve the low-light focussing of my P850. Otherwise, how can I
achieve better result with indoor (or low-light condition) photos?

- I do like a dedicated TTL flash too. It's very handy. Don't get me
wrong. In fact, I also own a Canon dedicated flash 380EX for my old
Canon Rebel G (BTW, a disappointing 35 mm camera). A problem with
dedicated flash is that it cannot be transferred to any camera of
another brand. For example, my Canon Flash cannot be used with my new
Kodak P850 now. That's certainly another consideration.

Do you think that your Sunpak 622 can work SAFELY with P850? How about
Sunpak 383?

Thanks a lot again, Ron!
Dom

Ron Baird

Hi Dom,

Again, my apologies for being late in responding.

Actually, the P850 that works well in providing flash synch via the hot
shoe. I should have noted that this model does not have an external port for
standard synch cords, however, so if you want to use a non shoe type flash,
you need an accessory adapter to fit onto the shoe. I find the P20 does a
really nice job. Experiment with it a bit before taking any serious
pictures, the same as you would any other accessory.

Your concern about the camera not focusing in low light is not a known issue
with that camera. The camera has a 25 zone TTL metering system and can do
multi-pattern, center-weighted, center spot, selectable zone metering modes.
If you are not getting what you want during metering, try adjusting the
camera to a zone better suited for low light, i.e. multi-pattern. See what
happens. You can also use the over and under options to increase and or
decrease exposure based on results.

Also, the flash does not have a swivel head just the up and down option. It
should accommodate the Sunpak 383 and other hot shoe mounted flashes.

Sorry to be late, I will be around more now that I have returned.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Thanks Ron, for your time to reply. I have a few more questions
>
> - Do you know if P20 head can swivel (good for bounced back flash of
> portrait photo)?
>
> - For my brief use of my P850, it does have problem with indoor
> (relatively low-light) auto-focussing. Is it due to the missing AF
> illuminator? Do you know if P20 has such a AF illuminator that can
> improve the low-light focussing of my P850. Otherwise, how can I
> achieve better result with indoor (or low-light condition) photos?
>
> - I do like a dedicated TTL flash too. It's very handy. Don't get me
> wrong. In fact, I also own a Canon dedicated flash 380EX for my old
> Canon Rebel G (BTW, a disappointing 35 mm camera). A problem with
> dedicated flash is that it cannot be transferred to any camera of
> another brand. For example, my Canon Flash cannot be used with my new
> Kodak P850 now. That's certainly another consideration.
>
> Do you think that your Sunpak 622 can work SAFELY with P850? How about
> Sunpak 383?
>

> Thanks a lot again, Ron!
> Dom

Ron Baird

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks Ron, for your time to reply. I have a few more questions
>
>- Do you know if P20 head can swivel (good for bounced back flash of
>portrait photo)?
>
>- For my brief use of my P850, it does have problem with indoor
>(relatively low-light) auto-focussing. Is it due to the missing AF
>illuminator? Do you know if P20 has such a AF illuminator that can
>improve the low-light focussing of my P850. Otherwise, how can I
>achieve better result with indoor (or low-light condition) photos?
>
>- I do like a dedicated TTL flash too. It's very handy. Don't get me
>wrong. In fact, I also own a Canon dedicated flash 380EX for my old
>Canon Rebel G (BTW, a disappointing 35 mm camera). A problem with
>dedicated flash is that it cannot be transferred to any camera of
>another brand. For example, my Canon Flash cannot be used with my new
>Kodak P850 now. That's certainly another consideration.
>
>Do you think that your Sunpak 622 can work SAFELY with P850? How about
>Sunpak 383?
>

>Thanks a lot again, Ron!
>Dom

Hi Dom,

Sorry I did not see this online till now.

As to the P20 Flash, it does not have a swivel feature. Rather, it will
move up and down 90 degrees but not from side to side. No there is no
extra light on the P20 for preflash, etc. It is a dedicated flash,
however, and is very efficient in that regard. Also, the P850 does not
have an external flash port, just the shoe (the P880 does). So, unless
you have the accessory adapter from Sunpak to accommodate that
situation, not the flash will not work. The 622 does have a nice
handle/camera support as part of the flash unit which makes it easy to
connect the camera.

