Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (forpostage stamps)

closest macro-focusing ability oo OLD or new digital cameras? (forpostage stamps)

dave

need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600
(or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>

anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with
that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the
ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus
(for this need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good
focus at about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
subject...

alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
digital cameras, both old AND new....

wide open for suggestions, and thanks

toolie

--
if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
before you click send. thanks

Frank ess

dave wrote:
> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
> images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x
> 600
> (or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel
> size' files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be
> suitable <?>
> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras
> by their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera
> with that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra
> lenses...also, the ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only'
> would be a big plus (for this need). I suppose that means I'd need
> have the lens in good focus at about have the lens in focus at about
> a single -inch- from the subject...
>
> alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
> digital cameras, both old AND new....
>
> wide open for suggestions, and thanks

Look into the close-focus capabikityies of Nikon CoolPix 990 and 995.
They make high-quality images and may suit your purpose, if you can't
get your flat-bed scanner to do the job.

--
Frank ess

Jim

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making images
> "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600 (or that's
> the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size' files aren't
> needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
>
> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
> their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with that
> ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the ability
> to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus (for this
> need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good focus at
> about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the subject...
>
> alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
> digital cameras, both old AND new....
>
> wide open for suggestions, and thanks
>
> toolie
>
> --
> if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
> before you click send. thanks
> --

If I had need to do this, I would mount my 105mm f2.8 macro lens on my D70.
I would focus as close as I could. Then, back at the computer, I would crop
away all of the extraneous material.
As I already own both lens and camera, the only incremental cost to me would
be a copy stand if I felt need for it. Before buying a copy stand, I would
try scanning the stamp on my flatbed scanner.
Jim

Sheldon

I had an older Sony Mavica that would easily get down to postage stamp size.

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making images
> "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600 (or that's
> the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size' files aren't
> needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
>
> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
> their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with that
> ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the ability
> to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus (for this
> need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good focus at
> about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the subject...
>
> alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
> digital cameras, both old AND new....
>
> wide open for suggestions, and thanks
>
> toolie
>
> --
> if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
> before you click send. thanks

Bob

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:40:01 -0500, dave <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
>images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600
>(or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
>files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
>
>anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
>their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with
>that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the
>ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus
>(for this need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good
>focus at about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
>subject...
>
>alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
>digital cameras, both old AND new....
>
>wide open for suggestions, and thanks
>
>toolie

An older Canon MiniDV video camera with a mem card would probably be good - the
pics are perfect and you can get real close! Probably find one for a hundred
bucks used...

WannabeSomeone

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making images
> "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600 (or that's
> the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size' files aren't
> needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
>
> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
> their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with that
> ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the ability
> to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus (for this
> need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good focus at
> about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the subject...
>
> alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
> digital cameras, both old AND new....
>
> wide open for suggestions, and thanks
>
> toolie
>
> --
> if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
> before you click send. thanks

My brand new Fuji FinePix S9000 can do super macro mode as close as 1 cm. 9
mega pixel.

I have owned it for a week. I love it. It accepts good old cable release,
and external flash sync connections.

Best Regards,

Wannabe
=======

Ron Hunter

dave wrote:
> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making
> images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600
> (or that's the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
> files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
>
> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
> their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd prefer a camera with
> that ability "built in" withOUT having to buy extra lenses...also, the
> ability to have a 'fixed' or 'manual focus only' would be a big plus
> (for this need). I suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good
> focus at about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
> subject...
>
> alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close focusing'
> digital cameras, both old AND new....
>
> wide open for suggestions, and thanks
>
> toolie
>
> --
> if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail address
> before you click send. thanks
> --

The closeup range is listed in the specifications, but you may have
problems finding comparison sites that isolate this feature. There are
many cameras that will allow ranges down to 1/2 inch, or less. Just
check the specs.

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Dave W

"dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be making images
> "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either at 800 x 600 (or that's
> the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size' files aren't
> needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be suitable <?>
> snipped <

If this truly is going to be 'sole use', then, as Frank ess implies, the
best solution is a flat bed scanner. Cheaper than the camera you will need,
and up to the job at it's higher resolutions.

Dave W.

Fred Williams

On $DATE , WannabeSomeone wrote:

> "dave" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> need digital camera, new OR used. its -sole- purpose will be
>> making images "for the web" of individual postage stamps, either
>> at 800 x 600 (or that's
>> the size they'll be 'reduced to', anyway). 'huge pixel size'
>> files aren't needed, so maybe an older digi-cam would be
>> suitable <?>
>>
>> anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital
>> cameras by their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities? I'd
>> prefer a camera with that ability "built in" withOUT having to
>> buy extra lenses...also, the ability to have a 'fixed' or
>> 'manual focus only' would be a big plus (for this need). I
>> suppose that means I'd need to have the lens in good focus at
>> about have the lens in focus at about a single -inch- from the
>> subject...
>>
>> alternately, would be very pleased to hear of 'known close
>> focusing' digital cameras, both old AND new....
>>
>> wide open for suggestions, and thanks
>>
>> toolie
>>
>> --
>> if reply by e-mail, pls remove the weirdstuff from my e-mail
>> address before you click send. thanks

> My brand new Fuji FinePix S9000 can do super macro mode as close
> as 1 cm. 9 mega pixel.
>
> I have owned it for a week. I love it. It accepts good old cable
> release, and external flash sync connections.

YEAH! YEAH! I get mine today!!!! Can't wait!!!

--
Regards,
Fred.

Bob Anderson

wrote:

>anybody know of any sites offer an ability to 'sort' digital cameras by
>their 'extreme close focus' macro abilities?

Canon Powershot S2 IS.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons2is/page5.asp

Super Macro mode
If its normal macro mode is nothing to write home about, the S2 IS has
a rather unique trick up its sleeve - a 'super macro mode' that allows
you to focus down to an unprecedented 0cm from the front element. Yes,
that's right, this is the first compact we've ever seen that can
actually focus on dirt on the front of the lens! Of course there
aren't many things you can actually photograph from 0cm - they either
need to be lit from behind (you can use the S2 IS to shoot 35mm slides
(example) if you don't mind the cropping, distortion and corner
softness!) or small enough that they don't fill the frame. In most
cases the shadow of the lens obscures your subject so much that you
can't use it at distances of less than a few centimetres, at which
point the subect area you're photographing is around 40mm across -
roughly the same as most of its competitors (such as the Panasonic
FZ5), but with the ever-present danger that you'll move so close that
you end up causing permanent damage to the front element of the lens.
Still, it's fun to play with and does allow you to take some unique
photographs.

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon