Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Help, please - printing tools ?

Help, please - printing tools ?

Amamba

Hi,

I am looking for a freeware that would allow me to select 3 files to
print, designate them as 4 x 6 prints, lay them out to fit on a 8.5 x
11 sheet, and control the amount of crop. Windows XP does the first two
but doesn't allow to control the amount of crop. I use Gimp to edit
pics, but didn't find an easy way to print them from Gimp. I do have MS
Publisher, but it's a PITA to have to import & resize files every time.
Thanks !

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 12 Nov 2005 13:17:59 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Amamba"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am looking for a freeware that would allow me to select 3 files to
>print, designate them as 4 x 6 prints, lay them out to fit on a 8.5 x
>11 sheet, and control the amount of crop. Windows XP does the first two
>but doesn't allow to control the amount of crop. I use Gimp to edit
>pics, but didn't find an easy way to print them from Gimp. I do have MS
>Publisher, but it's a PITA to have to import & resize files every time.
>Thanks !

Not free but Qimage and now Qimage Lite are great printing apps. I'm just a
long tim satisfied Qimage user.
http://www.ddisoftware.com/qimage
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Bob Williams

Amamba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a freeware that would allow me to select 3 files to
> print, designate them as 4 x 6 prints, lay them out to fit on a 8.5 x
> 11 sheet, and control the amount of crop. Windows XP does the first two
> but doesn't allow to control the amount of crop. I use Gimp to edit
> pics, but didn't find an easy way to print them from Gimp. I do have MS
> Publisher, but it's a PITA to have to import & resize files every time.
> Thanks !

Try http://www.irfanview.com
I've not used it myself but it is very popular with members of this NG.
It is considered very powerful, so I suspect it can handle a basic task
like you described.
Bob Williams

Marvin

Amamba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a freeware that would allow me to select 3 files to
> print, designate them as 4 x 6 prints, lay them out to fit on a 8.5 x
> 11 sheet, and control the amount of crop. Windows XP does the first two
> but doesn't allow to control the amount of crop. I use Gimp to edit
> pics, but didn't find an easy way to print them from Gimp. I do have MS
> Publisher, but it's a PITA to have to import & resize files every time.
> Thanks !

Kodak Easy Share is free and does this job. Get it from kodak.com.

Amamba

Thanks, I tried Kodak. However, it only allows (2) 4 x 6 pictures on a
sheet of paper, and Win XP lets to fit (3).