Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > nikon D70 does not meter with old lenses - Canon does!

nikon D70 does not meter with old lenses - Canon does!

LQQK@mi.sig

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikcan.htmOddly,

Nikon manual focus lenses on most Nikon AF cameras are almost useless
and provide no metering. These same manual lenses used with these
adaptors on Canon EOS cameras provide metering, more function than on
most Nikon AF cameras. Strange but true!

David Dyer-Bennet

> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikcan.htmOddly,
>

> Nikon manual focus lenses on most Nikon AF cameras are almost useless
> and provide no metering. These same manual lenses used with these
> adaptors on Canon EOS cameras provide metering, more function than on
> most Nikon AF cameras. Strange but true!

I strongly disagree with your "almost useless" opinion, though. I use
many such lenses quite frequently.

GTO

Actually, I am quite happy that my D70 does not meter when connected with a
T-mount to a microscope. The meter would just get me funny readings. The
histogram, even it's mainly recording intensities of the green channel, is
very useful for what I am using the D70. But then again, I like that the
Canons are able to meter with older lenses. This is very convenient and
something Nikon dropped from the D70 since they believe that serious
amateurs shall spend $5000 if they want this feature. It's another unwise
Nikon limitation, just like the missing MLU, that makes them just look like

Gregor

"David Dyer-Bennet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)-b.net...
> (E-Mail Removed) writes:
>
>> http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/nikcan.htmOddly,
>>

>> Nikon manual focus lenses on most Nikon AF cameras are almost useless
>> and provide no metering. These same manual lenses used with these
>> adaptors on Canon EOS cameras provide metering, more function than on
>> most Nikon AF cameras. Strange but true!

> I strongly disagree with your "almost useless" opinion, though. I use
> many such lenses quite frequently.
> --
> David Dyer-Bennet, <(E-Mail Removed)>, <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/>
> RKBA: <http://noguns-nomoney.com/> <http://www.dd-b.net/carry/>
> Pics: <http://dd-b.lighthunters.net/>
> <http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/>
> Dragaera/Steven Brust: <http://dragaera.info/>

Bernard Rother

GTO wrote:

> Actually, I am quite happy that my D70 does not meter when connected with a
> T-mount to a microscope. The meter would just get me funny readings. The
> histogram, even it's mainly recording intensities of the green channel, is
> very useful for what I am using the D70. But then again, I like that the
> Canons are able to meter with older lenses. This is very convenient and
> something Nikon dropped from the D70 since they believe that serious
> amateurs shall spend $5000 if they want this feature. It's another unwise
> Nikon limitation, just like the missing MLU, that makes them just look like

I have a D70 with 3rd party lenses, so Nikon lost on lens sales there.
If there is an adaptor to mate a Nikon lens to a Canon body would
someone not be making an adaptor to mate a Nikon MF lens with a D70 body
to get metering ?
I have a few Nikon lenses packed away in the roof which I'd love to use
again.I'm in South Africa and guess the cost involved in postage and
sending them to the US to be modified wouldn't be worth the effort.