Hope this helps if you did not find the information already.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Ron Baird

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Thanks Ron, for your time to reply. I have a few more questions
>
>- Do you know if P20 head can swivel (good for bounced back flash of
>portrait photo)?
>
>- For my brief use of my P850, it does have problem with indoor
>(relatively low-light) auto-focussing. Is it due to the missing AF
>illuminator? Do you know if P20 has such a AF illuminator that can
>improve the low-light focussing of my P850. Otherwise, how can I
>achieve better result with indoor (or low-light condition) photos?
>
>- I do like a dedicated TTL flash too. It's very handy. Don't get me
>wrong. In fact, I also own a Canon dedicated flash 380EX for my old
>Canon Rebel G (BTW, a disappointing 35 mm camera). A problem with
>dedicated flash is that it cannot be transferred to any camera of
>another brand. For example, my Canon Flash cannot be used with my new
>Kodak P850 now. That's certainly another consideration.
>
>Do you think that your Sunpak 622 can work SAFELY with P850? How about
>Sunpak 383?
>

>Thanks a lot again, Ron!
>Dom

Hi Dom,

Sorry I did not see this online till now.

As to the P20 Flash, it does not have a swivel feature. Rather, it will
move up and down 90 degrees but not from side to side. No there is no
extra light on the P20 for preflash, etc. It is a dedicated flash,
however, and is very efficient in that regard. Also, the P850 does not
have an external flash port, just the shoe (the P880 does). So, unless
you have the accessory adapter from Sunpak to accommodate that
situation, not the flash will not work. The 622 does have a nice
handle/camera support as part of the flash unit which makes it easy to
connect the camera.

Hope this helps if you did not find the information already.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

domtam@hotmail.com

Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for your time to follow up my questions. I really
appreciate that.

Please, please don't take my comments as offensive. I just wanna
discuss the possibilty of issues here.

Back to the focusing issue. In fact, there are two separate issues

1. Low-light focusing problem - Apparently, I'm not the only one who
experience this issue.
"Low light focusing was not good. "
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko...ew/index.shtml

"The big limitation of the P850 for low light shooting is its autofocus
system. It had quite a bit of trouble focusing in even moderately dim
lighting, and has no AF assist lamp to aid it in dark conditions. The
end result is that we had to manually focus the camera throughout most
of this test. "
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P850/P850A.HTM

2. "Soft focus". Even though the focus-OK green light was displayed,
some of the photos turned out to be out-of-focus. I'm a kinda
"traditional" photographer. I don't use "multi-focus-point" mode. I
select center-focus to make sure that it knows where I really want the
focus is on. Still, it turns out that about 30% ( or higher, but not
scientific statistics) photos are not quite sharp. I can post / email
sample photos for you to examine. Is it the issue of my camera only?

BTW, I'm not sure if dcresource found the same problem that I'm
experiencing...

"Images can be fuzzy at times;"
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ko...ew/index.shtml

Is there any way that I can get around the problem? Do I get a
defective camera?

Dominic

Ron Baird wrote:
> Hi Dom,
>
> Again, my apologies for being late in responding.
>
> Actually, the P850 that works well in providing flash synch via the hot
> shoe. I should have noted that this model does not have an external port for
> standard synch cords, however, so if you want to use a non shoe type flash,
> you need an accessory adapter to fit onto the shoe. I find the P20 does a
> really nice job. Experiment with it a bit before taking any serious
> pictures, the same as you would any other accessory.
>
> Your concern about the camera not focusing in low light is not a known issue
> with that camera. The camera has a 25 zone TTL metering system and can do
> multi-pattern, center-weighted, center spot, selectable zone metering modes.
> If you are not getting what you want during metering, try adjusting the
> camera to a zone better suited for low light, i.e. multi-pattern. See what
> happens. You can also use the over and under options to increase and or
> decrease exposure based on results.
>
> Also, the flash does not have a swivel head just the up and down option. It
> should accommodate the Sunpak 383 and other hot shoe mounted flashes.
>
> Sorry to be late, I will be around more now that I have returned.
>
> Talk to you soon,
>
> Ron Baird
> Eastman Kodak Company
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> > Thanks Ron, for your time to reply. I have a few more questions
> >
> > - Do you know if P20 head can swivel (good for bounced back flash of
> > portrait photo)?
> >
> > - For my brief use of my P850, it does have problem with indoor
> > (relatively low-light) auto-focussing. Is it due to the missing AF
> > illuminator? Do you know if P20 has such a AF illuminator that can
> > improve the low-light focussing of my P850. Otherwise, how can I
> > achieve better result with indoor (or low-light condition) photos?
> >
> > - I do like a dedicated TTL flash too. It's very handy. Don't get me
> > wrong. In fact, I also own a Canon dedicated flash 380EX for my old
> > Canon Rebel G (BTW, a disappointing 35 mm camera). A problem with
> > dedicated flash is that it cannot be transferred to any camera of
> > another brand. For example, my Canon Flash cannot be used with my new
> > Kodak P850 now. That's certainly another consideration.
> >
> > Do you think that your Sunpak 622 can work SAFELY with P850? How about
> > Sunpak 383?
> >

