Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > WinXP Home no longer has Zero Wireless Confuration listed in Services!!!

WinXP Home no longer has Zero Wireless Confuration listed in Services!!!

Frank Pulsucki Jr

I am trying to be able to search for nearby wireless signal but I do not
have the Zero Wireless Configuration service even listed in Services. Is
there any way to add or kick start it to be able to start and stop and
such??? I had tried to install a D-Link wireless "B" card and I remember at
that time I saw other wireless sites and it let me choose. I returned the
card as I had very poor range so I gave up until I could get a better card.
Now there are no listed signals and the advance button (grayed out) won't
work to search or add. Any thoughts other that reinstall Win XP???

--
Sorry but due to so many viruses being sent by so many children!
To reply remove spamsucks!!

Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows]

One of the original install programs for one of the D-Link cards was
known to do this. To fix:

Open services and scroll down to Wireless Zero Configuration Service,
Start the service and set it to automatic. If it does not show in the
list of Services:

run regedit and find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WZCSVC

add a DWORD entry named "Start" and
value "2"

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 21:36:39 -0500, "Frank Pulsucki Jr"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am trying to be able to search for nearby wireless signal but I do not
>have the Zero Wireless Configuration service even listed in Services. Is
>there any way to add or kick start it to be able to start and stop and
>such??? I had tried to install a D-Link wireless "B" card and I remember at
>that time I saw other wireless sites and it let me choose. I returned the
>card as I had very poor range so I gave up until I could get a better card.
>Now there are no listed signals and the advance button (grayed out) won't
>work to search or add. Any thoughts other that reinstall Win XP???

--
Barb Bowman
Expert Zone Columnist
MS-MVP (Windows)

Frank Pulsucki Jr

Thank-you very much that was exactly what I needed to jump start it again to
work!
Frank
news:(E-Mail Removed)...