Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Advice on buying the best (sharpest) P+S "macro" camera

Advice on buying the best (sharpest) P+S "macro" camera

Stig Holmberg

I need advice on buying a P+S camera with the best possible macro rendering,
i need macro shots that are really sharp and detailed.

Currently i own a Canon G6 but i donīt think itīs very sharp in the macro
area (for allround shooting very fine though).

I have also tried Nikon Coolpix 4500 that is sharper in macro mode, but it
has only 4M pix. and a bit noisier compared to current cameras and no RAW
format.

Some may suggest a DSLR with a macro lens but i prefer a P+S camera for
macro because of the larger depth of field.

All suggestions welcome, thanks.

Regards Stig

imbsysop

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 22:59:48 +0200, "Stig Holmberg"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I need advice on buying a P+S camera with the best possible macro rendering,
>i need macro shots that are really sharp and detailed.
>
>Currently i own a Canon G6 but i donīt think itīs very sharp in the macro
>area (for allround shooting very fine though).

care to elaborate 'cos with my G6 I have no complaints whatsoever on
sharpness for macro except that the macro modes do not allow to come
close enough (except with some CU lenses)
any examples of those "unsharp" macros ?

Joseph Chamberlain, DDS

Stig:

Consider the Nikon CoolPix 8400.

The 8400 follows on the footsteps of the older CoolPix 5000 that could focus
down to a distance of only 1" (one inch) from the subject. This is the
closest any point-and-shoot camera is capable of focusing in terms of
minimum focusing distance. The photos are very good and another advantage is
that this camera allows you to store images in RAW format (Nikon's NEF)
unlike most point-and-shoot.

Best regards,

Joseph

---

Dr. Joseph Chamberlain
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

On 10/26/05 1:59 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed), "Stig
Holmberg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I need advice on buying a P+S camera with the best possible macro rendering,
> i need macro shots that are really sharp and detailed.
>
> Currently i own a Canon G6 but i donīt think itīs very sharp in the macro
> area (for allround shooting very fine though).
>
> I have also tried Nikon Coolpix 4500 that is sharper in macro mode, but it
> has only 4M pix. and a bit noisier compared to current cameras and no RAW
> format.
>
> Some may suggest a DSLR with a macro lens but i prefer a P+S camera for
> macro because of the larger depth of field.
>
> All suggestions welcome, thanks.
>
> Regards Stig

imbsysop

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 07:37:28 GMT, "Joseph Chamberlain, DDS"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Stig:
>
>Consider the Nikon CoolPix 8400.
>
>The 8400 follows on the footsteps of the older CoolPix 5000 that could focus
>down to a distance of only 1" (one inch) from the subject. This is the
>closest any point-and-shoot camera is capable of focusing in terms of
>minimum focusing distance. ..

I think it is high time for you to read a number present day's
cameras' of tech specs .. your statement starts to sound quite
"prehistoric"
(Canon S2 0cm (yes zero!))

David J Taylor

imbsysop wrote:
[]
> I think it is high time for you to read a number present day's
> cameras' of tech specs .. your statement starts to sound quite
> "prehistoric"
> (Canon S2 0cm (yes zero!))

I second the Nikon range - of all that I've used the Coolpix 990 is the
best.

Zero cm I treat as a pure sales gimmick - how are you going to light the
subject, and do you really want a coin scratching the lens surface or an
insect depositing goodness know what substances on the lens?

David

imbsysop

On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:10:59 GMT, "David J Taylor"
<(E-Mail Removed)-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk.invalid>
wrote:

>imbsysop wrote:
>[]
>> I think it is high time for you to read a number present day's
>> cameras' of tech specs .. your statement starts to sound quite
>> "prehistoric"
>> (Canon S2 0cm (yes zero!))

>I second the Nikon range - of all that I've used the Coolpix 990 is the
>best.

seem pretty much history to me .. it used to be, 5 yrs ago .. mind you
we still use it on our microscopes but that is a matter of money not
of technology ..

>Zero cm I treat as a pure sales gimmick -

apprently not .. people have shown pictures of "objects" just running
over the lens

>how are you going to light the
>subject,

ever heard of optic fiber ? we currently use optic fiber lights in
microscopy illumination so ?? (I'm pretty much convinced that any
dedicated DIY'er can make such device at low cost ..)

>and do you really want a coin scratching the lens surface or an
>insect depositing goodness know what substances on the lens?

ha .. seems you have seen the insect pictures then as well ? but
besides these irrelevant situations, very small lens to object
distances can be used and with the propper technique correctly
illuminated and at 0.5", light may be more than sufficient/adequate

The point is in the fact that the statement that the Nikon is the only
cam that can focus at 1" is long "depassé" .. a lot of other can do
much better ..

David J Taylor

imbsysop wrote:
[]
> The point is in the fact that the statement that the Nikon is the only
> cam that can focus at 1" is long "depassé" .. a lot of other can do
> much better ..

I still regard being able to focus at the front of the lens as somewhat of
a marketing gimmick, to be honest. At 0cm, the Canon S2 IS has 20 x 15 mm
coverage (with some of barrel distortion), whereas the Nikon 990 offers a
20mm working distance for the same field. Isn't that working distance
worth having? Yes, I know the 990 is 5 years old, but that means it might
be cheaper as well!

David