Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Cisco > Good tool for reporting real-time and trend stats for multiple VPN 3000 concentrators?

Good tool for reporting real-time and trend stats for multiple VPN 3000 concentrators?

Heath Roberts

Can anyone point me to a good tool that can provide near-real-time and
trend stats for multiple VPN 3000 concentrators?

Let's say that I have a cluster of concentrators at a site in D.C.,
another cluster in San Diego, and one in Paris. I'd like to know at any
given time how many total users are connected, and be able to drill
down by site (for example 12000 total users connected, 6000 of them are
in Paris, 2000 are on one concentrator, and 4000 are on the other).

The trending would mostly be used to show usage patterns--my Paris
users connect early in the morning until noon, but San Diego users
connect all day Saturday. That sort of thing.

Having the output on a web page would be ideal.

I've called Cisco, and it seems like they listened to my request, and
sent me literature on their syslog appliance that can be configured to
send alarms, but provides no reporting function like what I've
described, at least not that I can see from the literature. If
someone's used one of these and can comment I'd appreciate that as
well.

I've looked at sawmill for analyzing syslogs, and I suspect it could be
made to do what I need, but I wonder if there are other
parsers/reporting tools that are better suited to the 3000-series
concentrators out of the box.

Thanks,
Heath

DigitalVinyl

I just started working with Concentrators in production this past year
and I'm still flabergasted that enterprise level VPN appliances don't
have reporting worth a damn. The only rpeorting is who is logged in
at this second which is barely useful.

We have the same issue and someone here is doing a home made script to
cull the syslogs and generate a DB of sessions.

I have to say... Nortel Contivity back in 2002 had built in history
(multiple months) and reporting right on the device. Unlike Cisco's
their redundant pairs also maintained a sync'd config. I can't believe
I'm supposed to manually maintain sync'd configs between redundant
nodes. I've becoming increasingly aware that as Cisco absorbs more
and more companies to grow markets and remain "competitive" they seem
to slip further away from building products that fit even basic
customer needs.

"Heath Roberts" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone point me to a good tool that can provide near-real-time and
>trend stats for multiple VPN 3000 concentrators?
>
>Let's say that I have a cluster of concentrators at a site in D.C.,
>another cluster in San Diego, and one in Paris. I'd like to know at any
>given time how many total users are connected, and be able to drill
>down by site (for example 12000 total users connected, 6000 of them are
>in Paris, 2000 are on one concentrator, and 4000 are on the other).
>
>The trending would mostly be used to show usage patterns--my Paris
>users connect early in the morning until noon, but San Diego users
>connect all day Saturday. That sort of thing.
>
>Having the output on a web page would be ideal.
>
>I've called Cisco, and it seems like they listened to my request, and
>sent me literature on their syslog appliance that can be configured to
>send alarms, but provides no reporting function like what I've
>described, at least not that I can see from the literature. If
>someone's used one of these and can comment I'd appreciate that as
>well.
>
>I've looked at sawmill for analyzing syslogs, and I suspect it could be
>made to do what I need, but I wonder if there are other
>parsers/reporting tools that are better suited to the 3000-series
>concentrators out of the box.
>
>Thanks,
>Heath

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

Hansang Bae

DigitalVinyl wrote:
[snip: incredible lack of enterprise level reporting]
> nodes. I've becoming increasingly aware that as Cisco absorbs more
> and more companies to grow markets and remain "competitive" they seem
> to slip further away from building products that fit even basic
> customer needs.

I guess if you complain enough, it gets in there. We actually punted
on the stackable 3700 series switches because it lacked basic snmp
monitoring. It was a case of "rush it out and call it an enterprise
switch" "What about the management?" We'll worry about that later!

But eventually, they do seem to add it in. It'll be interesting as
they move more and more into other spaces (AON, cable settop boxes etc)

I must admit, the recent cable box acquisition was a brilliant move.

--

hsb

DigitalVinyl

"Hansang Bae" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>DigitalVinyl wrote:
>[snip: incredible lack of enterprise level reporting]
>> nodes. I've becoming increasingly aware that as Cisco absorbs more
>> and more companies to grow markets and remain "competitive" they seem
>> to slip further away from building products that fit even basic
>> customer needs.

