Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Fuji S1 pricing vs value question: $500 Nikon SLR?

Fuji S1 pricing vs value question: $500 Nikon SLR?

siralbabin@aol.com

Hello,
I've been looking at used lenses and camera bodys at local shops and
have seen a few interesting items which I'd like to supplement my
current Nikon 35mm equipment with.
One dealer has a Fuji S1 SLR with asst software, AC adaptor, manuals,
etc in very nice condition. Asking price is around $500 which seems a
bit pricey after looking on Ebay. The advantage of shopping locally is
I can actually see what I'm paying for and the shopkeeper is very
enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the camera and the Fuji film-like
color characteristics it renders.
This body is based on the older Nikon N60 so has some limitations which
could certainly be worked around.
I understand that the newer Fuji S2 was/is plagued with CCD and other
problems but have read little negative (except complaints about
multiple battery system, cheap N60 body build and minimum 320 ISO
speed) commentary.
I can't really afford a modern Nikon 50 or 70 D or a possible S1
doorstop now but want a Nikon-mount D-SLR now. Apparently this S1 is
only a few years old and seems to work very well.
Please, any constructive help, pro and con is welcome.
I'd like to finalize a deal on this body soon but could use a push
either way.
Thanks,
Al

photo35744

If you can buy the Fuji S1 for $500.00 then do so. Mine cost almost
$2,000.00 when I brought it new about 3 years ago.
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hello,
> I've been looking at used lenses and camera bodys at local shops and
> have seen a few interesting items which I'd like to supplement my
> current Nikon 35mm equipment with.
> One dealer has a Fuji S1 SLR with asst software, AC adaptor, manuals,
> etc in very nice condition. Asking price is around $500 which seems a
> bit pricey after looking on Ebay. The advantage of shopping locally is
> I can actually see what I'm paying for and the shopkeeper is very
> enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the camera and the Fuji film-like
> color characteristics it renders.
> This body is based on the older Nikon N60 so has some limitations which
> could certainly be worked around.
> I understand that the newer Fuji S2 was/is plagued with CCD and other
> problems but have read little negative (except complaints about
> multiple battery system, cheap N60 body build and minimum 320 ISO
> speed) commentary.
> I can't really afford a modern Nikon 50 or 70 D or a possible S1
> doorstop now but want a Nikon-mount D-SLR now. Apparently this S1 is
> only a few years old and seems to work very well.
> Please, any constructive help, pro and con is welcome.
> I'd like to finalize a deal on this body soon but could use a push
> either way.
> Thanks,
> Al

[BnH]

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ps.com...
> Hello,
> I've been looking at used lenses and camera bodys at local shops and
> have seen a few interesting items which I'd like to supplement my
> current Nikon 35mm equipment with.
> One dealer has a Fuji S1 SLR with asst software, AC adaptor, manuals,
> etc in very nice condition. Asking price is around $500 which seems a
> bit pricey after looking on Ebay.

<-- if the guy is trying to sell you the S1 for $500 [ I assume in USD ? ]
wait a while and just get the D50.
S1 Pro at that price is prone for headache later, esp they can't use G lens
or was it AF-S lens ... can't remember.

Albert Ma

the S1 has beautiful colors. and it's a simple camera...with quite a bundle
of limitations, and it's quite noisy, can't interface with many newer
flashes completely--although it works with older flashes like SB-20, SB-24
for full TTL. works with G lenses, but does not AF with AF-S lenses,
although it meters with them.

but it's simple, and you figure it out pretty much without too many
headaches. And it's not necessary to recharge batteries; you can carry a
bunch of these AA and CR123...

But the color says it all. see this:

http://home.comcast.net/~ctalbertma/DSCF3199.JPG

no post processing at all...image just out of the S1.