Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Determine ISO value from EXIF of Canon JPGs?

Determine ISO value from EXIF of Canon JPGs?

David Arnstein

I have a new Canon SD30 camera. I often leave its ISO setting to AUTO.
I interpret this to mean that the camera chooses an appropriate ISO
value for each picture shot.

When I examine the resulting JPG files, the EXIF data says
Canon ISO: Auto

Ha ha. Captain obvious has spoken. But what I need is the actual,
numeric ISO value so that I can feed it to post-processing programs
such as Neat Image.

I tried Thumbs Plus, Photoshop Elements, and ExifRead. None of these
programs are able to obtain the true ISO value from my JPGs. Is this
value buried somewhere in the various EXIF fields of the JPGs, or is
it truly not reported by the camera? Thanks for any info from Canon
wizards.
--
David Arnstein |
(E-Mail Removed) |

=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (David Arnstein) writes:

> I have a new Canon SD30 camera. I often leave its ISO setting to AUTO.
> I interpret this to mean that the camera chooses an appropriate ISO
> value for each picture shot.
>
> When I examine the resulting JPG files, the EXIF data says
> Canon ISO: Auto
>
> Ha ha. Captain obvious has spoken. But what I need is the actual,
> numeric ISO value so that I can feed it to post-processing programs
> such as Neat Image.
>
> I tried Thumbs Plus, Photoshop Elements, and ExifRead. None of these
> programs are able to obtain the true ISO value from my JPGs. Is this
> value buried somewhere in the various EXIF fields of the JPGs, or is
> it truly not reported by the camera? Thanks for any info from Canon
> wizards.

Could you make a sample image available somehow? You may email one to
me (the address in my signature and from line is valid), if you don't
have access some web space.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

imbsysop

"Måns Rullgård" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> (E-Mail Removed) (David Arnstein) writes:
>
>> I have a new Canon SD30 camera. I often leave its ISO setting to AUTO.
>> I interpret this to mean that the camera chooses an appropriate ISO
>> value for each picture shot.
>>
>> When I examine the resulting JPG files, the EXIF data says
>> Canon ISO: Auto
>>
>> Ha ha. Captain obvious has spoken. But what I need is the actual,
>> numeric ISO value so that I can feed it to post-processing programs
>> such as Neat Image.

apparently all Canon cameras do put "auto" in the exif if one sets the
camera on "auto" ISO, unfortunate but that's it ..
my G6 behaves the same way ..

Jer

David Arnstein wrote:
> I have a new Canon SD30 camera. I often leave its ISO setting to AUTO.
> I interpret this to mean that the camera chooses an appropriate ISO
> value for each picture shot.
>
> When I examine the resulting JPG files, the EXIF data says
> Canon ISO: Auto
>
> Ha ha. Captain obvious has spoken. But what I need is the actual,
> numeric ISO value so that I can feed it to post-processing programs
> such as Neat Image.
>
> I tried Thumbs Plus, Photoshop Elements, and ExifRead. None of these
> programs are able to obtain the true ISO value from my JPGs. Is this
> value buried somewhere in the various EXIF fields of the JPGs, or is
> it truly not reported by the camera? Thanks for any info from Canon
> wizards.

My little Canon A95 does the same thing - it's the mode the camera was
told to use for the exposure. If you manually set the ISO, the EXIF
will have the setting.

--
jer
email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Jim Townsend

imbsysop wrote:

> apparently all Canon cameras do put "auto" in the exif if one sets the
> camera on "auto" ISO, unfortunate but that's it ..
> my G6 behaves the same way ..

The Canon EOS (DSLR) digicams do put the value of the ISO that was used by
the camera in the EXIF data instead of 'auto'.

Scott in Florida

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 19:08:26 +0000 (UTC), (E-Mail Removed) (David
Arnstein) wrote:

>I have a new Canon SD30 camera. I often leave its ISO setting to AUTO.
>I interpret this to mean that the camera chooses an appropriate ISO
>value for each picture shot.
>
>When I examine the resulting JPG files, the EXIF data says
> Canon ISO: Auto
>
>Ha ha. Captain obvious has spoken. But what I need is the actual,
>numeric ISO value so that I can feed it to post-processing programs
>such as Neat Image.
>
>I tried Thumbs Plus, Photoshop Elements, and ExifRead. None of these
>programs are able to obtain the true ISO value from my JPGs. Is this
>value buried somewhere in the various EXIF fields of the JPGs, or is
>it truly not reported by the camera? Thanks for any info from Canon
>wizards.

Both my A95 and my new S2 IS do the same thing.

The S2 IS came set on 50 from the factory, and I've left it there for
most of my shots.

--

Scott in Florida

=?iso-8859-1?q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=

Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> imbsysop wrote:
>
>> apparently all Canon cameras do put "auto" in the exif if one sets the
>> camera on "auto" ISO, unfortunate but that's it ..
>> my G6 behaves the same way ..

> The Canon EOS (DSLR) digicams do put the value of the ISO that was used by
> the camera in the EXIF data instead of 'auto'.

They also do not have an 'auto' setting for ISO, at least not my 350D.

--
Måns Rullgård
(E-Mail Removed)

Jim Townsend

Måns Rullgård wrote:

> Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> imbsysop wrote:
>>
>>> apparently all Canon cameras do put "auto" in the exif if one sets the
>>> camera on "auto" ISO, unfortunate but that's it ..
>>> my G6 behaves the same way ..

>> The Canon EOS (DSLR) digicams do put the value of the ISO that was used by
>> the camera in the EXIF data instead of 'auto'.

> They also do not have an 'auto' setting for ISO, at least not my 350D.

That's true.. I never thought of that.. I was referring to the 'Auto'
exposure mode.

Dave Martindale

Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>That's true.. I never thought of that.. I was referring to the 'Auto'
>exposure mode.

On the Canon P&S digicams, a mode selector set to "Auto" also implies
auto ISO. But if you set the mode selector to "P", you have control of
ISO. One of the ISO settings is "auto", which seems to mean that the
camera will select ISO 50-100 depending on lighting conditions.

In this situation, the original poster wanted to know what actual ISO
the camera had used, but it won't tell you.

Dave

Skip M

"Måns Rullgård" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Jim Townsend <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> imbsysop wrote:
>>
>>> apparently all Canon cameras do put "auto" in the exif if one sets the
>>> camera on "auto" ISO, unfortunate but that's it ..
>>> my G6 behaves the same way ..

>> The Canon EOS (DSLR) digicams do put the value of the ISO that was used
>> by
>> the camera in the EXIF data instead of 'auto'.

> They also do not have an 'auto' setting for ISO, at least not my 350D.
>
> --
> Måns Rullgård
> (E-Mail Removed)

The infamous "green square" or Auto mode selects your ISO, which is what the
OP was referring to, I believe. The same mode on the compacts and DSLRs
behaves the same.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com