Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon D50 & Older Lenses

Nikon D50 & Older Lenses

dickbolt@his.com

I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
Its not the top of the line however & older!
I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
have a pin coupler?
Dick

Jim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
> Its not the top of the line however & older!
> I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
> really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
> for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
> can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
> the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
> answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
> but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
> guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
> up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
> have a pin coupler?
> Dick

It would help if you came right out and told us the vintage of the lenses.
For example:
Pre-AI?
AI?
AI-S?
AF?
All of the first three have pin couplers which only pre-AI bodies need.
Isn't the D50 like the D70 in that it does not have the meter coupling ring?
If so, then it can only use pre-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses in manual mode with
no exposure control.
Also, if so, then you should be extra careful in mounting pre-AI lenses.
Jim

JimmyG

The D50 is essentially a D70 for lens compatibility purposes. I am currently
having TERRIBLE problems with getting my D70 to meter with older,
non-autofocus lenses. It simply won't do it. I tried a newly purchased,
used, 500mm f/4 ED-P lens on both my camera AND another new D70S with no
luck. It simply will NOT meter. This sucks. The lens tests OK on an F100
& other, older digital bodies, such as the D1X.

Also, be absolutely certain that you obtain & keep forever an original
purchase receipt on any Nikon lens or body. Nikon simply will not do ANY
work, warranty or otherwise, without the original purchase receipt.
Personal experience verifies this.

Also, be cautious when buying older AF lenses. I'm currently stuck with a
$1,300 piece of junk, 300mm AF-I f/2.8 lens. There are NO parts & even WITH
a receipt, Nikon can do minimal if ANY repairs.

sierra

Check out pages 106 & 107 of the D50 manual, there's a comprehensive
table showing compatibilities, and the lenses that cannot be used.
Given that you can download the manual prior to purchase, I think Nikon
have been fairly up-front with this information.

Jim

On 2005-10-24 10:37:09 -0400, "Jim" <(E-Mail Removed)> said:

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
>> Its not the top of the line however & older!
>> I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
>> really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
>> for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
>> can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
>> the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
>> answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
>> but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
>> guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
>> up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
>> have a pin coupler?
>> Dick
>>

> It would help if you came right out and told us the vintage of the lenses.
> For example:
> Pre-AI?
> AI?
> AI-S?
> AF?
> All of the first three have pin couplers which only pre-AI bodies need.
> Isn't the D50 like the D70 in that it does not have the meter coupling ring?
> If so, then it can only use pre-AI, AI, and AI-S lenses in manual mode
> with no exposure control.
> Also, if so, then you should be extra careful in mounting pre-AI lenses.
> Jim

It really is very simple. Its no secret. Nikon states it clearly in
any literature I have read. The Nikon D50/70 series will not meter
with any MANUAL focus lens. Period. (Heck, even my N90 requires and AI
or AI Modified lens). Most AI and modified AI lens can be mounted but
you will need to have an an external meter or "guess" at the exposure
and focus manually. AF, AF-D and AF-DX lense will work in all modes.
Non AI lenses which have not been properly modified can not be used,
period. With a manual lens, you will need to meter using an external
meter, and set the lens aperature and the shutter speed.

The Nikon F100, D1 and D2 series will work with your older lenses.

Jim

--
Jim <jen....not....home..remvdots...@....yahoo

babalooixnay@hotmail.com

The D50 will let you bracket (3) up to two stops in 1/3 increments so
that might help but the buffer won't give you more than three quick
ones, for sport photography it might not be enough. As mentioned above
Nikon is pretty clear about what works and what doesn't. You can
download a simplified PDF of the whole manual on the Nikon website.

dickbolt@his.com

Hi, yes I read the same on line! I do not have to have it couple, but
thought there might be a way to read the light going through lens at
least.
My Nikon lenses only have the pin coupler. It does go on the D50
(Compusa has sample to play with) if you are carefull and use the dot
on the body as a clew.
Dick

LQQK@mi.sig

I don't have a "clue" what you are talking about.

On 25 Oct 2005 09:25:32 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>use the dot
>on the body as a clew.

Dave

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> I have been using a Nikon film camera & assorted lenses for many yrs.
> Its not the top of the line however & older!
> I want to up grade to a D50 I think. If I buy a D50 & regular lens,I
> really would like to use my Nikkor telephoto lenses. My 300mm one I use
> for sports action shots(450mm with D50 I guess)is my prime concern. I
> can put up with manual focus just fine I think, did in film camera! Its
> the light level setting that I am concerned about. Nikon will not
> answer me & their on line info is confusing.I do not expect coupling,
> but a meter read out is likely needed at least on a check. Could a
> guess to light be made & a short taken & view results to adjust f-stops
> up or down? Is there a way to use the older Nikkor lenses that only
> have a pin coupler?
> Dick

FYI - There is a person who re-chips lenses to solve just this problem.
I think it will only work with AI, AI-S and AIed lenses and he is very
specific about which lenses he will work on.

Here is a link to his site. I have no personal experience with him, but
others have used him for this.

http://home.carolina.rr.com/headshots/Nikonhome.htm

Be sure to follow his directions as he's quite fussy.

Hope this helps,
Dave