Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Nikon full frame sensor

Nikon full frame sensor

kombi45@yahoo.com

Your thoughts on if it will ever happen, please! Part two: If no, why
not?

Ben

sid derra

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Your thoughts on if it will ever happen, please! Part two: If no, why
> not?
>
> Ben

yes

Bill Hilton

> Ben writes ...
>
>Your thoughts on if it will ever happen, please!

A couple of Nikon spokesmen are on record as saying Nikon will not make
a full-sized sensor dSLR. A couple of other Nikon spokesmen are on
record as saying Nikon *might* make a full-sized sensor dSLR "if the
professional market warrants it". So they are not very clear in their
statements to date.

>If no, why not?

One reason is that Nikon does not design and manufacture its own
sensors (unlike Canon) so unless Sony or Kodak (been there, failed at
that with the 14n) or someone else makes these sensors Nikon won't have
access to them. A second reason is that the buying public may decide
that 1.5x sensors offer enough resolution and there isn't a big demand
for full sized sensors, but if the price keeps dropping it's hard to
see this holding true at the higher end.

But if Canon can keep driving down the costs of full frame sensors at
the same rate as the past few years you'd think Nikon will have little
choice but to try to come up with a competitive solution, one way or
another.

Bill

Rita Berkowitz

Bill Hilton wrote:

> One reason is that Nikon does not design and manufacture its own
> sensors (unlike Canon) so unless Sony or Kodak (been there, failed at
> that with the 14n) or someone else makes these sensors Nikon won't
> have access to them. A second reason is that the buying public may
> decide that 1.5x sensors offer enough resolution and there isn't a
> big demand for full sized sensors, but if the price keeps dropping
> it's hard to see this holding true at the higher end.

I'm not really sure I really would want a FF at this point since I'm so used
to the 1.5x factor. I really don't use WA enough to want to throw away that
bonus on the long end. Then again, if I had a FF to try I might change my
mind. I just find it interesting that the Canon crowd now has to worry
about the edges being soft with FF. I'm not sure I'm ready for that worry
with my Nikon lenses.

Rita

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed). com>, Bill
Hilton <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> A couple of Nikon spokesmen are on record as saying Nikon will not make
> a full-sized sensor dSLR. A couple of other Nikon spokesmen are on
> record as saying Nikon *might* make a full-sized sensor dSLR "if the
> professional market warrants it". So they are not very clear in their
> statements to date.

They don't *WANT* to. My gut feeling is that they'll try and tough it
out, hoping people will buy enough DX lenses that they'll forget about
full frame. If that doesn't work and Canon starts to eat too much of
their lunch, they'll cave and introduce it.

JR

> One reason is that Nikon does not design and manufacture its own
> sensors (unlike Canon) so unless Sony or Kodak (been there, failed at
> that with the 14n) or someone else makes these sensors Nikon won't have
> access to them.

Not true at all.. The LBCAST and LBCAST II in the D2H and D2HS cameras
are manufactured by Nikon. This sensor is one of the best sensors made
for noise, color, and resolution. At 4.1 megapixels, this cameras
output rivals 6-8 megapixel cameras. They are developing, in house a
higher resolution LBCAST based sensor which if it has the same qualities
as the 4.1 MP sensor, then it will be a VERY nice sensor. Will they
make it a FF? I say no...there is no need to. WHy do you want a FF
sensor? For wide angle lenses? Nikon has an EXCELLENT 12-24mm
zoom...The D2X high speed crop mode is a great mode for sports
shooters....

JR

GTO

Yes. - In 2008 (or later), what would your rather buy? An FF sensor with
32MPixels or a DX format sensor with 32MPixels?

Gregor

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Your thoughts on if it will ever happen, please! Part two: If no, why
> not?
>
> Ben

GTO

The mount of pixels will continue to increase for the next couple of years.
That's marketing strategy and has not much to do with reasoning. Nikon's
LBCAST project is delayed that's why the D2X ships with a CMOS image sensor.
Is Nikon capable of producing a 12MPixel (or at least 10MPixel) LBCAST
sensor? Maybe. (Personally, I would like to see a 10MPixel LBCAST CCD image
sensor in the next D100 upgrade.)

Regarding FF, again, more pixels require more real estate, otherwise your
pixels get too small and hence to noise images will result from this. If
people prefer DX, Nikon could introduce an FF mode and a DX mode on their
future DSLRs and leave it up to us what we want. Remember, with Nikon's SLR
cameras, we were able to choose the film. At least, I would like to choose
the cropping factor

Gregor

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

kombi45@yahoo.com

JR wrote:
>WHy do you want a FF
> sensor? For wide angle lenses?

I would like a wider field of view for my zoom lens so I can capture a
full subject at closer ranges as the situation warrants...so as to not
_have_ to change the lens constantly.

Rita Berkowitz

> JR wrote:
>> WHy do you want a FF
>> sensor? For wide angle lenses?

> I would like a wider field of view for my zoom lens so I can capture a
> full subject at closer ranges as the situation warrants...so as to not
> _have_ to change the lens constantly.

What lenses do you have now that you can't do this? I have a 17-35mm and a
28-70mm f/2.8 that do what I need to do quit well. And I really don't want
to give up that 1.5x factor on my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR.

Rita