Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Copy 35mm slides - A DIY approach

Copy 35mm slides - A DIY approach

Malcolm

There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I saw
a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a try.

This one is made entirely of cardboard!

Have a look at it here:
http://tinyurl.com/c2et8

Malcolm

R.W. Behan

VERY clever, Malcolm. Thanks much.

Dick Behan

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I
> saw
> a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a try.
>
> This one is made entirely of cardboard!
>
> Have a look at it here:
> http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
>
> Malcolm

Jem Raid

"Malcolm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I
> saw
> a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a try.
>
> This one is made entirely of cardboard!
>
> Have a look at it here:
> http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
>
> Malcolm

I used to make models from card, and to harden it I used Shellac, I bought
some flakes and dissolved them in Methylated spirit, the great thing about
Shellac is the next coat dissolves into the first one, and it makes the card
almost as hard as wood.

Your copier is a great idea I have to use a crap scanner to copy 6 x 6 negs,
I shall make one like yours.

Thank you.

Jem

------------------------
My Collectable Cyanotypes & Etchings;
http://www.absolutearts.com/portfolios/j/jimread

Larry

Great results Malcolm,

A general question about focusing. The subject is actually the flat physical
plane of the film/slide. I would assume the barrel length has to be greater
than the minimum camera focus distance?

Larry

Colin D

Malcolm wrote:

> There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I saw
> a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a try.
>
> This one is made entirely of cardboard!
>
> Have a look at it here:
> http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
>
> Malcolm

About your remark on copying negatives with the orange mask. If you use
auto white balance the camera will attempt to balance the negative,
ruining the colors. Use manual white balance set for the illumination
you are using, e.g. daylight, and the resulting image should retain the
orange look of the negative. Then, in Photoshop or PSP, invert the
negative to a positive, it will look pale and cyan, then using levels,
hit Auto Level and the image should then look pretty good.

Colin D.

Malcolm

> A general question about focusing. The subject is actually the flat
physical
> plane of the film/slide. I would assume the barrel length has to be

greater
> than the minimum camera focus distance?
>
> Larry

I kept shortening the cardboard barrel by about 1mm at a time. I would then
check the focus. I kept doing this until the focus was at its limit. Olympus
quotes a minimum distance of 3cm. I don't know where this is measured from.
I shortened the cardboard barrel until the slide was about 2.5 cm from the
end of the camera lens barrel.

The cardboard barrel doesn't fit exactly the same each time. So two things
need to happen: a) centre the slide (by taking off the paper clips and
moving the slide holder) and b) focus by using focus bracketing. The EVF
just isn't clear enough to get accurate focusing.

Malcolm

Malcolm

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> Malcolm wrote:
> >
> > There are frequently questions here about how to digitize 35mm slides. I

saw
> > a reply about making your own slide copier, so I decided to give it a

try.

> > This one is made entirely of cardboard!
> >
> > Have a look at it here:
> > http://tinyurl.com/c2et8
> >
> > Malcolm

> About your remark on copying negatives with the orange mask. If you use
> auto white balance the camera will attempt to balance the negative,
> ruining the colors. Use manual white balance set for the illumination
> you are using, e.g. daylight, and the resulting image should retain the
> orange look of the negative. Then, in Photoshop or PSP, invert the
> negative to a positive, it will look pale and cyan, then using levels,
> hit Auto Level and the image should then look pretty good.
>
> Colin D.

I do use manual white balance. I set this before attaching the slide
duplicator to the camera.

I find that using Auto Levels to adjust colours doesn't always work well.
Some photos come out OK, others don't. When I manually adjust the colours,
the amount of the adjustment varies from one photo to the next. I can't just
find an optimum adjustment and apply to it all photos.

Slides come out well without applying any colour adjustment at all. Things
like sunsets need to be underexposed when the slide is photographed.

Malcolm