Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Sony W7 underwater

Reply
Thread Tools

Sony W7 underwater

 
 
Siddhartha Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2005
I bought the Sony MPK-WA underwater housing for my Sony W7 since I am
expecting to head for some snorkelling and diving. Soon, I came across
the Sony filter kit (VF-MPK5) for the underwater housing thats priced
at $80!! The effect of the filter seems to be pretty good on the
underwater photos but I don't want to spend $80 on something that I
will VERY rarely use. Plus, the guilt factor of already having spent
half the camera's worth on the housing deters me from buying the Sony
filter set.

So is there any other option? Maybe cheaper filters or some
post-processing that can achieve the same effect as a filter or
something close?

Also, has someone here used the Sony W7 for underwater shooting? Any
photos that I can see? (Although I should've done this before I bought
the housing)


Thanks,

- Siddhartha

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Kinon O'cann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-28-2005

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I bought the Sony MPK-WA underwater housing for my Sony W7 since I am
> expecting to head for some snorkelling and diving. Soon, I came across
> the Sony filter kit (VF-MPK5) for the underwater housing thats priced
> at $80!! The effect of the filter seems to be pretty good on the
> underwater photos but I don't want to spend $80 on something that I
> will VERY rarely use. Plus, the guilt factor of already having spent
> half the camera's worth on the housing deters me from buying the Sony
> filter set.
>
> So is there any other option? Maybe cheaper filters or some
> post-processing that can achieve the same effect as a filter or
> something close?
>
> Also, has someone here used the Sony W7 for underwater shooting? Any
> photos that I can see? (Although I should've done this before I bought
> the housing)


What, exactly doe the filter do? With auto white balance, I'm not sure if I
see a need for a filter.

>
>
> Thanks,
>
> - Siddhartha
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Siddhartha Jain
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005

Kinon O'cann wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> >I bought the Sony MPK-WA underwater housing for my Sony W7 since I am
> > expecting to head for some snorkelling and diving. Soon, I came across
> > the Sony filter kit (VF-MPK5) for the underwater housing thats priced
> > at $80!! The effect of the filter seems to be pretty good on the
> > underwater photos but I don't want to spend $80 on something that I
> > will VERY rarely use. Plus, the guilt factor of already having spent
> > half the camera's worth on the housing deters me from buying the Sony
> > filter set.
> >
> > So is there any other option? Maybe cheaper filters or some
> > post-processing that can achieve the same effect as a filter or
> > something close?
> >
> > Also, has someone here used the Sony W7 for underwater shooting? Any
> > photos that I can see? (Although I should've done this before I bought
> > the housing)

>
> What, exactly doe the filter do? With auto white balance, I'm not sure if I
> see a need for a filter.
>
> >
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > - Siddhartha
> >


On white-balance:
http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html

On filters:
http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/filte...t-photography/

- Siddhartha

 
Reply With Quote
 
Kinon O'cann
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-29-2005

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>>
>> What, exactly doe the filter do? With auto white balance, I'm not sure if
>> I
>> see a need for a filter.
>>
>> >
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> >
>> > - Siddhartha
>> >

>
> On white-balance:
> http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/uwphoto/index-e.html
>
> On filters:
> http://wetpixel.com/i.php/full/filte...t-photography/
>
> - Siddhartha


Good info...

It does look like the best combo is the filter and manual white balance.
Live and learn...

>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony dsc p92 underwater housing Galenus Digital Photography 1 08-09-2004 01:59 PM
Underwater photography with digital camera Stefan Digital Photography 7 08-09-2003 10:43 PM
Sony DSC-U60 - Anyone taken pictures underwater with it? RM Digital Photography 8 08-08-2003 02:37 AM
Underwater case/bag for Sony DSC P92 Roy Digital Photography 3 07-26-2003 07:57 AM
Samsung Digimax V4 and SPH-V3/V4 Underwater Housing Diver Rick Digital Photography 0 07-23-2003 03:03 AM



Advertisments