Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Digital Rebel 300D vs Rebel XT

Digital Rebel 300D vs Rebel XT

Dr Nick

Hi, I'm new to the group, am having sort of an "argument" with a friend and
wanted to ask the pros (or at least peopel who know mroe about the topic
than myself and my friend) we are running an Ebay business and up until
recently were shooting with a 20D (great camera) but a little overkill in my
opinion. we would take the pics then do some lite photo shop work to them
before putting them on-line. we are now looking for a new camera because we
no longer have access to the 20D. and don't want to spend the 20D's price
tag considering we are both pretty amature and didn't use a lto fo the
features it had to offer. We are looking at buying a Digital rebel 300D or
getting the newer rebel XT. there is a decent megapixel difference (6.3-8.0)
between the two of them. is this a difference we will notice when putting
them on-line? (we would take all pics at full quality, then photoshop them
at full before compressing them to put on the web) the fact that it's about
a 200 dollar difference between the two fo them (can get a rebel for about
600 bucks and an XT is around 800 or so) what would you recommend for
shooting stuff that will go on the web? thanks!

-Nick

David J. Littleboy

"Dr Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> We are looking at buying a Digital rebel 300D or getting the newer rebel
> XT. there is a decent megapixel difference (6.3-8.0) between the two of
> them. is this a difference we will notice when putting them on-line? (we
> would take all pics at full quality, then photoshop them at full before
> compressing them to put on the web)

You won't see any difference after downsampling to web size. None, nada,
zip.

> the fact that it's about a 200 dollar difference between the two fo them
> (can get a rebel for about 600 bucks and an XT is around 800 or so) what
> would you recommend for shooting stuff that will go on the web? thanks!

The XT improves on the 300D in a lot of minor ways (see the list at the link
below) that, I think, add up (for example, the better flash control (E-TTL
II and FEC) could make your work easier). So my recommendation would be to
go for the XT if possible financially.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Frank ess

Dr Nick wrote:
> Hi, I'm new to the group, am having sort of an "argument" with a
> friend and wanted to ask the pros (or at least peopel who know mroe
> about the topic than myself and my friend) we are running an Ebay
> business and up until recently were shooting with a 20D (great
> camera) but a little overkill in my opinion. we would take the pics
> then do some lite photo shop work to them before putting them
> on-line. we are now looking for a new camera because we no longer
> have access to the 20D. and don't want to spend the 20D's price tag
> considering we are both pretty amature and didn't use a lto fo the
> features it had to offer. We are looking at buying a Digital rebel
> 300D or getting the newer rebel XT. there is a decent megapixel
> difference (6.3-8.0) between the two of them. is this a difference
> we
> will notice when putting them on-line? (we would take all pics at
> full quality, then photoshop them at full before compressing them to
> put on the web) the fact that it's about a 200 dollar difference
> between the two fo them (can get a rebel for about 600 bucks and an
> XT is around 800 or so) what would you recommend for shooting stuff
> that will go on the web? thanks!
> -Nick

I'd find a good Nikon CP995 and be happy and richer ever after.

--
Frank ess

Dr Nick

> The XT improves on the 300D in a lot of minor ways (see the list at the
> link
> below) that, I think, add up (for example, the better flash control (E-TTL
> II and FEC) could make your work easier). So my recommendation would be to
> go for the XT if possible financially.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/

looked at the link but form what I see most of it is greek to me, lol. we
woudl mainly use the dial on the top of the 20D but didn't use too many of
it's features, I imagine we will do the same with the rebel so I don't think
the fact it has extra features is gonna matter too mch. any ideas on cheap
places to buy a rebel? possibly new (I know it's hard to find a new rebel,
I'm mostly finding refurbs) thanks!

Dr Nick

ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for 720
shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards created
equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all brands
created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's speed?
thanks!

-Nick

David J. Littleboy

"Dr Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for 720
> shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards created
> equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all brands
> created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's speed?
> thanks!

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Dr Nick

"David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djn6p7$3ru$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dr Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for
>> 720 shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards
>> created equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all
>> brands created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's
>> speed? thanks!

> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699

thanks for the great info, just one last question, does the memory card have
anything to do with how fast or slow the pictures are transfered from the
camrea to the computer?

David J. Littleboy

"Dr Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "David J. Littleboy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> "Dr Nick" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> ok Decided to go with the XT found it brand new in box with a lens for
>>> 720 shipped. looking for a 1GB card for it. my question, are all cards
>>> created equil? I see some "ultra" cards and other just normal? are all
>>> brands created equil? what card should I get for this to maxamize it's
>>> speed? thanks!

>> http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-7699
>>

> thanks for the great info, just one last question, does the memory card
> have anything to do with how fast or slow the pictures are transfered from
> the camrea to the computer?

Hmm. I'd guess not a lot. Even though the XT is USB 2.0, and worlds faster
at downloading than the 300D, I saw a benchmark somewhere that showed that
it was still a lot slower than a USB2.0 card reader, so that would probably
be the limiting factor.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

railfan

Either Rebel is overkill for eBay use. They reduce the sizes of photos
on auctions anyway. I've used 1.3MP and 3.3MP point and shoot digital
cameras to shoot eBay auctions, seemed to work great. I now have both
the Rebel 300 and the Rebel XT 350, but haven't had any auctions for a
while to use them with.

If you're buying the camera just for eBay, most of the point and shoot
cameras these days should work just fine. Save yourself a bunch.

Bob Boudreau

SimonLW

> Hi, I'm new to the group, am having sort of an "argument" with a friend
> and wanted to ask the pros (or at least peopel who know mroe about the
> topic than myself and my friend) we are running an Ebay business and up
> until recently were shooting with a 20D (great camera) but a little
> overkill in my opinion. we would take the pics then do some lite photo
> shop work to them before putting them on-line. we are now looking for a
> new camera because we no longer have access to the 20D. and don't want to
> spend the 20D's price tag considering we are both pretty amature and
> didn't use a lto fo the features it had to offer. We are looking at buying
> a Digital rebel 300D or getting the newer rebel XT. there is a decent
> megapixel difference (6.3-8.0) between the two of them. is this a
> difference we will notice when putting them on-line? (we would take all
> pics at full quality, then photoshop them at full before compressing them
> to put on the web) the fact that it's about a 200 dollar difference
> between the two fo them (can get a rebel for about 600 bucks and an XT is
> around 800 or so) what would you recommend for shooting stuff that will go
> on the web? thanks!
>
> -Nick

If cost is the issue, I'd say you don't need the Rebel at all. I shoot my
ebay pix with a 3MP camera and use flood lights on each side. The pix look
very good. The sub VGA resolution images that ebay uses that are strongly
compressed just don't need the resolution the Rebel gives. If you can find a
1 MP camera (on ebay!) it should be all you need.

Of course, you can host your own images, but I see auctions where they put
up multiple huge images that are not compressed enough and take forever to
load. I'm on dialup at home, so I click out of these auctions.
-S