Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > a couple of autumn pictures

a couple of autumn pictures

name

Hello there.

Here are a couple of pictures I made this autumn:

http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1

Which one do you like best and why?

Comments, criticism or suggestions would be appreciated.

greetings, Niek

JimmyG

Neither show any semblance of fall color nor do they have any compositional
quality worth mentioning. Study, study, study.

Derek Fountain

> Here are a couple of pictures I made this autumn:
>
> http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
> http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
>
> Which one do you like best and why?

Neither.

> Comments, criticism or suggestions would be appreciated.

They're dull (as in uninteresting). On the bright side, they're sharp.

Here's a question for you: what are these photos of? This is not a
rhetorical question. Tell me what you think you've photographed, and why
it's interesting or appealing to you.

Stacey

name wrote:

> Hello there.
>
> Here are a couple of pictures I made this autumn:
>

> Comments, criticism or suggestions would be appreciated.

My eye wanders around the image looking for the subject or something
interesting... There is none.

Try shooting B&W for a while and see if you can get something interesting.
It's a great way to figure out if your images are boring or not.
--

Stacey

name

name wrote:
> Hello there.
>
> Here are a couple of pictures I made this autumn:
>
> http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
> http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
>

> Which one do you like best and why?
>
> Comments, criticism or suggestions would be appreciated.
>
> greetings, Niek

Thanks for all the constructive criticism so far.
I see I used the wrong links to refer to these pictures, so here are
the correct links:

http://images.fotopic.net/ydsbz0.jpg
http://images.fotopic.net/ydsbrj.jpg

JimmyG

You should quit while you're ahead.

Try making a panorama out of them by cropping out as much of the blue as
possible (Sky AND water).

name

Derek Fountain wrote:
> > Here are a couple of pictures I made this autumn:
> >
> > http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
> > http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
> >
> > Which one do you like best and why?

> Neither.
>
> > Comments, criticism or suggestions would be appreciated.

> They're dull (as in uninteresting). On the bright side, they're sharp.
>
> Here's a question for you: what are these photos of? This is not a
> rhetorical question. Tell me what you think you've photographed, and why
> it's interesting or appealing to you.

Just photos of a little lake (a section of it).
I like the pictures because they give an impression of the nice
atmosphere there (in my opinion).
I agree though there are not a lot of autumn colors in the picture.

Frank ess

name wrote:
> Derek Fountain wrote:
>>> Here are a couple of pictures I made this autumn:
>>>
>>> http://images5.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
>>> http://images4.fotopic.net/?iid=ydsb...ze=1&nostamp=1
>>>
>>> Which one do you like best and why?

>> Neither.
>>
>>> Comments, criticism or suggestions would be appreciated.

>> They're dull (as in uninteresting). On the bright side, they're
>> sharp.
>>
>> Here's a question for you: what are these photos of? This is not a
>> rhetorical question. Tell me what you think you've photographed,
>> and
>> why it's interesting or appealing to you.

> Just photos of a little lake (a section of it).
> I like the pictures because they give an impression of the nice
> atmosphere there (in my opinion).
> I agree though there are not a lot of autumn colors in the picture.

I kind of agree with Derek Fountain, to this extent: while similar
views have been captured and displayed innumerable times, often to
good or excellent effect, these are not among the better ones.

Consider no fewer than three aspects of photography:
TECHNICAL - sharp, balanced masses, realistic color/tone
REPRESENTATIONAL - records the objects and relationships before the
camera
INTERPRETIVE - how the image interacts with the viewer's physical and
historical characteristics

"Name" has done a decent job of placing the first two within view; two
further considerations limit their appeal in the third 'dimension':

LUCK - or patience, or karma...
DISCRETION - or judgement, or 'eye'

Unfortunately, the potential for a striking photo of clouds reflected
in a pond's surface was not fulfilled: too few clouds, and of the
wrong shape, and the pond was neither still enough nor contrasty
enough.

"name' shows courage and good cheer in exposing these images. His
'eye' told him there was something there and that it was not quite
what he'd hoped. In fact, there is more there for 'name' because
'name' was there and stored information in 'name's' self that is not
available to the rest of us.

Discretion or judgement would tell a photographer which such storages
can be counted on to be more universally distributed in a viewing
audience (viewdience?), and if the appropriate cues are present in
images. A matter of anticipating resonances, and producing the mallet.
And recognizing the absence of bell-ringers in images, the better to
select them for non-distribution.

--
Frank ess
"One time, I got up the next morning and looked in the mirror

none

On Sat, 05 Nov 2005 06:34:39 -0800, name wrote:
> http://images.fotopic.net/ydsbz0.jpg

I like the idea of the one endangered/dying tree struggling against the
background of a forest of overwhelming size and domination. Sadly, I don't
know that the photo really really does a good job of presenting it.

-Mike

Derek Fountain

> Just photos of a little lake (a section of it).

Yep, that's about right. )

> I like the pictures because they give an impression of the nice
> atmosphere there (in my opinion).

No, I don't think they do. It's just a line of trees. There's no
particularly striking colour, or symmetry in the reflections. They're
taken at the wrong time of day to produce any atmosphere (try sunrise or
sunset). A polarising filter would help deepen the colours of the trees
and sky, if that were the aim. I think the major problem is that, as
Stacey pointed out, there's nothing for the eye to fix on.

Also, the smaller versions are soft - make sure sharpening is the last
step in your process, after resizing.

Some tips: try looking for something to frame the shot - perhaps some
overhanging braches on your side of the water? Look for a old log or
something which can be placed in the foreground to draw the eye into
the shot. A bird or something on the water would also help the eye fix
into the shot.