Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Zone System with B&W Digital?

Zone System with B&W Digital?

Tom Nakashima

I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
use the Zone System?
I haven't experimented with the Zone System in digital yet, but I have used
it in medium and large format with film.
I used a Pentex Spot meter to read EV's and placed the values in their zones
accordingly. Since my digital camera now has a built in spot meter there is
probably no need for the external meter. I just wanted to know how digital
photographers are using the Zone System. Also when setting the camera
function in the Black & White mode, does it change the metering? I haven't
seen it in the readings, but not sure if it corrects automatically?
Oh, the camera I'm using is the Olympus C8080
Input would be much appreciated.
-tom

Jim

"Tom Nakashima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djb01g$3i4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
>use the Zone System?
> I haven't experimented with the Zone System in digital yet, but I have
> used it in medium and large format with film.
> I used a Pentex Spot meter to read EV's and placed the values in their
> zones accordingly. Since my digital camera now has a built in spot meter
> there is probably no need for the external meter. I just wanted to know
> how digital photographers are using the Zone System. Also when setting the
> camera function in the Black & White mode, does it change the metering? I
> haven't seen it in the readings, but not sure if it corrects
> automatically?
> Oh, the camera I'm using is the Olympus C8080
> Input would be much appreciated.
> -tom

I don't see why not as long as you remember that digital acts more like
slide film than negative film.
Jim

John A. Stovall

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 08:04:16 -0700, "Tom Nakashima"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
>use the Zone System?
>I haven't experimented with the Zone System in digital yet, but I have used
>it in medium and large format with film.
>I used a Pentex Spot meter to read EV's and placed the values in their zones
>accordingly. Since my digital camera now has a built in spot meter there is
>probably no need for the external meter. I just wanted to know how digital
>photographers are using the Zone System. Also when setting the camera
>function in the Black & White mode, does it change the metering? I haven't
>seen it in the readings, but not sure if it corrects automatically?
>Oh, the camera I'm using is the Olympus C8080
>Input would be much appreciated.
>-tom

Here's on. Just google if it.

http://www.normankoren.com/zonesystem.html

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/

Randall Ainsworth

In article <djb01g$3i4$(E-Mail Removed)>, Tom Nakashima
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
> use the Zone System?

I learned the Zone System late in life, after doing B&W for years the
wrong way. I haven't tried to apply it to digital though.

kctan

With a good RAW image taken, you can used level and curve adjustments to
fit in any zone you like. Understanding of level and curve adjustments is
needed and definitely not the trial and error manipulation.

news:KZ76f.5032$q%(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Tom Nakashima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:djb01g$3i4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers
>>who use the Zone System?
>> I haven't experimented with the Zone System in digital yet, but I have
>> used it in medium and large format with film.
>> I used a Pentex Spot meter to read EV's and placed the values in their
>> zones accordingly. Since my digital camera now has a built in spot meter
>> there is probably no need for the external meter. I just wanted to know
>> how digital photographers are using the Zone System. Also when setting
>> the camera function in the Black & White mode, does it change the
>> metering? I haven't seen it in the readings, but not sure if it corrects
>> automatically?
>> Oh, the camera I'm using is the Olympus C8080
>> Input would be much appreciated.
>> -tom
>>

> I don't see why not as long as you remember that digital acts more like
> slide film than negative film.
> Jim

Lorem Ipsum

"Tom Nakashima" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:djb01g$3i4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers who
>use the Zone System?

It makes no sense to use the zone system for digital imaging, but it does
help to understand what it is. With digital, the medium's response curve can
be modified as you wish to accomodate brightness range in ways that film
photographer/wet darkroom can only approximate with a lot of exposure,
development adjustment and masking while printing.

bmoag

I would think raw zonally while taking the picture with the camera and
process Photoshoply to adjust tones regionally as desired.

Dave-East Englewood

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 01:54:48 +0800, "kctan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>>>I was wondering if there were any Black and White digital photographers
>>>who use the Zone System?

> With a good RAW image taken, you can used level and curve adjustments to
>fit in any zone you like. Understanding of level and curve adjustments is
>needed and definitely not the trial and error manipulation.

Actually, a RAW image is not required. Curves, gamma, levels, mid and
white point adjustment, etc. all work just fine on a low compression
JPG.

Dave
East Englewood
The proof is in the print.

kctan

Quite true with minimal adjustment as it got only 8bit of gray tones. With
raw you got 16bit and that is 65536 compare to 256. You are running a risk
with posterization also for having just 256 gray tones to manipulate. Hope
you see the diff.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...