Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Slideshow software

Slideshow software

GT

I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at the
end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would be
if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.

Is there any free software out there to do the above?

Thanks,
GT

David J Taylor

GT wrote:
> I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to
> show as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not
> stop at the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order.
> Even better would be if the software could do all this with photos in
> several folders.
> Is there any free software out there to do the above?

Yes, probably dozens of programs! This is what I use, simply because I
wrote it:

http://www.david-taylor.myby.co.uk/s...html#SlideShow

You can create a list of images to show by drag-and-drop folders onto the
slide sorter screen. The slide-show list is a text file, so can be
edited.

David

Hans-Georg Michna

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:15:26 -0000, GT wrote:

>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at the
>end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would be
>if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
>
>Is there any free software out there to do the above?

GT,

Windows?

Try its Windows picture and fax viewer. Doesn't do everything
you want, but it works and is simple and free (provided you have
Windows already).

Hans-Georg

--
No mail, please.

Laurent

"GT" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
437871d1$0$9482$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at
>the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better
>would be if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
>
> Is there any free software out there to do the above?
>
> Thanks,
> GT

The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC, Mac,
home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without music ?

Laurent
--
= http://www.laurent-roy.com = http://laurentroy.deviantart.com/store =

poddys

Also Thumbs Plus by Cerios (http://www.cerious.com) will do a nice job
with the slideshow.
You can reduce images to full screen size, change the background,
control other info to display, alter the display interval etc - plus of
course do a lot of image manipulation.
I have used it for 4 years and still very imrpessed.

GT

>>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
>>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at
>>the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better
>>would be if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
>>

> The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC,
> Mac, home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without
> music ?

I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything complicated,
just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.

I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to loop
until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders, that
would be a bonus.

Celcius

"GT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:437890c8$0$9592$(E-Mail Removed) g.com...
> >>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to

show
> >>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at
> >>the end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better
> >>would be if the software could do all this with photos in several

folders.

> > The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC,
> > Mac, home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without
> > music ?

> I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything complicated,
> just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
>
> I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
> Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to

loop
> until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders,

that
> would be a bonus.

GT,
Win XP has something called "My picture slideshow". It's not the best but is
included.
Marcel

GT

> show

> folders.
>> >>
>> > The first thing to know is on wich support you want to show them : PC,
>> > Mac, home DVD player (CD, VCD, SVCD, DVD)... And also with or without
>> > music ?

>> I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything
>> complicated,
>> just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
>>
>> I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
>> Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to

> loop
>> until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders,

> that
>> would be a bonus.
>>

> GT,
> Win XP has something called "My picture slideshow". It's not the best but
> is
> included.

Where do I find this - its not on my Windows Menus? I did a quick Google for
the term and just found some German websites!

Donald Gray

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a subset of nearly 2000 photos on my PC, which I would like to show
>as a slideshow. I would like the slide show to loop forever (not stop at the
>end) and preferebly show the photos in a random order. Even better would be
>if the software could do all this with photos in several folders.
>
>Is there any free software out there to do the above?
>
>Thanks,
>GT

Windows has a slideshow feature built in....

However, I hope that you divide the 2000 images over several shows

with the average 5 seconds on screen per image and a 2 second wipe to
the next slide... = 7 seconds overall per image.

2000 x 7 seconds = 14,000 seconds. / 60 = 233.333 minutes
233.333 mins / 60 = 3.8888 hour...

Will you be serving ices and popcorn between shows?

Joking apart - if you want to do something special, try Pro Show Gold
for a top notch slideshow software - not a freebee but very reasonable
in cost.

Celcius

"GT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:437897fa$0$9592$(E-Mail Removed) g.com...

> > show

better

> > folders.

PC,

> >> I have a Windows XP PC. No photo CDs, DVD players or anything
> >> complicated,
> >> just looking for 'normal' software to slideshow photos on my hard disk.
> >>
> >> I would like something similar to the built-in "Windows Picture and Fax
> >> Viewer", but that can show the photos in a random order and continue to

> > loop
> >> until I stop it. Also if it can handle photos from a number of folders,

> > that
> >> would be a bonus.
> >>

> > GT,
> > Win XP has something called "My picture slideshow". It's not the best

but
> > is
> > included.

> Where do I find this - its not on my Windows Menus? I did a quick Google

for
> the term and just found some German websites!

Click on your destop from the right, click on "Properties" from the left,
then on "screen saver", then choose from the different screen savers, the
one called "My picture show". Then in the "Settings" menu, click on whatever
you want: folder, picture change, how big, etc.
Marcel