Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > RAW file sizes

RAW file sizes

David Dyer-Bennet

"Conrad" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Interesting comparison of RAW file sizes from my 8 megapixel Canon
> 350XT (10+ MB at full resolution) and my 6 megapixel Fuji S7000 (12+ MB
> at full resolution). The latter is not using Fuji's proprietary
> doubling to 12 megapixels.
> Apparently, the smaller sensor Fuji is yielding more information than
> the larger sensor size Canon.

Or storing it less efficiently.

My 6MP Fuji S2 pro produces 12MB raw files also, but they compress to
less than 5MB when converted to Adobe DNG, and that should be a
lossless conversion from a Fuji RAW file.