Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Dust on sensor?

Dust on sensor?

phk

I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

tbm

hi,
yes dust is a problem for most if not all dslr's.i have been told one of the best ways of cleaning one's sensor is with pec pads and
eclipse fluid.stubborn dust will not shift with a blower brush.rgds to all from TBM...

Bob Salomon

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
"phk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
> with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.
>
> Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
> appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
> removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
> tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
> simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
> get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

The Giotto's Rocket Blaster safely removes dust from sensors. It has a
very strong stream of air. More importantly the one-way valve at the
bottom of the rocket only lets air in from the bottom so dust blown away
by the nozzle can not re-enter the nozzle so only clean air comes out.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.

SimonLW

I had the dReble for 2 years. I am careful about changing lenses in
dusty/windy environments. I never had to clean my sensor yet.

Get the large sized blower brush and remove the brush head. The smaller ones
are too weak.

The sensor has a glass cover over it with an AR coating. The dust gets on
this. Be careful not to scratch when cleaning - if the blower don't clear
the dust, that is.

Olympus has a ultra-sonic dust removal system on their DSLRs. I can't
comment on the effectiveness.
-S

"phk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
> with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.
>
> Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
> appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
> removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
> tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
> simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
> get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

Dust is a big concern with digital SLR's but after reading the procedure for
properly cleaning them at http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/15473243 I
am less concerned about getting dust on the sensor. This page describes a
very thorough way to clean the CCD without doing any damage. The bulbs that
blow air around don't seem like a good solution to me for several reasons as
this web page states. It is worth a read for sure.

Chris

"phk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
> with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.
>
> Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
> appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
> removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
> tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
> simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
> get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

Bill Hilton

>phk writes ...
>
>I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems

with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.

I would call it a nuisance but definitely not a reason to avoid
switching to a dSLR ... I usually don't see it and when I do see it it
typically takes 30 seconds or so to clone the specs out of the image in
Photoshop.

>Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems

The smaller sensor models (1.5x, 1.6x) don't show as many problems, I
found I had to clean a 10D every 3 - 5 months for example (1.6x). The
larger sensor models seem to attract more dust and require more
frequent cleaning though. My 1Ds needs it typically once a week,
sometimes more often if in a dusty environment.

You only see the dust specs at small apertures, btw.

>It appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for
>dust removal, but I wonder whether that actually works.

I've used the Giotto Rocket Blower that Bob recommends in another post
to this thread and it didn't get all the dust off for me. I've used
the Sensor Brush and this usually gets everything off unless there's a
smear. If there's a smear I use a Pec Pad with Eclipse fluid, but this
is rare. After a while you get used to doing it and it's no more scary
than cleaning the front of your lens.

The Oly 4/3 bodies have a better way of cleaning the dust, done when
you turn the camera on, but there are a couple of other long-term
issues with this system that keep sales low and would keep me from
buying into the system. But if you're really paranoid about dust this
may be the best system for you.

Bill

Jim Townsend

phk wrote:

> I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
> with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.
>
> Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems.

Dust on DSLR sensors is a non-issue. Cleaning a sensor isn't some sort
of black art. You don't have to spend a year training under the watchful
eyes of a master sensor cleaner. It's not hard at all.

Just blow off the sensor with a bulb blower or wipe it off with one of
the many commercially available brushes or swabs designed for the
purpose. There are millions of people who have been doing this on a
regular basis for years.

Here's a good article on all aspects of sensor cleaning:

http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/

Chris Brown

phk <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
>with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.
>
>Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
>appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
>removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
>tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
>simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
>get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

IME (I've owned 4 DSLRs), dust isn't that big a deal. If you shoot a lot
with the lens stopped roght down (e.g. macro), it can be a pain, but it's
generally not visible with the aperture wider than f/16.

A blower doesn't tend to get the dust off. I've found that pec pads, with a
drop of Eclipse cleaning solution (methanol), wrapped round the end of a
suitable shaft, such as a cotton-wool bud, with the camera on a tripod can
make short work of all dust, but you don't need to do it often. I owned an
EOS 10D for a couple of years and cleaned the sensor precisely once.

Occasionally you'll get something that's visible at f/8, or so. These are
more of a pain, but unlike the smaller stuff these do tend to succumb to
being blown off, and you can generally see them with the naked-eye as well,
if you look at the sensor (remember the image is rotated 180 degrees, so the
bottom-left of the image is the top-right of the sensor).

Joseph Meehan

phk wrote:
> I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential
> problems with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.
>
> Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems.

Yes to both.

It is a problem IF you get dust on the sensor. If you are working in
certain dusty areas or are not careful when changing lenses, you may get
dust ( I have not had any yet and I change lenses a lot )

Once you get dust, it can be a little more difficult to get out of there
than it would seem, but not impossible and if you ever get the problem, just
come back and check out existing questions or ask a new one and you will get
the latest instructions on how to clean it. If you don't get dust, don't
worry about it and don't even try to clean it.

> It
> appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
> removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
> tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
> simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
> get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> I've been reluctant to switch to DSLR because of the potential problems
> with dirty sensors caused by the ability to remove the lens.
>
> Is this a real problem with DSLRs, or not as bad as it seems. It
> appears that Canon recommends use of a hand-held blower for dust
> removal, but I wonder whether that actually works. Dust is often
> tenacious and bonds itself to surfaces in ways that are resistant to
> simple blowing. Maybe the best example is my eyeglasses. Once they
> get dusty, only windex will clean them thoroughly.

An option are Olympus DSLRs, which have an automated dust removal system
(they shake the dust away when you switch them on).
--

Alfred Molon