>I guess if you complain enough, it gets in there. We actually punted
>on the stackable 3700 series switches because it lacked basic snmp
>monitoring. It was a case of "rush it out and call it an enterprise
>switch" "What about the management?" We'll worry about that later!
>
>But eventually, they do seem to add it in. It'll be interesting as
>they move more and more into other spaces (AON, cable settop boxes etc)
>
>I must admit, the recent cable box acquisition was a brilliant move.

We've got a few 3750 stacks and the auto-update-sw function is totally
unreliable. Only one of four stacks successfully upgraded the slaves.
And Cisco reps are pushing these stacks as the next-best-thing.
Meanwhile we've had 3 hardware replacements out of about 16 boxes in
productions. All three failed within the first few weeks. Maybe we're
unlucky... i dunno. At another company we experienced similar
unreliablility with Nortel's latest-greatest set of stacks (in
2001-don't recall the models).

With the PIX firewalls I think items like the fact that they still
haven't come up with a fully functional reliable GUI for their
firewall is embarassing. The latest ASDM GUI still doesn't compare in
functionality or reliability to what I used on Checkpoint in 2002!

With technology changes everybody has problems, but I guess we always
assume the market leader is the most forward-looking or at least
talented in that respect. Unfortunately it is often the opposite. I
still recall Bill Gates' affirmation that there was no commercial
potential in 'the Internet'. Then suddenly MS woke up.

I do get frustrated that security and ESPECIALLY manageablility are
typically unimportant in the design of new technolgoy. As I started
dealing with fast switching (MLS/CEF) I found that thing we relied
upon in the apst, like statistics and ACL hits were made useless
because hardware switching made accounting on the traffic not
possible. Then of course you can buy new expensive board to enable
NetFlow technology which gets you back the visibility lost by the last
technolgical move forward. That type of stuff frustrates me.

DiGiTAL_ViNYL (no email)

brink

>Can anyone point me to a good tool that can provide near-real-time and
>trend stats for multiple VPN 3000 concentrators?

For a single box I'm using good old MRTG to graph the number of active
users. It should be possible to set that up for multiple units
and the total ? It's SNMP, use any tool you like.

Here's an extract from the MRTG config file, the SNMP OID is in there
if needed :

### user count : .1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.2.1.2.17.1.9.0 ###

Target[vpn-users]:
1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.2.1.2.17.1.9.0&1.3.6.1.4.1.3076.2 .1.2.17.1.9.0:@@@@@10.166.32.4
SetEnv[vpn-users]: MRTG_INT_IP="@@@@@" MRTG_INT_DESCR=""
MaxBytes[vpn-users]: 100
Title[vpn-users]: Users -- VPN concentrator
PageTop[vpn-users]: <H1>Users -- VPN concentrator</H1>
<TABLE>
<TR><TD>System:</TD> <TD>Cisco 3000 VPN concentrator in
MER</TD></TR>
<TR><TD>Description:</TD><TD>Users active </TD></TR>
</TABLE>

Hansang Bae

DigitalVinyl wrote:
[snip]
> I do get frustrated that security and ESPECIALLY manageablility are
> typically unimportant in the design of new technolgoy. As I started
> dealing with fast switching (MLS/CEF) I found that thing we relied
> upon in the apst, like statistics and ACL hits were made useless
> because hardware switching made accounting on the traffic not
> possible. Then of course you can buy new expensive board to enable
> NetFlow technology which gets you back the visibility lost by the last
> technolgical move forward. That type of stuff frustrates me.

Not to bash on Cisco too much, but what they hell were they thinking
putting in such a small drive on their NMS modules? If you span a few
ports on the 6500, you're done in a few minutes. What were they
thinking?

--

hsb

Johan

Why not use MRTG or Cacti to monitor the amount of logged in users on your
concentrator.

> www.cacti.net
> There's a lot of plugins on http://forums.cacti.net/forum-12.html.

Both monitoring tools will do the job, provided that you specify the OID's.
These can also be found on cacti page.

I do like MRTG but cacti is easier to work with if you want it to do simple
things.

Johan
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...