Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > PIX 515E question...

PIX 515E question...

jsandlin0803

I am going to be needing a firewall for my network. I will be getting
the PIX 515E (unless others are suggested) to handle both firewall and
vpn functions. It will be the Unrestricted version with at leat 4
ethernet ports. There will be 2 sperate networks coming into this,
along with a DMZ later on for a FTP server. I need to know if i can set
the PIX up so that a dial-in client can only access one of the
networks, not both, when they establish the vpn connection.

Let me know asap becuase i am ready to order.

Thanks
Jason

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
jsandlin0803 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I am going to be needing a firewall for my network. I will be getting
>the PIX 515E (unless others are suggested) to handle both firewall and
>vpn functions. It will be the Unrestricted version with at leat 4
>ethernet ports. There will be 2 sperate networks coming into this,
>along with a DMZ later on for a FTP server. I need to know if i can set
>the PIX up so that a dial-in client can only access one of the
>networks, not both, when they establish the vpn connection.

>Let me know asap becuase i am ready to order.

Yes. The VPN client user has to enter a group name and group password.
Each distinct group name corresponds to a different vpngroup
in the configuration. Each vpngroup can be configured to use
a different ip pool for the dynamic IP given to the client.
You can then configure your ACLs so that the different IP ranges
for those pools have different accesses.

>I am going to be needing a firewall for my network. I will be getting
>the PIX 515E (unless others are suggested) to handle both firewall and
>vpn functions. It will be the Unrestricted version with at leat 4

The Unrestricted version is much more expensive than the Restricted,
and depending on your other equipment and your requirements
you might be able to handle the 4th interface via an 802.1Q vlan,
thus allowing you to use Restricted instead of Unrestricted.

But personally these days if I were looking to get a 515E Unrestricted
I would have a careful look at the Cisco 55x0 Security Appliances.

www.BradReese.Com

Hi Jason,

Currently have quantity 53 of SMARTnet Eligible Cisco Refurbished
PIX-515E-R-BUN available with a list price of $2,692

And quantity 37 of SMARTnet Eligible Cisco Refurbished PIX-515E-UR-BUN
available with a list price of $5,385

http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-inventory-search.htm

Please call Reggie Grant in Asheville, North Carolina for competitive
pricing.

Toll Free: 877-549-2680 or 828-277-7272

Sincerely,

Brad Reese
http://www.BradReese.Com
1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
International: 828-277-7272

jsandlin0803

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it.

I got a Cisco PIX 515E UR with 4 Ethernet ports with 3 year warranty
for $3200.

Thanks
Jason

Walter Roberson

In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
jsandlin0803 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>I got a Cisco PIX 515E UR with 4 Ethernet ports with 3 year warranty
>for $3200.

At that price, my -suspicion- would be that you got it used, perhaps
from auction. If so, then unless you are in some parts of Europe,
you do not have a proper license to use the device, and would need
to "relicense" it from Cisco before you could put it on support
or even get one of the free security upgrades.