Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon Digital SLRs with IX-Nikkor Lens

Nikon Digital SLRs with IX-Nikkor Lens

stuie_norris@yahoo.com.au

Hi Group,

I have a Proena 600i APS camera that takes the IX-Nikkor Lens.

I wish to replace this with a Nikon Digital SLR.

Do the Nikon Digital SLRs take the IX-Nikkor? Any particular models to
look into?

Thanks

Stuart

Jeroen Wenting

> Do the Nikon Digital SLRs take the IX-Nikkor? Any particular models to
> look into?

No. Only their DX film cameras take IX-Nikkors, and none of those are
currently in production.

Leonard Lehew

On 13 Nov 2005 00:43:48 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>I have a Proena 600i APS camera that takes the IX-Nikkor Lens.
>
>I wish to replace this with a Nikon Digital SLR.
>
>Do the Nikon Digital SLRs take the IX-Nikkor? Any particular models to
>look into?
>
>Thanks
>
>Stuart

These lenses fit only the "Pronea" line. Do not try to mount them on a
current Nikon digital SLR. Part of the IX lens extends back into the
camera body and may damage other cameras.

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Group,
>
> I have a Proena 600i APS camera that takes the IX-Nikkor Lens.
>
> I wish to replace this with a Nikon Digital SLR.
>
> Do the Nikon Digital SLRs take the IX-Nikkor? Any particular models to
> look into?
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart

The manuals, the brochures, and the catalog all say that IX-Nikkors cannot
be used on any of the Nikon DSLRs.
Jim

Darrell

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Hi Group,
>
> I have a Proena 600i APS camera that takes the IX-Nikkor Lens.
>
> I wish to replace this with a Nikon Digital SLR.
>
> Do the Nikon Digital SLRs take the IX-Nikkor? Any particular models to
> look into?

Sorry none, this is an obsolete abandoned mount

george

"Leonard Lehew" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> These lenses fit only the "Pronea" line. Do not try to mount them on a
> current Nikon digital SLR. Part of the IX lens extends back into the
> camera body and may damage other cameras.

Which makes me wonder, do you know if a user can safely go in the OTHER
direction? That is, use a DX lens on a Pronea (if they have one)...the
coverage
would be the same...other issues? Lack of aperture ring a problem?

Paul Rubin

"george" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> Which makes me wonder, do you know if a user can safely go in the OTHER
> direction? That is, use a DX lens on a Pronea (if they have one)...the
> coverage
> would be the same...other issues? Lack of aperture ring a problem?

DX lenses fit on 35mm full frame bodies although the corners vignette.
I expect they'd work fine on the APS bodies.

JR

YES YOU CAN USE THIS LENS ON ANY Nikon DSLR....

This was said by a lens guy that tests pretty much every Nikkor lens.

"A very cheap alternative from the Nikon Pronea (APS format) era, this
petite lens can be attached to D1-series and D100 cameras as well. You
only need to cut off the rear protruding flange of the lens to avoid the
reflex mirror being jammed on these cameras. Since lens construction
basically comprise plastics and sticky tape (!), the adaptation can be
performed in a few minutes.
After some haggling, I obtained my sample for free from the
odds-and-ends bin of my photo store. I then went on to prove it could be
used on my D1X, before it ended its life when I extracted its matrix
chip for a better purpose."

So if you cut the rear flange off of your lenses, you can use then on
your Nikon DSLR...but he says they are not the best lenses and you
should probably get a new lens..the 18-70 kit lens is excellent and
inexpensive.

JR

Richard Tomkins

I am interested in what you did with the CCD you took out of the D1X?

Did you build a special imager of some kind or what?

rtt

"JR" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> YES YOU CAN USE THIS LENS ON ANY Nikon DSLR....
>

> This was said by a lens guy that tests pretty much every Nikkor lens.
>
> "A very cheap alternative from the Nikon Pronea (APS format) era, this
> petite lens can be attached to D1-series and D100 cameras as well. You
> only need to cut off the rear protruding flange of the lens to avoid the
> reflex mirror being jammed on these cameras. Since lens construction
> basically comprise plastics and sticky tape (!), the adaptation can be
> performed in a few minutes.
> After some haggling, I obtained my sample for free from the
> odds-and-ends bin of my photo store. I then went on to prove it could be
> used on my D1X, before it ended its life when I extracted its matrix
> chip for a better purpose."
>

> So if you cut the rear flange off of your lenses, you can use then on
> your Nikon DSLR...but he says they are not the best lenses and you
> should probably get a new lens..the 18-70 kit lens is excellent and
> inexpensive.
>
> JR

Paul Rubin

"Richard Tomkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
> I am interested in what you did with the CCD you took out of the D1X?
> Did you build a special imager of some kind or what?

I think "extracted the matrix chip" refers to the chip in the lens
that communicates focal length and aperture to the camera, not the CCD
in the camera itself. It's sometimes possible to transplant these
chips into manual focus lenses so that you can get matrix metering
with them on AF Nikon cameras that don't otherwise support MF lenses.