Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Verrazano-Narrows bridge

Verrazano-Narrows bridge

kashe@sonic.net

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:43:49 +0100, "freightcar"
<(E-Mail Removed).> wrote:

>> NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge

>what this means?

More meaningless feel-good **** from the throbbing brains at
DHS. Taking pictures of the water and the boats makes them feel
creepy, so they've forbidden it.

kashe@sonic.net

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 16:46:04 -0500, "Kinon O'cann"
<Yes.it's.me.Bowser> wrote:

>I believe you, but that is the stupidest God-damn thing I've ever heard of.
>I find it hard to imagine that anyone in any field of security could dupe
>themselves into believing that preventing people from taking pictures *from*
>a bridge can somehow prevent an attack by terrorists. If they are, then we
>(the USA) have employed the biggest pack of morons on the planet in our
>security and intelligence industry.

Oh cut it out -- next thing you'll be having us believe the
guys in charge are just a bunch of horse show jud ........

>"Cynicor" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> what this means?

>> Since 9/11, all the bridges have had prominent signs stating that
>> photography from the bridge is expressly forbidden. I think the idea is
>> that if you take a photo, you're a terrorist who is looking for the best
>> spot to weaken the span with a bomb. But it's perfectly OK to go to a
>> pull-off a quarter mile away and take photos of the bridge (or at least
>> there are no signs about it).

Paul J Gans

>On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 09:43:49 +0100, "freightcar"
><(E-Mail Removed).> wrote:

>>> NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge

>>what this means?
>>

> More meaningless feel-good **** from the throbbing brains at
>DHS. Taking pictures of the water and the boats makes them feel
>creepy, so they've forbidden it.

It is NOT illegal to use a cell phone while walking on a bridge.

The law is silly, useless, and only punishes those who take
pictures with cameras and not cell phones.

---- Paul J. Gans

Scotius

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:38:16 -0500, Cynicor
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge. However,
>there are no rules saying you can't photograph the bridge itself. I took
>this just off the Belt Parkway tonight, and fought off a rat between my
>tripod and my car door on the way back!
>
>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44216856
>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44220725

Anyone trained to place explosives in even the most basic way
could take one look at a bridge and know exactly where to put them,
I'm sure.
Therefore, the rules regarding not being able to take pictures
from bridges are not for the reasons they claim they are.

Peter

"Scotius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:38:16 -0500, Cynicor
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge. However,
>>there are no rules saying you can't photograph the bridge itself. I took
>>this just off the Belt Parkway tonight, and fought off a rat between my
>>tripod and my car door on the way back!
>>
>>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44216856
>>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44220725

> Anyone trained to place explosives in even the most basic way
> could take one look at a bridge and know exactly where to put them,
> I'm sure.
> Therefore, the rules regarding not being able to take pictures
> from bridges are not for the reasons they claim they are.

NYC has no rule prohibiting photos from or of bridges. The MTA has such a
rule as to their bridges, but it is rarely enforced. Also their is no MTA
bridge that has a walkway..

--
Peter

tony cooper

On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 16:59:33 -0400, Scotius <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:38:16 -0500, Cynicor
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge. However,
>>there are no rules saying you can't photograph the bridge itself. I took
>>this just off the Belt Parkway tonight, and fought off a rat between my
>>tripod and my car door on the way back!
>>
>>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44216856
>>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44220725

> Anyone trained to place explosives in even the most basic way
>could take one look at a bridge and know exactly where to put them,
>I'm sure.
> Therefore, the rules regarding not being able to take pictures
>from bridges are not for the reasons they claim they are.

I'm not of the opinion that the bad guys take pictures of bridges in
order to blow them up, but your comment is not particularly logical as
a reason a photograph would not be needed to blow up a bridge.

The bad guy explosive expert could take a photograph of the bridge in
order to provide a diagram for his underlings to use as a map in
placing the charges. The guys actually placing the charges may not be
explosives experts.

If I'm running a terrorist group, I'm not sending my explosive expert
out on the bridge. I'm going send more expendable troops out with
just enough training to know how, but not necessarily where, to place
the charges.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida

Robert Coe

: <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: >NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge. However,
: >there are no rules saying you can't photograph the bridge itself. I took
: >this just off the Belt Parkway tonight, and fought off a rat between my
: >tripod and my car door on the way back!
: >
: >http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44216856
: >http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44220725
:
: Anyone trained to place explosives in even the most basic way
: could take one look at a bridge and know exactly where to put them,
: I'm sure.
: Therefore, the rules regarding not being able to take pictures
: from bridges are not for the reasons they claim they are.

Of course they're not. Undoubtedly they're so that the photographer can't show
the public how poorly the bridges are maintained.

