Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > error: memory card locked

error: memory card locked

name

Hey.
Since a while I have a 1 GB SD card. I can't find any brandname, the
card only has "SecureDigital Card", "INSERT" and "1 GB" printed on the
label. When I use it in my Canon Powershot S2 IS, it seems to work
fine. However sometimes when I turn on the camera, it just says "error:
memory card locked" and refuses to operate until I take out the card
and insert it again. Then it seems to work fine again but eventually
the same problem occurs.
This is quite annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has
experienced similar problems, perhaps with the same combination of the
specific camera and SD card I'm using?

Thx in advance for any feedback, Niek

MarkČ

name wrote:
> Hey.
> Since a while I have a 1 GB SD card. I can't find any brandname, the
> card only has "SecureDigital Card", "INSERT" and "1 GB" printed on the
> label. When I use it in my Canon Powershot S2 IS, it seems to work
> fine. However sometimes when I turn on the camera, it just says
> "error: memory card locked" and refuses to operate until I take out
> the card and insert it again. Then it seems to work fine again but
> eventually the same problem occurs.
> This is quite annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has
> experienced similar problems, perhaps with the same combination of the
> specific camera and SD card I'm using?
>

> Thx in advance for any feedback, Niek

SD cards have a little switch on them that can be used to write-protect the
card.
It could be a faulty switch, or you could simply need to cycle it up and
down again, into the unlocked position.
Try switching it one way, then back (tiny switch on the thin side of the
card).
-M2

name

MarkČ (lowest even number here) wrote:
> name wrote:
> > Hey.
> > Since a while I have a 1 GB SD card. I can't find any brandname, the
> > card only has "SecureDigital Card", "INSERT" and "1 GB" printed on the
> > label. When I use it in my Canon Powershot S2 IS, it seems to work
> > fine. However sometimes when I turn on the camera, it just says
> > "error: memory card locked" and refuses to operate until I take out
> > the card and insert it again. Then it seems to work fine again but
> > eventually the same problem occurs.
> > This is quite annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has
> > experienced similar problems, perhaps with the same combination of the
> > specific camera and SD card I'm using?
> >

> > Thx in advance for any feedback, Niek

> SD cards have a little switch on them that can be used to write-protect the
> card.
> It could be a faulty switch, or you could simply need to cycle it up and
> down again, into the unlocked position.
> Try switching it one way, then back (tiny switch on the thin side of the
> card).
> -M2

Yes I know, I already tried to lock/unlock the card a couple of times
to see if that made any difference... but when the card is working
properly initially (being able to take and store pictures) implies that
it wasn't in locked position, even though it subsequently claimed the
card to be locked (while I hadn't taken the card out inbetween).

Stephen Poley

On 27 Oct 2005 11:55:28 -0700, "name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Since a while I have a 1 GB SD card. I can't find any brandname, the
>card only has "SecureDigital Card", "INSERT" and "1 GB" printed on the
>label. When I use it in my Canon Powershot S2 IS, it seems to work
>fine. However sometimes when I turn on the camera, it just says "error:
>memory card locked" and refuses to operate until I take out the card
>and insert it again. Then it seems to work fine again but eventually
>the same problem occurs.
>This is quite annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has
>experienced similar problems, perhaps with the same combination of the
>specific camera and SD card I'm using?

Well, if it's an unbranded card, no-one can tell whether their card is
the same as yours. But yes, I have a Kingston 1Gb SD card which does
something very similar in my Minolta Z10 - maybe once in every 20 times
I turn the camera on. Only I don't have to remove the card: switching
the camera off and on is enough. It's a bit irritating. But I've had
many hundreds of photographs from the card and not lost any yet. Just
one of those things.

--
Stephen Poley

name

Stephen Poley wrote:
> On 27 Oct 2005 11:55:28 -0700, "name" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Since a while I have a 1 GB SD card. I can't find any brandname, the
> >card only has "SecureDigital Card", "INSERT" and "1 GB" printed on the
> >label. When I use it in my Canon Powershot S2 IS, it seems to work
> >fine. However sometimes when I turn on the camera, it just says "error:
> >memory card locked" and refuses to operate until I take out the card
> >and insert it again. Then it seems to work fine again but eventually
> >the same problem occurs.
> >This is quite annoying and I was wondering if anyone else has
> >experienced similar problems, perhaps with the same combination of the
> >specific camera and SD card I'm using?

> Well, if it's an unbranded card, no-one can tell whether their card is
> the same as yours.

Their card might be unbranded like mine. If many people report problems
with unbranded cards, that might be an argument to avoid buying them
and going with branded cards instead.

> But yes, I have a Kingston 1Gb SD card which does
> something very similar in my Minolta Z10 - maybe once in every 20 times
> I turn the camera on. Only I don't have to remove the card: switching
> the camera off and on is enough. It's a bit irritating. But I've had
> many hundreds of photographs from the card and not lost any yet. Just
> one of those things.

Taking out the flash card and re-inserting is just too much of a hassle
(besides dramatically increasing the chances of dirt/dust entering the
flashcard slot) and although I haven't used the card very often, it
seems to happen much more frequently in my camera (a rough guess would
be about 1 in 5 times).
But perhaps the card is ok and the camera is causing the problem and a
firmware upgrade of the camera resolves it. I'll try to test the card
in a different camera soon.