Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Vignetting on 'full frame' sensors vs. 35mm film test?

Vignetting on 'full frame' sensors vs. 35mm film test?

W (winhag)

Folks,

Has anyone ever tried doing an apples to apples vignetting comparison
between a full frame DSLR (e.g. 5D) vs. a 35mm film SLR? Specifically,
using the same lens on both cameras shooting an evenly lit white or
gray card, then scanning the film shot and comparing (preferably with a
few different lenses/focal lengths) the film vs FF sensor with the same
lens?
With all the discussion threads on here regarding vignetting issues
with digital sensors, I have yet to see such a comparison. It would be
very enlightening for all.

John A. Stovall

On 14 Nov 2005 08:25:59 -0800, "W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Has anyone ever tried doing an apples to apples vignetting comparison
>between a full frame DSLR (e.g. 5D) vs. a 35mm film SLR? Specifically,
>using the same lens on both cameras shooting an evenly lit white or
>gray card, then scanning the film shot and comparing (preferably with a
>few different lenses/focal lengths) the film vs FF sensor with the same
>lens?
>With all the discussion threads on here regarding vignetting issues
>with digital sensors, I have yet to see such a comparison. It would be
>very enlightening for all.

It can be fixed so easily in CS2's raw, I don't see why it an issue.

*************************************
A man said to the universe:
"Sir, I exist!"
"However" replied the universe,
"The fact has not created in me
A sense of obligation."
Stephen Crane

Rich

On 14 Nov 2005 08:25:59 -0800, "W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Folks,
>
>Has anyone ever tried doing an apples to apples vignetting comparison
>between a full frame DSLR (e.g. 5D) vs. a 35mm film SLR? Specifically,
>using the same lens on both cameras shooting an evenly lit white or
>gray card, then scanning the film shot and comparing (preferably with a
>few different lenses/focal lengths) the film vs FF sensor with the same
>lens?
>With all the discussion threads on here regarding vignetting issues
>with digital sensors, I have yet to see such a comparison. It would be
>very enlightening for all.

It can all be fixed.....easily.....
-Vignetting
-Dust
-Chromatic aberration
-Coma (edge blurring)
-Spherical aberration

Provided you want to spend the better part of your life f------ around
with PS.
-Rich

W (winhag)

I am asking this question because I once shot a piece of graph paper on
a wall to look
at barrel distortion. I did this on film with my EF 24mm f/2.8. After I
scanned the developed
film I was surprised at how much vignetting there was. I was not very
careful about lighting because that was not my intent, but the paper
was fairly evenly lit. So I am curious as to how much of an actual
difference there is with the 5D sensor (presumbly due to microlenses)
vs. a 35mm film shot. There has been so much debate/speculation/theory
on here. It would be interesting to see an actual test with a few real
lenses/f-stops of 35mm film vs 5D sensor regarding vignetting.

John A. Stovall wrote:
> On 14 Nov 2005 08:25:59 -0800, "W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Folks,
> >
> >Has anyone ever tried doing an apples to apples vignetting comparison
> >between a full frame DSLR (e.g. 5D) vs. a 35mm film SLR? Specifically,
> >using the same lens on both cameras shooting an evenly lit white or
> >gray card, then scanning the film shot and comparing (preferably with a
> >few different lenses/focal lengths) the film vs FF sensor with the same
> >lens?
> >With all the discussion threads on here regarding vignetting issues
> >with digital sensors, I have yet to see such a comparison. It would be
> >very enlightening for all.

> It can be fixed so easily in CS2's raw, I don't see why it an issue.
>

> *************************************
> A man said to the universe:
> "Sir, I exist!"
> "However" replied the universe,
> "The fact has not created in me
> A sense of obligation."
> Stephen Crane

Stacey

John A. Stovall wrote:

> It can be fixed so easily in CS2's raw, I don't see why it an issue.

Interesting how a canon image quality flaw that can be fixed in software
"Isn't an issue" but if another brand has an image quality flaw that can be
fixed in software it's "A deal breaker"!
--

Stacey

John A. Stovall

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 23:23:39 -0500, Stacey <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>John A. Stovall wrote:
>

>> It can be fixed so easily in CS2's raw, I don't see why it an issue.
>>

>Interesting how a canon image quality flaw that can be fixed in software
>"Isn't an issue" but if another brand has an image quality flaw that can be
>fixed in software it's "A deal breaker"!

I've never seen vignetting a deal breaker. It's a fact of life with
some WA lens even on full frame.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

John A. Stovall

On 14 Nov 2005 20:02:23 -0800, "W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am asking this question because I once shot a piece of graph paper on
>a wall to look
>at barrel distortion. I did this on film with my EF 24mm f/2.8. After I
>scanned the developed
>film I was surprised at how much vignetting there was. I was not very
>careful about lighting because that was not my intent, but the paper
>was fairly evenly lit. So I am curious as to how much of an actual
>difference there is with the 5D sensor (presumbly due to microlenses)
>vs. a 35mm film shot. There has been so much debate/speculation/theory
>on here. It would be interesting to see an actual test with a few real
>lenses/f-stops of 35mm film vs 5D sensor regarding vignetting.

Some 35mm WA also vignett. My 12mm Zeiss Distagon on the Conterex
body did also and one just dealt with it when making the final print
by some artful dodging.

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Lorem Ipsum

"W (winhag)" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I am asking this question because I once shot a piece of graph paper on
> a wall to look
> at barrel distortion.

If the paper was not at infinity, and it probably wasn't, then
close-focusing increases the focal length The effect with some lenses is not
linear, so making comparisons with closeups to normal use has to be done
very carefully.