Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Car rally photos

Car rally photos

Siddhartha Jain

Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
maintains the highway!!

http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568

- Siddhartha

Neil

In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
Siddhartha Jain <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
>highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
>maintains the highway!!

Well you saw a few cars go past! Nice photos.

Did you take your tripod?

I nearly got arrested on the Isle of Man when I was chasing the Manx
Rally around for walking on the road between cars. Bureaucracy, eh?

Regards
--
Neil Pugh

[BnH]

I think you could do better.

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote

> http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568
>

> - Siddhartha

Mardon

"Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
> Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted
> off the highway in Bombay by the private corporation's
> patrol that built and maintains the highway!!
> http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568
> - Siddhartha

Maybe you should plan on coming to Newfoundland next fall and photographing
TARGA Newfoundland. The rally is run on closed-off public roads and
photography is encouraged. See some of the pics that I took with my
little PowerShot G2 here: http://www.JustUs.ca/targa/

Frank ess

Mardon wrote:
> "Siddhartha Jain" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote...
>> Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted
>> off the highway in Bombay by the private corporation's
>> patrol that built and maintains the highway!!
>> http://losttoy.smugmug.com/gallery/905568
>> - Siddhartha

> Maybe you should plan on coming to Newfoundland next fall and
> photographing TARGA Newfoundland. The rally is run on closed-off
> public roads and photography is encouraged. See some of the
> pics that I took with my little PowerShot G2 here:
> http://www.JustUs.ca/targa/

Excellent!

TR7, A-H 100M, XK120MC Carrera Mexicana, XK120DHC...

Thank you for the opportunity.

--
Frank ess

Dave R knows who

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
news:435cb216$0$8634$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I think you could do better.

Not sure if the shutter speed was too low or AF didn't work. I would have
pre-focused manually and either panned at around 1/160 (depending on speed)
or made sure I was at 1/1000 if I wanted to stop the action.

Siddhartha Jain

Neil wrote:
> In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Siddhartha Jain <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
> >Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
> >highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
> >maintains the highway!!

> Well you saw a few cars go past! Nice photos.
>
> Did you take your tripod?
>
> I nearly got arrested on the Isle of Man when I was chasing the Manx
> Rally around for walking on the road between cars. Bureaucracy, eh?
>
> Regards
> --
> Neil Pugh

Hey!! Nope, didn't take the tripod. It isn't easy to lug a tripod when
you are being chased around

- Siddhartha

Siddhartha Jain

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
> news:435cb216$0$8634$(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I think you could do better.
> >

> Not sure if the shutter speed was too low or AF didn't work. I would have
> pre-focused manually and either panned at around 1/160 (depending on speed)
> or made sure I was at 1/1000 if I wanted to stop the action.

All photos were in manual mode. Shutter: 1/125, Aperture: f/16 and
pre-focussed since the neither the lens (Sigma 70-300mm) does AF fast
enough nor the does the camera (Canon 300D) support AF-servo. I guess I
should've swivelled faster to get crisper shots. Well, you shoot you
learn

- Siddhartha

Leonard

Siddhartha Jain wrote:

> All photos were in manual mode. Shutter: 1/125, Aperture: f/16 and
> pre-focussed since the neither the lens (Sigma 70-300mm) does AF fast
> enough nor the does the camera (Canon 300D) support AF-servo. I guess I
> should've swivelled faster to get crisper shots. Well, you shoot you
> learn

When I was shooting race cars with a Canon 300 (film), the AF was okay
most of the time. Although servo AF can't be selected manually, the
camera usually switched to it. I did have ring-usm on the lens which
presumably helps.

Here's what I tended to do -
* set Tv and 1/180
* follow a few cars without taking a shot, to practice the panning
and get a feel for when the picture should be taken
* start tracking the cars when they're still quite a way off
* remember to fire early because of the offensively long time it
took that camera to get the mirror out of the way

- Len

Dave R knows who

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
> Siddhartha Jain <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>>Here are some shots I managed to get before being evicted off the
>>highway in Bombay by the private corporation's patrol that built and
>>maintains the highway!!

> Well you saw a few cars go past! Nice photos.
>
> Did you take your tripod?

Tripod? To shoot moving cars? Only if you want some artsy streaks across the
frame.