Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > dare I ask for some critique....?

dare I ask for some critique....?

simon

I'd welcome any input.

www.srsteel.co.uk

Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
Where am I going wrong..?
(I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)

All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.

Simon Steel

Dave R knows who

"simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djm25o$u0l$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> I'd welcome any input.
>
> www.srsteel.co.uk
>
> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
> Where am I going wrong..?
> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>
> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>
> Simon Steel

Hi Simon,

I would try a little rotation before you crop to get the horizon level and
tall buildings standing straight.

Also the angle of the "Hoad" makes it look like a, um, you know what.

Marvin

simon wrote:
> I'd welcome any input.
>
> www.srsteel.co.uk
>
> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
> Where am I going wrong..?
> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>
> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>
> Simon Steel

My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a dark object,
your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a larger opening makes
resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your pictures best, make the background
white or a light color.

This old Bob

"Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> simon wrote:
>> I'd welcome any input.
>>
>> www.srsteel.co.uk
>>
>> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
>> Where am I going wrong..?
>> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
>> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>>
>> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
>> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>>
>> Simon Steel
>>

> My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a
> dark object, your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a
> larger opening makes resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your
> pictures best, make the background white or a light color.

And I disagree. Light backgrounds can be too contrasty. Maybe I like my eyes
to open up? I dunno, but I tried white after reading a similar post here
(yours?) and then changed back to black.

Marvin

This old Bob wrote:
> "Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>simon wrote:
>>
>>>I'd welcome any input.
>>>
>>>www.srsteel.co.uk
>>>
>>>Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
>>>Where am I going wrong..?
>>>(I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
>>>horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>>>
>>>All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
>>>The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>>>
>>>Simon Steel
>>>

>>My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a
>>dark object, your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a
>>larger opening makes resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your
>>pictures best, make the background white or a light color.

> And I disagree. Light backgrounds can be too contrasty. Maybe I like my eyes
> to open up? I dunno, but I tried white after reading a similar post here
> (yours?) and then changed back to black.

An engineer who reported to me complained that the light at his desk wasn't bright enough.
It looked o\OK to me, so I asked a few questions. It turned out that he had been told
he should wear glasses, but didn't want to.

Not everyone's eyes are as good as yours.

Eric Miller

"simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djm25o$u0l$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> I'd welcome any input.
>
> www.srsteel.co.uk
>
> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
> Where am I going wrong..?
> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>
> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>
> Simon Steel

Get an alarm clock. It will help your landscape photos immensely.

Set it for just before sunrise and about 2 hours before sunset. Make it a
point to be in position to start shooting photos when the alarm goes off.

It seems as if all your photos were taken during the middle of the day. This
is not to say that they are bad, just that many of them could be improved,
IMHO, by reshooting with the sun at lower angles.

Eric Miller

MarkČ

simon wrote:
> I'd welcome any input.
>
> www.srsteel.co.uk
>
> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
> Where am I going wrong..?
> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>
> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>
> Simon Steel

Is there some reason why almost all your New England panoramas tilt downward
on the right (off-level)?

simon

Re the un-level pics.
They were taken and stitched together without being re-levelled up first. (I
had not discovered that function at the time).
Not sure why they lean initally though - having reviewed them again it is
apparent that they all show this trend. Must be my shoddy technique at the
time of shooting. However, I used panorama factory and it seems to have made
the lean worse - I will correct them eventually.

Re the landscapes and the comment about being taken mid day - you're right,
they mostly were shot mid-day to late afternoon.
I should make an effort to get out earlier...

Thanks for the comments though.

SS

Ron Hunter

This old Bob wrote:
> "Marvin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> simon wrote:
>>> I'd welcome any input.
>>>
>>> www.srsteel.co.uk
>>>
>>> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
>>> Where am I going wrong..?
>>> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
>>> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>>>
>>> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
>>> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>>>
>>> Simon Steel
>>>

>> My usual rant about Web pages with black backgrounds: When you look at a
>> dark object, your pupils open wide to admit more light. As in a camera, a
>> larger opening makes resolution worse. If you want the viewer to see your
>> pictures best, make the background white or a light color.

> And I disagree. Light backgrounds can be too contrasty. Maybe I like my eyes
> to open up? I dunno, but I tried white after reading a similar post here
> (yours?) and then changed back to black.

Perhaps a nice medium gray.....

--
Ron Hunter http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)

Roy

"simon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djm25o$u0l$(E-Mail Removed)2surf.net...
> I'd welcome any input.
>
> www.srsteel.co.uk
>
> Where (if anywhere) am I going right...?
> Where am I going wrong..?
> (I know that the web layout is a bit shaky in places and some of the
> horizons on the panoramas are a bit on the slide)
>
> All bar the Autumn pics were shot with a Casio QV2900UX 2.1Mp compact.
> The Autumn pics were shot with my new Pentax istDL.
>
> Simon Steel

Hi there.

You should have changed to a DSLR earlier. The difference in quality is
very obvious, and probably has more to do with accurate exposure measurement
and framing than file size.

Your use of colour in the autumn shots is good. The lack of vibrant colour
spoils the Gable End Murals. I have seen these and the colours are very
strong.

the P & S stuff, it is detracting from your abilities.

Roy G

Dare I ask? Robert Williams MCSE 13 01-30-2006 02:33 PM
Dare I ask? Robert Williams MCSE 0 01-27-2006 04:56 PM
Dare you!! DaveG Computer Support 6 11-05-2003 04:00 PM
Where Eagles Dare disc moisture problem? anthony DVD Video 8 09-24-2003 01:33 PM
Canceling file or directory deletion in .NET. That's Right Tony. How Dare You Ask a Question About .NET in This Dictatorship? perseus C++ 0 08-12-2003 09:01 PM

Advertisments