Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Can netwrok run static route and dynamic route the same time?

Can netwrok run static route and dynamic route the same time?

Bruce Cao

+----
RouterD1 (eigrp)
Internet--------RourterA ---RouterB---------RouterC--------- RouterD2
(eigrp)
(eigrp) (static) (static )
+-----RouterD3 (eigrp)

In this scenario, we had already setup all the routers to run Eigrp.
but now, betweenB and C, we have to use the static route, so here's the
question, is that possbile to set the static route in the RouterB and
RouterC and let rest routers still are still running Eigrp? especillay
in RouterD1/D2/D3?

if we can still keep the Eigrp running, then what should we do in the
routerB/C, or should we need to change the route in the RouterD1/D2/D3?

any help wil appriciate.

Scott Tetter

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"Bruce Cao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> +----
> RouterD1 (eigrp)
> Internet--------RourterA ---RouterB---------RouterC--------- RouterD2
> (eigrp)
> (eigrp) (static) (static )
> +-----RouterD3 (eigrp)
>

> In this scenario, we had already setup all the routers to run Eigrp.
> but now, betweenB and C, we have to use the static route, so here's the
> question, is that possbile to set the static route in the RouterB and
> RouterC and let rest routers still are still running Eigrp? especillay
> in RouterD1/D2/D3?

Yes. You can run as many routing mechanisms as you wish. Each routing
mechanism is assigned an administrative distance, so that if multiple
mechanisms have routes to the same destination it will know which one is
preferred.

> if we can still keep the Eigrp running, then what should we do in the
> routerB/C, or should we need to change the route in the RouterD1/D2/D3?

If you put "redistribute static" in B and C's EIGRP configuration, the
static routes will be advertised to all the EIGRP neighbors.

--
Barry Margolin, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Arlington, MA

Bruce Cao

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> "Bruce Cao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > +----
> > RouterD1 (eigrp)
> > Internet--------RourterA ---RouterB---------RouterC--------- RouterD2
> > (eigrp)
> > (eigrp) (static) (static )
> > +-----RouterD3 (eigrp)
> >

> > In this scenario, we had already setup all the routers to run Eigrp.
> > but now, betweenB and C, we have to use the static route, so here's the
> > question, is that possbile to set the static route in the RouterB and
> > RouterC and let rest routers still are still running Eigrp? especillay
> > in RouterD1/D2/D3?

> Yes. You can run as many routing mechanisms as you wish. Each routing
> mechanism is assigned an administrative distance, so that if multiple
> mechanisms have routes to the same destination it will know which one is
> preferred.
>
> > if we can still keep the Eigrp running, then what should we do in the
> > routerB/C, or should we need to change the route in the RouterD1/D2/D3?

> If you put "redistribute static" in B and C's EIGRP configuration, the
> static routes will be advertised to all the EIGRP neighbors.
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)

-----------------------

but I wonder if 'redistribute is used, then could RouterD1/D2/D3 use
the same AS as router A?

A consultant told me the Eigrp will termiate in the Router B and Router
C since 2 routers run the static routing, so router A and router Ds
will run within different AS, or even they are with same AS, but these
routers cannot learn the routing table from each others. is that right?

thanks for your help.

Bruce

> Arlington, MA

Barry Margolin

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>,
"Bruce Cao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> > "Bruce Cao" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > > +----
> > > RouterD1 (eigrp)
> > > Internet--------RourterA ---RouterB---------RouterC--------- RouterD2
> > > (eigrp)
> > > (eigrp) (static) (static )
> > > +-----RouterD3 (eigrp)
> > >

> > > In this scenario, we had already setup all the routers to run Eigrp.
> > > but now, betweenB and C, we have to use the static route, so here's the
> > > question, is that possbile to set the static route in the RouterB and
> > > RouterC and let rest routers still are still running Eigrp? especillay
> > > in RouterD1/D2/D3?

> > Yes. You can run as many routing mechanisms as you wish. Each routing
> > mechanism is assigned an administrative distance, so that if multiple
> > mechanisms have routes to the same destination it will know which one is
> > preferred.
> >
> > > if we can still keep the Eigrp running, then what should we do in the
> > > routerB/C, or should we need to change the route in the RouterD1/D2/D3?

> > If you put "redistribute static" in B and C's EIGRP configuration, the
> > static routes will be advertised to all the EIGRP neighbors.
> >
> > --
> > Barry Margolin, (E-Mail Removed)

> -----------------------
>

> but I wonder if 'redistribute is used, then could RouterD1/D2/D3 use
> the same AS as router A?
>
> A consultant told me the Eigrp will termiate in the Router B and Router
> C since 2 routers run the static routing, so router A and router Ds
> will run within different AS, or even they are with same AS, but these
> routers cannot learn the routing table from each others. is that right?

It doesn't really matter. AS numbers in EIGRP are only relevant when
there's some overlap between the routers in the two ASes, so that those
routers can configure the appropriate settings for each group. Since
the two ASes are disjoint, the AS numbers can be arbitrary, and it
doesn't matter if they're the same or not.