Bob

Robert Coe

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:09:03 -0400, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
: "Scotius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:38:16 -0500, Cynicor
: > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: >
: >>NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge. However,
: >>there are no rules saying you can't photograph the bridge itself. I took
: >>this just off the Belt Parkway tonight, and fought off a rat between my
: >>tripod and my car door on the way back!
: >>
: >>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44216856
: >>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44220725
: >
: > Anyone trained to place explosives in even the most basic way
: > could take one look at a bridge and know exactly where to put them,
: > I'm sure.
: > Therefore, the rules regarding not being able to take pictures
: > from bridges are not for the reasons they claim they are.
:
:
: NYC has no rule prohibiting photos from or of bridges. The MTA has such a
: rule as to their bridges, but it is rarely enforced. Also their is no MTA
: bridge that has a walkway..

How do you account for the prohibition of photography on the George Washington
Bridge?

My wife is afraid to drive on the bridge, so we have an understood division of
labor: I drive, and she takes the obligatory pictures of the "no photography"
signs. ;^)

Bob

Peter

"Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:09:03 -0400, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : "Scotius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:38:16 -0500, Cynicor
> : > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : >
> : >>NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge. However,
> : >>there are no rules saying you can't photograph the bridge itself. I
> took
> : >>this just off the Belt Parkway tonight, and fought off a rat between
> my
> : >>tripod and my car door on the way back!
> : >>
> : >>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44216856
> : >>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44220725
> : >
> : > Anyone trained to place explosives in even the most basic way
> : > could take one look at a bridge and know exactly where to put them,
> : > I'm sure.
> : > Therefore, the rules regarding not being able to take pictures
> : > from bridges are not for the reasons they claim they are.
> :
> :
> : NYC has no rule prohibiting photos from or of bridges. The MTA has such
> : rule as to their bridges, but it is rarely enforced. Also their is no
> MTA
> : bridge that has a walkway..
>
> How do you account for the prohibition of photography on the George
> Washington
> Bridge?
>
> My wife is afraid to drive on the bridge, so we have an understood
> division of
> labor: I drive, and she takes the obligatory pictures of the "no
> photography"
> signs. ;^)

It is not a NYC bridge. It comes under the jurisdiction of the Port
Authority. Although they have lots of no photography signs, the rule is not
usually enforced. Also taking pictures of the bridge itself is not
prohibited., but may be restricted. the non-stated reason is revenue
generation.

http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/media-access.html

Correction:
In my prior message I typed referred to "MTA." I should have stated that
Photography is not addressed directly in the regulations, however signs are
posted that prohibit photography. (You figure that one out.)

Any inconvenience that may have been caused by this error is deeply
regretted.

--
Peter

Peter

news:4c5c9c73$0$5492$(E-Mail Removed)-secrets.com...
> "Robert Coe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 17:09:03 -0400, "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> wrote:
>> : "Scotius" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> : > On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 22:38:16 -0500, Cynicor
>> : > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> : >
>> : >>NYC has rules now that you can't photograph from a bridge. However,
>> : >>there are no rules saying you can't photograph the bridge itself. I
>> took
>> : >>this just off the Belt Parkway tonight, and fought off a rat between
>> my
>> : >>tripod and my car door on the way back!
>> : >>
>> : >>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44216856
>> : >>http://trupin.smugmug.com/gallery/954699/1/44220725
>> : >
>> : > Anyone trained to place explosives in even the most basic way
>> : > could take one look at a bridge and know exactly where to put them,
>> : > I'm sure.
>> : > Therefore, the rules regarding not being able to take pictures
>> : > from bridges are not for the reasons they claim they are.
>> :
>> :
>> : NYC has no rule prohibiting photos from or of bridges. The MTA has such
>> : rule as to their bridges, but it is rarely enforced. Also their is no
>> MTA
>> : bridge that has a walkway..
>>
>> How do you account for the prohibition of photography on the George
>> Washington
>> Bridge?
>>
>> My wife is afraid to drive on the bridge, so we have an understood
>> division of
>> labor: I drive, and she takes the obligatory pictures of the "no
>> photography"
>> signs. ;^)

> It is not a NYC bridge. It comes under the jurisdiction of the Port
> Authority. Although they have lots of no photography signs, the rule is
> not usually enforced. Also taking pictures of the bridge itself is not
> prohibited., but may be restricted. the non-stated reason is revenue
> generation.
>
> http://www.panynj.gov/press-room/media-access.html
>
> Correction:
> In my prior message I typed referred to "MTA." I should have stated that
> Photography is not addressed directly in the regulations, however signs
> are posted that prohibit photography. (You figure that one out.)
>
> Any inconvenience that may have been caused by this error is deeply
> regretted.

I also left off this link, which summarizes the rule in NYC
http://www.nycphotorights.com/laws/

--
Peter