Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Looking for Inexpensive Remote for Canon 20D

Looking for Inexpensive Remote for Canon 20D

pooua@aol.com

I am looking for a wireless remote control for the Canon 20D, but what
I have found so far cost more than $100, and hardly anyone sells
wireless remotes. This seems ridiculous to me, because my old Olympus
C-3040 had a sufficient IR remote that came with the camera and could
not have cost more $10 to manufacture. All I really need is some way to
snap the shutter on my signal when I am 20 feet away. Any suggestions?

Charles

On 8 Nov 2005 19:36:57 -0800, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I am looking for a wireless remote control for the Canon 20D, but what
>I have found so far cost more than $100, and hardly anyone sells
>wireless remotes. This seems ridiculous to me, because my old Olympus
>C-3040 had a sufficient IR remote that came with the camera and could
>not have cost more $10 to manufacture. All I really need is some way to
>snap the shutter on my signal when I am 20 feet away. Any suggestions?

Does the 20D support the same electrical release that the rebel and xt
do? If so, get one of those, or make one, and get an extention cable
from Radio shack. It won't be wireless but it will work.

railfan

Charles wrote:
> On 8 Nov 2005 19:36:57 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> Does the 20D support the same electrical release that the rebel and xt
> do? If so, get one of those, or make one, and get an extention cable
> from Radio shack. It won't be wireless but it will work.

Another cheapo idea for a wired remote that works on the Rebel and
Rebel XT - pick up a "hands free" kit for a cellphone. The type that
comes with an ear bud, an inline microphone, an inline on-off switch,
and a mini stereo plug at the far end. Cut off the wire going to the
ear bud and microphone, just leaving the on-off switch, a length of
wire and the mini plug. This plug fits into the socket of the cameras
and works as a wired remote.

Of course its only about a foot long, but extension cords for portable
CD player headphones and the like should be able to extend the
difference. I haven't tried the extension with my Rebels, but the
basic cord and switch does work. Best of all the hands free set was
picked up at a local dollar store!

Bob Boudreau
Canada

Arnold

Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control? When would
you use it?

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I am looking for a wireless remote control for the Canon 20D, but what
> I have found so far cost more than $100, and hardly anyone sells
> wireless remotes. This seems ridiculous to me, because my old Olympus
> C-3040 had a sufficient IR remote that came with the camera and could
> not have cost more $10 to manufacture. All I really need is some way to
> snap the shutter on my signal when I am 20 feet away. Any suggestions?

Anabella M.

Sorry Bob, nice idea, I tried it already and it doesn't work because the
plug, like you said, is a mini-stereo-plug, and the jack on the 20D is a
proprietary N3 socket which Canon is the sole manufacturer. The N3
connector cannot be sourced anywhere that I know of and I've searched
long and large all my electronics parts suppliers.

However, it does work really great for those older cameras that have the
mini-plug socket, such as the older EOS.

Regards, Anabella M.

--
Anabella M.

.....it's better to have loved and lost
than to have never seen "Lost in Space"!
--Kelly Bundy

Mike Warren

Arnold wrote:
> Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control?
> When would you use it?

I've got one for my D70s. It's really handy if you want to be in the
picture and don't want to stand around for 10 seconds waiting for
the timer.

--
Mike Warren
My web gallery: http://web.aanet.com.au/miwa/mike

pooua@aol.com

Mike Warren wrote:
> Arnold wrote:
> > Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control?
> > When would you use it?

> I've got one for my D70s. It's really handy if you want to be in the
> picture and don't want to stand around for 10 seconds waiting for
> the timer.

What he said.

>From time-to-time, I like to take pictures of myself. Maybe I'm posing

next to something, or pointing out something, or maybe I just want to
take my picture (one of my favorite effects is to take a series of
shots with the camera locked down while I pose all over the image
field). Sometimes, I even manage to get a group of people together, and
I want to take my picture with them. There isn't always someone else
around to push the button.

pooua@aol.com

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Mike Warren wrote:
> > Arnold wrote:
> > > Just out of interest, why do you want a wireless remote control?
> > > When would you use it?

> > I've got one for my D70s. It's really handy if you want to be in the
> > picture and don't want to stand around for 10 seconds waiting for
> > the timer.

> What he said.
>
> >From time-to-time, I like to take pictures of myself. Maybe I'm posing

> next to something, or pointing out something, or maybe I just want to
> take my picture (one of my favorite effects is to take a series of
> shots with the camera locked down while I pose all over the image
> field). Sometimes, I even manage to get a group of people together, and
> I want to take my picture with them. There isn't always someone else
> around to push the button.

Oh, yes, I also use the remote when I am busy with something else and I
can't reach my camera, or I don't want to introduce camera shake.

For example, I like to take photos while I am driving. I like it even
more when I can keep both hands on my vehicle's controls. A remote is
handy for triggering my (tripod-mounted) camera without having to
fumble with it.

I also like to take night shots. It is recommended by the manufacturer
that night shots be triggered by a remote control. In Canon's case,
this means using a cable remote. But, a wireless remote would work
well, too.

Arnold

Surely the Canon timer remote does all this?

news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...