Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > D70 lens compatability

D70 lens compatability

JimmyG

I just discovered that my newly acquired 50mm f/4 P lens simply will not
meter with D70's or D70S's. The manual states that this CPU lens should
work. It doesn't.

I'm waiting for a response from Nikon on this.

Has anybody else had a similar experience?

--
Jimmy Greene
Nikon D70, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8

JR

What mode are you using? I think it only works in certain modes,
manual, center weighted, matrix metering i dont think will work.

JR

Roy

"JimmyG" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newszW6f.90774$lq6.72454@fed1read01...
>I just discovered that my newly acquired 50mm f/4 P lens simply will not
>meter with D70's or D70S's. The manual states that this CPU lens should
>work. It doesn't.
>
> I'm waiting for a response from Nikon on this.
>
> Has anybody else had a similar experience?
>
> --
> Jimmy Greene
> Nikon D70, Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8

Hi.

The D70 Manual page 183, has a footnote numbered 4, referring to tilt &
shift lenses not metering, but does not include a 4 against any of the Ticks
in the columns.

Is the "P" lens one of those strange beasts?

Roy G

John L Rice

Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for Windows XP SP2
and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :

I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and SilkyPix
etc. etc.

And I just noticed this main page for Windows XP digital photographers :
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...o/default.mspx

John L Rice

NickC

"John L Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
> Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...yID=d48e808e-b
> 10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
>
> I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
> experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
> SilkyPix etc. etc.

It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.

As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.

If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
Canon reader.

[yeah, I'm a bit ****ed off with MS at the moment.]

--
Nick

John L Rice

"NickC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns9744ABAC1AE59drizzeniinetnetau@203.59.27.1 31...
> "John L Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
>> Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...yID=d48e808e-b
>> 10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
>>
>> I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
>> experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
>> SilkyPix etc. etc.
>>

> It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
> no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
>
> As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
> installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
>
> If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
> to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
> Canon reader.
>
> [yeah, I'm a bit ****ed off with MS at the moment.]
>
> --
> Nick

Hi Nick,

Sorry you are having problems. It was no big deal for me since I'm a
developer and currently have Visual Studio 2003 installed on my machine
(which uses .NET 1.1) so I just needed to download the 6 MB installer for
the RAW converter. Quick and easy.

And just FYI (for anyone reading this) the .NET frameworks are similar to
the VB and FoxPro runtime engines that get installed as needed. VB4 apps
can't use the VB3 runtime engine and VB6 apps can't use the VB5 runtime
engine and so on. So applications written under .NET 1, .NET 1.1 or .NET
2.0 need the correct framework to run on. The good news is that VB.NET,
C#.NET, ASP.NET etc etc all use the same framework.(within a version) . It
just gets installed once and subsequent app are good to go.

Since anyone wanting to use Microsoft Windows operating systems and
applications and stay current, the one time download and installation of the
different frameworks is inevitable and not a waste of time or space in my
opinion.

John L Rice

Bernard Rother

NickC wrote:
> "John L Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

>>Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
>>Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...yID=d48e808e-b
>>10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
>>
>>I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
>>experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
>>SilkyPix etc. etc.
>>

> It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
> no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
>
> As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
> installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
>
> If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
> to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
> Canon reader.
>
> [yeah, I'm a bit ****ed off with MS at the moment.]

I'll second you on that. I downloaded a chaps program for converting VOB
files to MPG ( VOB2MPG ). During the installation it tried to log onto
MS and download that 25MB file. I'm on dial up but got a friend to d/l
it for me. During the installation of .NET ver 2.0 it now wanted to log
onto MS again to validate my license. That was the last straw. I dumped
..NET 2 and erased the VOB2MPG file .... along with the memory of the
kind chap who put his program up for all to use.

John L Rice

"Bernard Rother" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:dpovr2$b9j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> NickC wrote:
>> "John L Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>>>Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
>>>Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
>>>http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...yID=d48e808e-b
>>>10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
>>>I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
>>>experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
>>>SilkyPix etc. etc.
>>>

>> It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's no
>> real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
>>
>> As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
>> installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
>>
>> If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just to
>> read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native Canon
>> reader.
>>
>> [yeah, I'm a bit ****ed off with MS at the moment.]
>>

> I'll second you on that. I downloaded a chaps program for converting VOB
> files to MPG ( VOB2MPG ). During the installation it tried to log onto MS
> and download that 25MB file. I'm on dial up but got a friend to d/l it for
> me. During the installation of .NET ver 2.0 it now wanted to log onto MS
> again to validate my license. That was the last straw. I dumped .NET 2 and
> erased the VOB2MPG file .... along with the memory of the kind chap who
> put his program up for all to use.

Because technology keeps advancing and people keep trying to steal it,
sooner or later you are going to have to down load/install some new large
files and deal with the copy protection, unless you are happy with your
current software. Fact of life, it's going to get worse, not better.

John L Rice

Quaoar

NickC wrote:
> "John L Rice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Microsoft recently released free RAW converter plug-in for
>> Windows XP SP2 and it seems to work fine as far as I can tell :
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...yID=d48e808e-b
>> 10d-4ce4-a141-5866fd4a3286&DisplayLang=en
>>
>> I wouldn't mind reading some reviews/comparisons of this by people
>> experienced in using the more common choices like PhotoShop and
>> SilkyPix etc. etc.
>>

> It's bloatware to the max. It needs .NET (25MB download). There's
> no real reason why it should need .NET, just MS pushing their barrow.
>
> As well, it wants .NET v1.1, it won't work with the v2 I already have
> installed. Microsoft can't even program an installer properly.
>
> If someone wants to download and install nearly 50MB of software just
> to read RAW files, fine; I'll stick with irfanview and the native
> Canon reader.
>
> [yeah, I'm a bit ****ed off with MS at the moment.]

You ought to be ****ed. The Hidden Information is that the v1.1 was not
to be removed by the user when v 2 was installed. This right on the
heels of tha java runtime fiasco where the vulnerable versions of java
were not removed by the installer for the invulnerable version and Sun
had to revise the installer.

Just Plain Bill

Not withstanding all of the above, has any one actually used the XP
RAW converter enough to venture an opinion?

JPB