Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Raw Shooter Premium available!

Raw Shooter Premium available!

David J. Littleboy

Pixmantec has released RawShooter Premium, the for-money version of their
freebie RawShooter Essentials.

http://www.pixmantec.com/

They're having a 4-day only introductory price special of US$59.00.

I don't know what the price will go up to.

I really like RSE, and RSP adds a couple of minor niceties. RSP supports a
couple of cameras that RSE doesn't, has some improved algorithms, more
features in the workflow, and adds a curves/levels control. They claim that
the camera support and improved algorithms will make it back into RSE, but
the workflow features and curves/levels control won't.

And RSP has a "Vibrancy" slider in the color control section to "slide in
some Velvia"!

David J. Littleboy
Just a satisfied RSP customer in
Tokyo, Japan

Mike G.

David J. Littleboy wrote:

> I don't know what the price will go up to.

I think US$99.

Mark²

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> Pixmantec has released RawShooter Premium, the for-money version of
> their freebie RawShooter Essentials.
>
> http://www.pixmantec.com/
>
> They're having a 4-day only introductory price special of US$59.00.
>
> I don't know what the price will go up to.
>
> I really like RSE, and RSP adds a couple of minor niceties. RSP
> supports a couple of cameras that RSE doesn't, has some improved
> algorithms, more features in the workflow, and adds a curves/levels
> control. They claim that the camera support and improved algorithms
> will make it back into RSE, but the workflow features and
> curves/levels control won't.
> And RSP has a "Vibrancy" slider in the color control section to
> "slide in some Velvia"!
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Just a satisfied RSP customer in
> Tokyo, Japan

Hey, thanks for the heads up, David!
Bill Hilton turned me on to RSE and I've been enjoying this great little
FREE program ever since.
I find I use it more than either CS RAW or C1.
-Just like it.
Curves and levels would be a VERY helpful addition.

Mark²

Mike G. wrote:
> David J. Littleboy wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what the price will go up to.
>>

> I think US$99.

I just checked...
US$59...not 99.

Ordered.

David J. Littleboy

"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
> Mike G. wrote:
>> David J. Littleboy wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't know what the price will go up to.
>>>

>> I think US$99.

> I just checked...
> US$59...not 99.
>
> Ordered.

The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five days
only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike chipped in
with US$99.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Mark²

David J. Littleboy wrote:
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>> Mike G. wrote:

>>> I think US$99.

>> I just checked...
>> US$59...not 99.
>>
>> Ordered.

> The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five
> days only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike
> chipped in with US$99.
>
> David J. Littleboy
> Tokyo, Japan

Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.
Only complaint is that RSE has always seemed to be a bit of a memory hog...
works great though.
-This will save time for shots where only minimal correction is required,
rather than having to open into PS.
Often I have a lot of "snap-shot" type images that require no more than a
bit of EV adjustment in RSE, but I would still have to open in PS for
levels. I'm sure I'll always use PShop for any serious images, but this is
great for a quick workflow with tons of other images.

The vibrance slider it interesting.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:53:01 +0900, in rec.photo.digital "David J.
Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The US$59 bit is a special introductory low price for the first five days
>only. I don't know what the price after Nov. 1 will be, and Mike chipped in
>with US$99.

Just to be clear the newsletter I received states the $59 price is good
through Oct. 31,2005 and would appear only available to those who have
registered RSE.

"The list price is $99.00. It’s a great price for a great product, but
wait, there is more to come. To show our thanks for your loyal support of
the essentials product we’re giving registered users a one-time amazing
discount upgrade price of $59.00. This offer will only be available if the
product is purchased during the remaining days of October. You will be able
to pay in your local currency when downloading from our e-Shop."
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Annika1980

>Just installed it, and the levels/curves works a charm.
>I really think this interface is best over CS RAW and C1.

I installed the new version as well and I find myself using it more and
more.
Guess I'll plop down the $59 before the price goes up.

I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on the
slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
How can you have less than zero?
Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.

I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.
When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics were

sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a marketing thing.

Other than that minor quibble (I love quibbling with minors) it's a
great program.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On 28 Oct 2005 04:17:28 -0700, in rec.photo.digital "Annika1980"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm still confused about the Sharpness slider. The mid-point on the
>slider is "0" and the lowest point is "-50."
>How can you have less than zero?
>Same thing for the Detail Extraction control.
>
>I think they should've made these starting at "0" and going up.
>When I first used RSE (at the "0" setting) I noticed that the pics were
>
>sharper than ACR was giving me. So I guess it's a marketing thing.

RTFHF. The help file mentions that zero for several settings doesn't mean
none, sharpening and detail extraction are at least two I remember being
mentioned.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at

Annika1980

>RTFHF. The help file mentions that zero for several settings doesn't mean
>none, sharpening and detail extraction are at least two I remember being
>mentioned.

I didn't need to RTFHF to see that since the slider goes down to -50.
My point was that they did it that way as a marketing ploy to make the
results sharper at the default setting of "0."

Besides, who reads help files?