> > Thanks a lot again, Ron!
> > Dom

Roots750

Dominic, for what they are worth here are my two cents.
First I am not a professional photographer, but I do consider myself to be a
competent consumer camera user. Over the past 40 years I have used many
types of cameras and my first digital was a Kodak DX3215 several years ago.
Wanting to take advantage of the long zoom technology I purchased a Kodak
DX6490 when it first came out. I can't complain about the design of the
camera or the quality of the pictures, however what irked me most was its
inability to focus in low light. Unexpectedly after just 16 months the EVF
became unusable, after being quoted $320 for repairs by a Kodak repair
center and wanting to stay with the home team I decided to try out the P850
(opening the box I discovered it was made in China).
I found the P850 to be well designed, easy to use and loaded with many
features not found on other more expensive cameras in the same class. After
using the camera for two weeks a couple of things really bothered me.
Although it was better than the 6490, the P850 had a difficult time focusing
in low light. I'm not talking dark, just normal indoor lighting, with the
end result more often than not, being a fuzzy picture - whether auto or one
of the other modes were used.The other issue was the flash that is supposed
to pop up when needed, it can't be operated manually. Quite often when
shooting indoors the flash would pop up the exposure and focus would be
indicated as OK, but when the shutter was pressed the flash didn't fire
resulting in severely underexposed pictures.
I'm not trying to bash Kodak here just tell you what my experiences were. I
really tried to like the P850 and there is an awful lot to like about the
camera, but I would have to agree with you and the sources you quoted - low
light focusing seems to be a problem. Ron Baird has helped me out a few
times on this forum and I respect his opinions, however he does work for the
company. I have since returned the P850 and will do a little more research
before my next purchase.

> [...]

> > > portrait photo)?
> > >
> > > - For my brief use of my P850, it does have problem with indoor
> > > (relatively low-light) auto-focussing. Is it due to the missing AF
> > > illuminator? Do you know if P20 has such a AF illuminator that can
> > > improve the low-light focussing of my P850. Otherwise, how can I
> > > achieve better result with indoor (or low-light condition) photos?
> > >
> > > - I do like a dedicated TTL flash too. It's very handy. Don't get me
> > > wrong. In fact, I also own a Canon dedicated flash 380EX for my old
> > > Canon Rebel G (BTW, a disappointing 35 mm camera). A problem with
> > > dedicated flash is that it cannot be transferred to any camera of
> > > another brand. For example, my Canon Flash cannot be used with my new
> > > Kodak P850 now. That's certainly another consideration.
> > >
> > > Do you think that your Sunpak 622 can work SAFELY with P850? How about

Ron Baird

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> [...]
>>>portrait photo)?
>>>
>>>- For my brief use of my P850, it does have problem with indoor
>>>(relatively low-light) auto-focussing. Is it due to the missing AF
>>>illuminator? Do you know if P20 has such a AF illuminator that can
>>>improve the low-light focussing of my P850. Otherwise, how can I
>>>achieve better result with indoor (or low-light condition) photos?
>>>
>>>- I do like a dedicated TTL flash too. It's very handy. Don't get me
>>>wrong. In fact, I also own a Canon dedicated flash 380EX for my old
>>>Canon Rebel G (BTW, a disappointing 35 mm camera). A problem with
>>>dedicated flash is that it cannot be transferred to any camera of
>>>another brand. For example, my Canon Flash cannot be used with my new
>>>Kodak P850 now. That's certainly another consideration.
>>>
>>>Do you think that your Sunpak 622 can work SAFELY with P850? How about

My apologies Dominic,

I have been off on vacation and catching up for the last two weeks and
am just now getting back to the newsgroups. I did not see your message
till today. I am glad to follow on.

Since the camera uses many features to get the right exposure, you can
adjust any noted settings to provide the same exposure, but with a
smaller aperture to increase the chance of more of the picture being in
the right depth of field. Use the right mode and change the focus
qualityl. You can use all the features of the camera to control your
images and that is the likely best bet in this case. If the images you
are getting are soft, what modes are you in, and are you in low light.
The camera will try to adjust itself for maximum results and may be
using a large aperture causing you to lose some focus points in your
scene. I should recall samples, but I can't at this point. Send some
along and I will be glad to review for you. Remember you need to make a
good choice between size of aperture and shutter speed. Either one can
cause your images to be ever so slightly 'out of focus.'

Part of the issue we're seeing with focus is in the speed and the amount
of time required to clear the buffer memory of the previous image data.
Not so much on the 850 but more on the 880. Also, we are taking all
these things into consideration, along with user comments that we gather
from tech areas and the experiences noted here. We have a list of
improvements we are considering for possible firmware updates in the
future., but at this point I can't promise one. Please be assured,
however, that we are always listening to feedback from our users, i.e. you.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird